Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

I was going to buy a Nook color this year for my wife, but then the Amazon Fire has come out. I like the fire better, except for 2 things, no SD slot and does not support epub, my wife has hundreds of epubs. So I am thinking we will still go with the nook color.

I was going to buy a Nook color this year for my wife, but then the Amazon Fire has come out. I like the fire better, except for 2 things, no SD slot and does not support epub, my wife has hundreds of epubs. So I am thinking we will still go with the nook color.

Use Calibre to manage your ebook library and you'll be able to convert and export your epub books to the kindle format. It's very simple to use.

Use Calibre to manage your ebook library and you'll be able to convert and export your epub books to the kindle format. It's very simple to use.

Thank you, great to know....mow my decsion has gotten harder, now the only bad thing is that no sd slot

the fire isn't out until November 15th. Why not wait until you can actually try out a demo unit and then make a decision then? I know I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire on a whim....what if I'd end up hating it? or what if Amazon did not let me download the movies and tv shows I already had purchased, because they say I already have the things on the max of two devices? That's why I would rather try a demo unit out. Plus, I'd like the latest Android OS and not be stuck with an Amazon modified one. On my current kindle, I can't have my own screen saver images....I have to use whatever pops up. Hopefully the new Fire won't be like that. If I were to get any of the new Kindles, I'd get the touch.

I'm still on the hunt for a tablet....a real tablet...not an Amazon media tablet......I would love to get one before Christmas....but I'll just have to see what the prices are for the new ones.

The one reason is thats amazon gives you 30 days to try it out. If you don't like it you can return it. And mrn8, calibre will only convert books that have no drm, so you can't take your barnes ands noble books or your sony books, etc, and convert them. I didn't think the sd slot was a problem, I can keep a file on my desktop with all my sons psp movies, or upload them to the cloud. I uploaded most of my books an music to the cloud already. Amazon stuff of course is stored in the cloud and doesn't use any of your free 5gb.

the fire isn't out until November 15th. Why not wait until you can actually try out a demo unit and then make a decision then? I know I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire on a whim....what if I'd end up hating it? or what if Amazon did not let me download the movies and tv shows I already had purchased, because they say I already have the things on the max of two devices? That's why I would rather try a demo unit out. Plus, I'd like the latest Android OS and not be stuck with an Amazon modified one. On my current kindle, I can't have my own screen saver images....I have to use whatever pops up. Hopefully the new Fire won't be like that. If I were to get any of the new Kindles, I'd get the touch.

I'm still on the hunt for a tablet....a real tablet...not an Amazon media tablet......I would love to get one before Christmas....but I'll just have to see what the prices are for the new ones.

If you are referring to Calibre, It isn't a questionable way to download anything. I am just confused. I read through all the posts and no one has mentioned any way to download books that is questionable. Amazon allows non amazon content to be put in the cloud. THey allow you to put all your itunes in there or any other movies,etc that you have bought from other places. Calibre is a legal, accepted software that stores and converts books. It is not a way to download . It is mentioned on amazon as a good way to manage your kindle library. It does not convert drm books, but there are many places that sell drm free books legally. like smashworkds, baen, etc. It is very legal.

10" Samsung Galaxy can now be found for around $500 and 10" Toshiba Thrive can be found for less than $450. Will they be available for less than $250 on BF? That's my price point so I sure hope so, but I'm thinking no, they won't.

Ok. I don't know if this will help the above shoppers with their decisions but here it goes. I am a bit of a tech junkie :) I do not work with computers ,but I Read DAILY Engadget and Gizmodo- and if you truely are thinking of buying something I highly suggest seeing what those sites have to say about it. I personally love my "toys" and currently own a kindle, a nook color and the original 7inch Galaxy Tab-- I also am currently am running around with an Original Droid cell phone (I am up for an early upgrade but am waiting for the awesome next gen phones to come out). Here is what I have to say about my devices: THE KINDLE- Love e-ink in the bright sun, hat the way I have to self catagorize my books, love all the free amazon books, hate how I have to manipulate said books to put them on the nook or other devices where I don't have a kindle app. I managed to damage a pixel on the kindle 2 weeks after getting it, got it 2nd hand brand new in box from a friend who bought it off of an auction site, so no return to amazon for a replacement for me- not a big deal but in a way annoying. Pain in the butt beta web browser, and music player is a bit tinny to me. Of my 3 devices the first I would easily sell without regret. THE NOOK Love the screen-good clear crisp doesn't do badly in direct sunlight after you change the settings and you can buy an anti glare screen cover for it- still not happy the way it won't display non barnes and nobel book covers, love the sd card slot, plays music like a dream, can put any book on it even amazon (after reformatting them). What I don't like is how barnes and nobel handles their apps- it is irritating to pay for angry birds and other apps free on the android market. The best thing though is that you can easily change the nook into a full featured tablet by rooting it (How to do this is often covered by others in the barnes and nobel forums). This is my second favorite device and the 2nd that I would sell if I ever had too. THE 7IN GALAXY TAB- What can I say I love this device- the screen has clean crisp colors, gorilla glass, it takes micro sd cards, full android app market, i have the nook and kindle apps on it , lol. It does everything I ask it to effortlessly. Of all my devices this is the one I will never sell. In fact I am considering getting a bigger tablet because of how much I like this one. The 3 bigger tablets I am trying to decide from(having researched them) are these in the order I favor them 1. Asus Transformer 2 2. The 10.1 Galaxy Tab 3. The Motorola Xoom It is all down to which has the better bf deal now. If you have any questions about these devices just ask me I am happy to share all the info I have. :)

Just in case anyone is still looking for one of these..... I got this e-mail tonight regarding the HP Touchpad:

Making sure customers have a positive experience when they purchase our products is a priority for us. In some cases, limited inventory makes it challenging to fulfill all customer orders. As you signed up for updates on the HP TouchPad, we wanted you to know that we are officially out of stock. Some retailers will have some stock available, but our online inventory is depleted.

Thank you for your interest in this product and the feedback you provided. Your input plays a critical role in defining our product roadmap and will help us continue to bring innovative products to market.

Sincerely,

HP

Looks like some retailers will have them available.

Edited by Kim3498

According to Engadget = Best Buy will be having some sort of a deal starting Nov. 1st where you can buy a HP Computer and get the HP Touchpad with it for $149.00 More. Am Not sure if they are only going to be honoriing that with just certain computers or all of their HP's but when I was on Best buy earlier I saw that they don't offer an HP laptop under $300.00 so make what you will out of this deal......

According to Engadget = Best Buy will be having some sort of a deal starting Nov. 1st where you can buy a HP Computer and get the HP Touchpad with it for $149.00 More. Am Not sure if they are only going to be honoriing that with just certain computers or all of their HP's but when I was on Best buy earlier I saw that they don't offer an HP laptop under $300.00 so make what you will out of this deal......

If you are going to go the Best Buy route on getting that HP TouchPad... Might as well buy an iPad. You have to buy the desktop or laptop and then pay $150 for the 32gb HP TouchPad. Now if you need a new desktop or a laptop that is not a bad deal.

Just some info, kindles don't have pixels, They have a liquid ink screen like an etch a sketch. It doesn't matter where you got it. all kindles have a year warranty, no matter where you bought it. Mine was a gift, but i've had it replaced twice. You just tell amazon you got it as a gift. No big deal, they will replace it.

Ok. I don't know if this will help the above shoppers with their decisions but here it goes. I am a bit of a tech junkie :) I do not work with computers ,but I Read DAILY Engadget and Gizmodo- and if you truely are thinking of buying something I highly suggest seeing what those sites have to say about it. I personally love my "toys" and currently own a kindle, a nook color and the original 7inch Galaxy Tab-- I also am currently am running around with an Original Droid cell phone (I am up for an early upgrade but am waiting for the awesome next gen phones to come out). Here is what I have to say about my devices: THE KINDLE- Love e-ink in the bright sun, hat the way I have to self catagorize my books, love all the free amazon books, hate how I have to manipulate said books to put them on the nook or other devices where I don't have a kindle app. I managed to damage a pixel on the kindle 2 weeks after getting it, got it 2nd hand brand new in box from a friend who bought it off of an auction site, so no return to amazon for a replacement for me- not a big deal but in a way annoying. Pain in the butt beta web browser, and music player is a bit tinny to me. Of my 3 devices the first I would easily sell without regret. THE NOOK Love the screen-good clear crisp doesn't do badly in direct sunlight after you change the settings and you can buy an anti glare screen cover for it- still not happy the way it won't display non barnes and nobel book covers, love the sd card slot, plays music like a dream, can put any book on it even amazon (after reformatting them). What I don't like is how barnes and nobel handles their apps- it is irritating to pay for angry birds and other apps free on the android market. The best thing though is that you can easily change the nook into a full featured tablet by rooting it (How to do this is often covered by others in the barnes and nobel forums). This is my second favorite device and the 2nd that I would sell if I ever had too. THE 7IN GALAXY TAB- What can I say I love this device- the screen has clean crisp colors, gorilla glass, it takes micro sd cards, full android app market, i have the nook and kindle apps on it , lol. It does everything I ask it to effortlessly. Of all my devices this is the one I will never sell. In fact I am considering getting a bigger tablet because of how much I like this one. The 3 bigger tablets I am trying to decide from(having researched them) are these in the order I favor them 1. Asus Transformer 2 2. The 10.1 Galaxy Tab 3. The Motorola Xoom It is all down to which has the better bf deal now. If you have any questions about these devices just ask me I am happy to share all the info I have. :)

Didn't realize that amazon was that flexible- Thanks. And I knew that it wasn't a pixel in the truest sense of the word, but when trying to explain the damage I have found that using the term damaged pixel is sooooo much easier to explain. Some times it is easier to break things down lol :)

Just went to Best Buy to check out the tablets. I plan on getting the Kindle Fire for DH to use when he stays at his Dads during the week (no cable) he can at least stream Amazon movies.

We were looking at the Ipad for DS15 for combo 16th bday and xmas present. We checked out the Asus transformer recommended by someone earlier and think its wonderful. It will work perfectly for DS. We are looking for a tablet that he will be able to run a word processing program on for school. He has long bus rides going to swim meets, and also has alot of papers to write for his AP class. The asus comes with a processor and has capabilities for expanded storage unlike the ipad. If it goes on sale will be very happy.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Racer fan- will be sending you a PM- had to wait til I hit my 5th post, lol. Sorry :)

BTW folks the transformer 2 (a.k.a The Prime) will be announced Nov. 9th, and the Xoom 2 will be announced before too much longer. Anyone other than me getting excited? :)

Racer fan- will be sending you a PM- had to wait til I hit my 5th post, lol. Sorry :)

BTW folks the transformer 2 (a.k.a The Prime) will be announced Nov. 9th, and the Xoom 2 will be announced before too much longer. Anyone other than me getting excited? :)

Maybe that will mean there will be a deal on the Transformer on BF:tongue1: We can only hope. DH was with me today and really liked the Transformer. I personally am not an Apple lover, but was told that it would fit my DS needs for school. Since he is working so hard, we are trying to help out by making life easier anyway we can.

If anyone hears anything let me know, I am on pins and needles waiting for the ads to come out lol

Thanks Reiny

Target has the Ipad 2 with a $40 giftcard in store this week. Could this be a good sign of better deals to come for BF?

Walmart has it with a $50 itunes gift card this week too. I am hoping. NOt sure if we are getting the ipad, leaning more towards Asus Transformer just because it has a keyboard

docking station.

Walmart has it with a $50 itunes gift card this week too. I am hoping. NOt sure if we are getting the ipad, leaning more towards Asus Transformer just because it has a keyboard

docking station.

My daughter has the Ipad2 in layaway since the first day they open it. Do you think if we go with the ad they will give her the $50 itune card?

Stores can not undersell the Ipad or Ipad2, it's locked in price by Apple.. that's why you see all of these gift cards or cases added to bundles for the same price as the Ipad by itself. They're trying to add "value" while still keeping the same MSRP. You might find bigger gift cards during BF, but not cheaper prices.

I know the price will not go lower, but hoping for a bigger giftcard to buy some accessories with. I'm debating on going ahead and getting it now..... I would go with Target if I did and get the store giftcard . The itunes card will really not work that great for us, I know DS will buy apps and games, but I think he wants it more to stream movies online.