Kindle help

donella

My grandaughter wants a Kindle for christmas but I am really confused on what to buy.She said something about unlimited WIFI.Any ideas on which one to buy?

All the kindles come wi-fi ready. Some come with 3g which means you have access to Amazon anywhere not just where there is wi fi.

There are 4 new kindles coming for release in November. You need to ask her if she wants a reader or a tablet. It is confusing for some parents since the kids are wanting the kindle Fire tablet. All kindles have wifi which is always free since you provide it. The Fire does not have 3g, but it is a tablet and you can buy app games and stream movies from amazon on it. You can also put your music and pictures on it and your kindle books. You should go to amazon.com and look at the new product page, go to their kindle discussion forums and look for more information on them if you need it. I am on there everyday. I preordered my son the fire since he doesn't want a reader,he wants the gaming and movie availability of the tablet. THe kindle keyboard is what I have. It's an ereader, it is wifi only or wifi and 3g. The 3g is only necessary if you travel a lot and still want to dowload books while you are gone. The plain kindle is cheaper but has half the battery and half the storage, it's a stripped down kindle. THe new kindle touch is preorder now for November, it's a kindle reader with a touchscreen. SO you need to ask if she wants one of the readers, or the tablet.

All the kindles come wi-fi ready. Some come with 3g which means you have access to Amazon anywhere not just where there is wi fi.

I have the one with 3G, WiFi and special offers. Mine is the last release with the keyboard. Getting DH the new touch this year. This model does have a very basic web browser that works free with 3G.

If you pick one that comes in special offers vs. without special offers, i would save the $40 and get the offers. They don't appear when you are reading at all, only as the screen image when it's turned off. Most of them are some sort of Amazon discount and in just a couple months I've saved half the original cost of my kindle.

I would be hesitant to get a tablet for someone who is going to use it mainly for reading. non-tablets use e-ink technology that looks like paper and doesn't strain the eyes. Tablets use LCD screens and reading on them DOES strain eyes. But certainly ask which one she wants because the Kindle Fire is a tablet.

They all would. There is a recipe thread on kindle forums. You can put photos on teh kindles or send the recipes to the kindle as a document. Not sure about works, I think you would have to convert it. You can look at the Fire page, it has all the accepted formats listed on it.

Hi! I want something I can put my recipes in works format on.. I can't do that with my iPod or iPad. Would one of the kindles work for this?

Thanks!

The Touch that you are buying will not work free with 3g. It has been the subject of a lot of discussion on kindle forums. Amazon has limited the new kindles 3g coverage to the amazon store and wikipedia only, You will only be able to use the browser with the new kindles on wifi.

I have the one with 3G, WiFi and special offers. Mine is the last release with the keyboard. Getting DH the new touch this year. This model does have a very basic web browser that works free with 3G.

If you pick one that comes in special offers vs. without special offers, i would save the $40 and get the offers. They don't appear when you are reading at all, only as the screen image when it's turned off. Most of them are some sort of Amazon discount and in just a couple months I've saved half the original cost of my kindle.

I would be hesitant to get a tablet for someone who is going to use it mainly for reading. non-tablets use e-ink technology that looks like paper and doesn't strain the eyes. Tablets use LCD screens and reading on them DOES strain eyes. But certainly ask which one she wants because the Kindle Fire is a tablet.

I just confirmed with an Amazon rep that in fact the new ones do not have the free browser (thank you, I had one on preorder that my husband does not want now). And even on the ones with free 3G they put it on as an experimental browser and all of the experimental options can be turned off by Amazon at any time (in the fine print). So free 3G could end at any time as well. Edited by angleyez423

I just confirmed with an Amazon rep that in fact the new ones do not have the free browser (thank you, I had one on preorder that my husband does not want now). And even on the ones with free 3G they put it on as an experimental browser and all of the experimental options can be turned off by Amazon at any time (in the fine print). So free 3G could end at any time as well.

So if I ordered the fire it won't have to browser? I think I will cancel my order also.

They ALL still have the browser, but to browse the internet its wifi only, even with the Fire , it's wifi only. The only thing they did was LIMIT the 3g use on the 3g models to amazon store and wikipedia. All kindles from the kindle keyboard on have internet browsers. THe used to have free 3g, now only the keyboard has free 3g, the others are wifi only for browsing. Yes, they are all ereaders, but they do still have browsers, I have one. Edited by peppysfireball

They ALL still have the browser, but to browse the internet its wifi only, even with the Fire , it's wifi only. The only thing they did was LIMIT the 3g use on the 3g models to amazon store and wikipedia. All kindles from the kindle keyboard on have internet browsers. THe used to have free 3g, now only the keyboard has free 3g, the others are wifi only for browsing. Yes, they are all ereaders, but they do still have browsers, I have one.

Yes all the Kindle ereaders have an "experimental browser" The Kindle Fire has "Amazon Silk cloud-accelerated browser" I have the Nook 1st gen and it also has a browser but I find it very slow.

So... Help me decide..nook color or kindle fire. I am getting this for my special needs child. I want it to be able to read books to him, search the web. I want something with flash if possible and updated android 3??

We have a iPod and iPad but I want something small for his hands... He is 7..

So... Help me decide..nook color or kindle fire. I am getting this for my special needs child. I want it to be able to read books to him, search the web. I want something with flash if possible and updated android 3??

We have a iPod and iPad but I want something small for his hands... He is 7..

Neither the Nook color or the Kindle Fire have Android 3 as far as I know. The has Amazon Silk cloud-accelerated browser

The Fire has flash , that has been talked about . There is a comparison thread on amazon between teh nook and the Fire. The fire has a more advanced os among many other things. The nook is a reader, the fire is a tablet. You can go search the forums and see for yourself, but you can't compare the two, the fire is more comparable to the ipod touch. The nook has never had text to speech. I have bveen looking at some cool interactive books on amazon, that would make reading much more fun for a child. I have one on preorder for mine. He is older and wants it for the apps. SOme of them are very educational.

wow, all of this info realy helps me.. but i'm still so lost! There are so many things to choose from, that i know Nothing about. we have a desktop computer.. and thats it. lol

I have been trying tounderstand about the ipod touch.. tablets... kindle fire...( im not even going to mention the ipad because its out of my budget lol)

I am wanting to understand more??? something that is not just for reading books on. something that can surf the web? play games on? help learn math? listen to music? photos? take video? any advice? thanks.

wow, all of this info realy helps me.. but i'm still so lost! There are so many things to choose from, that i know Nothing about. we have a desktop computer.. and thats it. lol

I have been trying tounderstand about the ipod touch.. tablets... kindle fire...( im not even going to mention the ipad because its out of my budget lol)

I am wanting to understand more??? something that is not just for reading books on. something that can surf the web? play games on? help learn math? listen to music? photos? take video? any advice? thanks.

The Ipod touch has a 2 cameras, the Kindle Fire does not have any cameras. There are tablets that have camera. The touch, fire you can read on (touch is a little small) None of them are like a stand alone ereader that you can read outside in the sun because they have the e-ink. Both of them need wi fi to access the internet. My DS uses his Ipod touch to check emails and FB. There are other tablets out there that are anywhere from $150 - $300 that do similar you would just have to compare.

I am getting my DH a Kindle fire so that he can stream netflix (I heard you will be able to) and stream from Amazon. He does not need a camera, just something to do when he is down at his Dad's apt. during the week for work. The one thing I do wish was that the Fire had an sd slot so that he could record movies to watch when he does not have wi fi.

I would love to find a tablet in the price range of the Kindle Fire with an SD slot that could stream AMazon and Netflix. We have a lowend tablet but it cannot do either, we got it for the kids to use as an ereader.

Hope I was some help ;)

Netflix streaming on the fire is not available at this time. They have had favorable talks with Netflix, but when it is released, it will have no app at that time. The Fire can't compare to the Ipad, but on amazon they say it compares to the Ipod Touch, only bigger. It doesn't have the eink, so will be harder to read on outside.

That is really weird. I read somewhere that you could stream netflix, not that it matters since I plan on cancelling netflix to go with Amazon streaming since I have Prime and its free. We will keep the 1 dvd at a time with Netflix or may go with redbox or somewhere else.