While we wait for the ads, check out a Best Buy ad from 15 years ago! (1996)

Marcster

We should post a link to this ad whenever someone posts the "This year's ads suck" comment.

It really puts into perspective how much electronics have come down in price.

That is why prior to 2004, all of my shopping was done at Compusa and Walmart. I would line up at Compusa for the midnight sale, then off to Walmart with the wifey. Best Buy was an afterthought back then. Good times though.

• 2 weeks later...
I found an old CompUSA ad in my jacket pocket recently (I forgot the year, prob circa 2000). They had a 20GB hard drive for $329 or something like that. My wife and I had a good laugh. I've got some scans from gottadeal BF ads for the last 4 or 5 years (I keep them, lol). Always funny to compare.

• 2 weeks later...
OMG! I was a Senior in High School then so I totally had a pager. We paid $69 for them to get them cheap! What in the world. I also had my own phone line with my siblings. And my mom was the only one I knew with a portable phone that was in a bag in the middle of her car, but no "cell" phone. She was a travelling sales manager for Allstate Insurance.

I get a lot of requests for printer recommendations, and I sometimes recommend a $25 HP because of the cheap cartridges and duration of refills. I cannot believe the number of people that have went without a printer for years assuming they still cost hundreds.

since you mention it:P Any recommendations on a good laser printer/multifunction with multi-sheet feeder

Love this ad. I know I bought that Hexen game and Links LS.

I find it interesting that all of these electronics have changed SO much, but the appliances pretty much do the same thing for the same prices...

- a washer/dryer pair for $600....bet we'll see something almost identical at Best Buy again this year for about the same price.

- dishwashers for between $300 and $400 mostly.

- full size fridges for about a grand

- microwaves for a little over a hundred

so i walked into Best Buy yesterday and the managers where at the door. they said "how are you today? can we help you find something?" i said, "yes you can. I'm looking for the Black Friday ad for Best Buy." they looked at me like i had three heads and was walking around the store naked!! they stumbled all over themselves and said, "um yeah we are too." BWAAAAAAH!!!!

I must be nuts....I must have gotten my 1st pc(that I spec'd/bought w/my own $) around that time and don't remember paying anywhere near that much but it was from RadioShack

we got our fisrt pc from Radio Shack in 1996.....the concept of a CDRom drive was so amazing!!! Paid $2500 for that too...and had to pay $800 for a dead hard drive fix after a year.