Buy now or wait for Black Friday? (tech items)

bfaddict1977

I'd suggest that you buy the 3dsi and then wait for the BF ads, that should be out this month. Then week or so before if you find something that you want , go ahead and buy it then. Then the week after black friday, if needed make your returns then. At least you'll know most of the sales, at that point.

my concern is that the 2-3 of each i need wont be available on bf. otherwise i'd be fine waiting.

I totally agree with you, this will be your biggest problem. I'm not familiar enough with the stuff to say whether it will be available afterwards though. Ipods can go either way since they're still extremely popular, I think if you see any offer on them now you should go for it. I think the same for the gaming systems, as it gets closer to christmas more and more people will be buying their gifts and stock may be depleted no matter at what price. If you see a sale after you've bought it AND there's no restocking fee(or it's less than price difference) you can always buy cheaper one and return. Bj's has bundles of the systems but the savings don't seem huge.

my concern is that the 2-3 of each i need wont be available on bf. otherwise i'd be fine waiting.

Unfortunately, your right about that. The big ticket electronics are usually a limit of 1 per customer. You have alot of big ticket items that you need. I had alot of big ticket items myself last year, and was lucky to have Mom, MIL, SIL and a aunt, and cousin besides DH and myself, so we did manage to score all that we needed at Walmart. If you don't have alot of people willing to go with you, then it would be tough to get all that you need. I got a couple of the DS's on Amazon last year the same price as Walmart was selling them for BF the week of Thanksgiving in the lightning deals, and that made it alot easier to get all needed at Wally World. The great thing about Amazon was no shipping and no tax so they ended up even cheaper.

For the iPods I would look at apple.com I always get my iPods engraved with the receivers name on them. This isn't to stop the giver from giving it away as much as it is to save them from a brother or sister appropriating it.

I agree. Plus, I look at the engraving as a sort of theft protection if they take it to school....name is there and if it is scratched out, they are going to know it was stolen anyways.

From what I've seen the last couple of years, just about everything can be gotten before BF, with the exception of the Ipod, and sometimes the prices were even better than BF. I will get most of my "must-have" stuff before then, it takes a lot of pressure off and lets me really just enjoy the experience. I think you should be able to get the laptops and DSi before BF at comparable prices so if it looks good, I'd grab it then.

3DS is on Walmart.com for 169.96 w/flex case, not sure if this is the same as 3dsi or not. They offer free site to store.

Just checked amazon and this is their regular price so Walmart may have padded price to make this weeks ad seem good, said regular price 249.

Edited by tinkrbel

From what I've seen the last couple of years, just about everything can be gotten before BF, with the exception of the Ipod, and sometimes the prices were even better than BF. I will get most of my "must-have" stuff before then, it takes a lot of pressure off and lets me really just enjoy the experience. I think you should be able to get the laptops and DSi before BF at comparable prices so if it looks good, I'd grab it then.

While you shop, check for return policy so if you see a lower price you can return the higher priced item. You want to be able to return at least through mid-December (mid-January better), and keep in mind any restocking and shipping cost (prefer local return without fee, even if you order from a web site for stores with B&M stores near you.. Keep receipts and packaging (don't remove price or wrap gifts until mid December).

2 things ds lites are $99 at targets and walmarts, according to their sites. And also I do that every year, buy high, save receipts and when there's a great sale I take it back for cheaper. Especially at toys r us:) They know me there. I've saved A LOT of money doing that.

Whats the difference between a dsi and ds lite? I found the dsi for 99.99 is that a better system and worth it? Or still try to find the lite?

The DS Lite has the option to play gameboy advance games and DS games, the DSI plays only DS games and includes a camera. That really just depends on your child. My DS13 has both systems and I have noticed that he plays his DS Lite more than his DSI because of the Gameboy game option. Both are nice, and I'm sure your child will be happy with either. $99.99 seems like a good deal to me.....

Edited by Kim3498

Some places like walmart have a 2 week limit on electronic returns. You may want to consider the new kindle fire instead of ipads. Much more affordable.

I think I'm gonna buy now and return if the deals are better on bf. You're right...no gaurantee I'll get 3 of each system especially then and I can't take that chance.

It's amazons new tablet, up for preorder now for 199.00 . Very exciting over on amazon forums. I preordered one within minutes of it going online, People ordering today have estimated delivery of around December 5th, It's sold 100,000 units in 4 days. some of us watched the live streaming press conference on it. It's going to put a big crunch in Apples sales.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=sa_menu_kdpo3

what is the kindle fire? thx

im also looking for 2 laptops. on the "deal of the day" page it shows an offer thru besy buy for a toshiba laptop. to me looks like a good laptop for 279.99. anyone else have thoughts on this one?

I'm not sure if you mean THIS ONE, there's a sold out netbook under deal of the day. It seems decent although I'd check that whatever you're running(printers/external drives etc) has drivers for 64bit, I've run into a few problems.

It's amazons new tablet, up for preorder now for 199.00 . Very exciting over on amazon forums. I preordered one within minutes of it going online, People ordering today have estimated delivery of around December 5th, It's sold 100,000 units in 4 days. some of us watched the live streaming press conference on it. It's going to put a big crunch in Apples sales.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=sa_menu_kdpo3

A big difference between the 2 is the lack of a 3G model with the new Kindle Fire. You have the option with iPADs. While much cheaper, I don't see them affecting sells of them bc the 2 are very different. Also, another issue is the size...I have practically replaced my laptop with my iPAD 2, I can't imagine a Kindle Fire doing the same for me.

Are you sure that isn't a ds lite? The price seems more likely since dsi's are around 140.

I decided to have my dh pick up the dsi for my dd9 since Radioshack had it for 99.99 and I was seeing it for 149.00 all the other places that still had 1. To my surprise it rang up 69.99!! So excited when stuff like that happens.

The lady on the phone and my hubby said it was a dsi...not the xl but the regular dsi..but I can check for sure when he brings it home.

Yes, it was a a nintendo dsi, looks like a light blue, maybe turquoise? Super excited, anyone looking for one should check radioshack!