Black Friday Comparison Charts - Tell Us What You Think!

stationchief

Well, it's that time of year again, folks :D. This is where I'll be reporting all the BF chart updates for this year's BF season.

I'm officially making my annual call to all our GD members who would like to volunteer to help out this year with updating the charts. Basically, you'll be given the ads, access to my moderator site, and a chart. You'll need to hunt down the technical info from the manufacturer's and retailer's websites and update the info into an online form. I'll even see what I can do about adding a little 'incenticve' in there for the volunteers this year ;). If you look at all the charts we had last year, there's plenty for everyone to do so the more the merrier. If interested shoot me a PM.

Here's a brief listing of the charts that will be made for this season. If there's any hot electronics items I'm missing or if you have a suggestion for an item you'd like to see a chart for, lemme know:

Blu-ray players, camcorders, cameras, GPS, DVD standalone and portable players, desktops, DVD and blu-ray movies and TV show sets, gaming systems, HDTVs, laptops, MP3/iPod players, netbooks, tablets/iPads, video games, and eReaders.

In the meantime, ya can go have a look at last year's charts. This should give ya an idea of what to expect this BF season. Tell us what you all think of the charts: what you like about 'em, what don'tcha like, and what cool feature or add-on you'd like to see this year. Let your voice be heard!

Current 2011 Gottadeal Comparison Charts: www.blackfridaycharts.com

Lasrt year's 2010 charts: blackfriday.thestationchief.com/2010

Everyone enjoy!

The Station Chief

Update 10/29/2011: The charts for our first batch of 2011 ads are now LIVE! For comparison, the 2010 charts are still up at a new link: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com/2010.

Update 11/12/2011: The 2011 charts now have their own 'official' website! You can now find them here: www.blackfridaycharts.com

Edited by stationchief

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few thoughts I'd like from everyone: what do y'all think about the way all the charts are given? Too much info? Too little? What sort of features would ya like to see this year? I need some opinions on it as my mind is so tekkie-savy it's hard for me to see things from a typical consumer's point of view.

Also I've been thinking about adding DVD and blu-ray movies and TV show sets to the list this year. People seem to like those cheap movie bins at most stores. Be good to know where the best movie deals are.

Hello!

I've been around for several years, but have barely had time to read, much less volunteer for anything.

For the first time (ever, I think) I actually will have free time this year. I'm willing to help out however I can!

Thanks for a great site!

Michelle

Just a few thoughts I'd like from everyone: what do y'all think about the way all the charts are given? Too much info? Too little? What sort of features would ya like to see this year? I need some opinions on it as my mind is so tekkie-savy it's hard for me to see things from a typical consumer's point of view.

Also I've been thinking about adding DVD and blu-ray movies and TV show sets to the list this year. People seem to like those cheap movie bins at most stores. Be good to know where the best movie deals are.

Thank you! I think this is AWESOME of you to do for the GottaDeal community! It is appreciated!

Putting my thinking cap on...

What about an easier version for those that don't want/need all the technical mumbo jumbo? Like a simplified version. Maybe just stores/price/desc/memory for pcs/laptops - as an example.

(note I like what you have on it, just thinking those not technically inclined at all would look at it and not know what they see)

Or maybe a way to select what stuff the viewer displays (like they could choose to only show price/memory or price/screen size, etc)?

What about an easier version for those that don't want/need all the technical mumbo jumbo? Like a simplified version. Maybe just stores/price/desc/memory for pcs/laptops - as an example.

That's one thing I was considering doing. Something like being able to select what parts of the chart ya wanna see and even being able to show just those parts in the printable format. All that detail would help the serious tekkie shoppers lookin' for a great deal and it allows for non-tekkie folks to eliminate all the mumbo-jumbo.

I for one love the idea of TV Sets, Also Featured Blu Rays, DVD's. Mainly the movies that everyone will be buying. Perhaps for the bin movies could list the store, prices, and a few of the movies, as to get an idea of the movies there.

I think you will be in luck this year. The chief and i have discussed this very subject.

It would be nice to be able to specify certain criteria.

For instance, with HDTV's, this year I'm looking for a 50" or larger. But the list from last year has everything down to a 13". Probably only about 15% of the list is valuable to me. So perhaps a way to hide certain ones by checking a box next to them would be the easiest way. Then I could sort it by size, check all the ones that I'm not interested in and then refresh it with those gone. I could then proceed to sort it by whatever other thing across the top I wanted, like store (to eliminate stores not near me) or brand (if I'm dead set against a particular one or dead set on finding a specific one) and continue to whittle down the list as necessary.

It would be nice to be able to specify certain criteria.

For instance, with HDTV's, this year I'm looking for a 50" or larger. But the list from last year has everything down to a 13". Probably only about 15% of the list is valuable to me. So perhaps a way to hide certain ones by checking a box next to them would be the easiest way. Then I could sort it by size, check all the ones that I'm not interested in and then refresh it with those gone. I could then proceed to sort it by whatever other thing across the top I wanted, like store (to eliminate stores not near me) or brand (if I'm dead set against a particular one or dead set on finding a specific one) and continue to whittle down the list as necessary.

Sheesh! Talk about picky! :tongue1:

How 'bout something that lets ya sort things out of the charts one by one at a time. Like an option to keep/remove only items that are less than/greater than/equal to a certain value or equal to a certain brand/store/type/etc. Sorry, that's a rather mathematical way of putting it, but I hope ya get the idea. Wouldn't be that hard to do at all.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a feature to export to file? Sorry if this already exists but I didn't see one. I know copy/paste of the table could possibly work so it's not a show stopper.

thanks for all your hard work

Just do the printer friendly chart then copy/paste that into your fav editor.

Would there be enough interest for an LCD/LED computer monitor chart?

Maybe if you ask nicely ;). Been considering a 'Computer Accessories' chart that would include monitors.

UPDATE! --------->

Now that we have the first few ads with hot electronics goodies I've changed a few links around. The old charts will now be found here: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com/2010.

The 2011 charts will still be at the chart's main site: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com. My incorrigible team and I have been hard at work with all the hot electronics items from the first batch of ads that've come in: BJ's Warehouse, Marine Corps Exchange, and the rumored list of Radio Shack items. The 2011 charts will be makin' their debut tonite at the Black Friday Webcast. That is all.

I think I have updated all of the Gaming Systems, Video Games & Accessories and Tablets......whew!!!! :eyepoppin My eyes need rest cause I'm seeing triple...lol. I'm gonna rest my peepers and look over the charts again to catch anything I've missed. But these charts should be at least 97% complete with all ads including Walmart, Target and BB. I worked on them for a bit today while I was at work...shhh don't tell the boss man!!

I think I have Comparison Chart Syndrome. Both my eyes and fingers hurt. :(

I worked on them for a bit today while I was at work...shhh don't tell the boss man!!

First rule: never say anything on a public message board that might incriminate you later. Let's just hope 'The Boss' doesn't like good deals :gdparanoid:. I won't tell if you won't ;).