The MP3 Player Thread

TheDude

Updated w/CompUSA ad

Don't understand MP3 players? Hope this helps:

How MP3 works

CNET's MP3 Player buying guide

Here's the list, link goes to the retailer's page and review if available:

Wall Mart

Philips HDD077 2GB MP3 Player - $99.72 (CNET Review)

Radio Shack

Portable 1GB MP3 Player - $49.99 AR

Searz

MPIO 256MB MP3 Player - $19.99 AR (More Detailed specs)

Sony NW-E105PS Network Walkman 512MB MP3 Player - $79.99 (CNET Review)

CompuUSA

Argosy Technology MP-180 20 GB MP3 Player - $99.99 AR (DAP review)

Centon 256MB MP3 Player - $19.99 AR

Sandisk 512MB MP3 Player - $49.99 AR . (CNET Review)

Sony 1GB MP3 Player - $149.99 (CNET Review)

Sony 512MB MP3 Player - $99.99 (CNET Review)

Vibe 1GB MP3 Digital Audio Player - $99.99 AR

I'll update it as we go along.

Also post here if you have any experience with the said MP3 players.

Guest toby_corgi
Ipod is the only way to go due to quality, useability, and also best value due to Apple's dominant volume in this market. They have something like 80% market share for a reason. Look for Target 10% off coupons online or use the educational discount.

IMO, iPods are over rated and over priced. I think what a person needs depends on their usage and also their understanding of electronics/computers in the first place. A lot of my family will be the first to admit they need something very user friendly, which limits them in a sense. :) Epinions.com has a lot of reviews on most all MP3 players. :)

Guest toby_corgi

WTF, corgi? Do you work for apple?

Why do you hijack threads?

Again this thread is compiling all the MP3 on sale on BF. If the iPod happens to be one of them, I'll be glad to include them.

No, I just hate to see people think they're getting a great deal because they might be saving a few bucks. I learned long ago that when I went with the "best deal" that item usually went unused by me because it was "on sale" for a reason--they couldn't sell them otherwise. And then I end up getting what I should have bought in the first place. I've learned to try to skip the first step of this process and it saves me money in the long run. I wonder how many of the 10's of millions of Ipod owners have previously purchased MP3 players laying around unused...quite a few I would suspect.

Guest toby_corgi

IMO, iPods are over rated and over priced. I think what a person needs depends on their usage and also their understanding of electronics/computers in the first place. A lot of my family will be the first to admit they need something very user friendly, which limits them in a sense. :) Epinions.com has a lot of reviews on most all MP3 players. :)

Ipods are well known for being very user friendly. Even my wife who has a hard time figuring out gadgets picked up an Ipod and used it immediately with no instruction. By all means, check out an Ipod first hand before buying anything else. Apple absolutely owns this market for good reason.

Ipods are well known for being very user friendly. Even my wife who has a hard time figuring out gadgets picked up an Ipod and used it immediately with no instruction. By all means, check out an Ipod first hand before buying anything else. Apple absolutely owns this market for good reason.

There are a lot of MP3 players that are just as user friendly IMO. I believe this thread was started to give options to the consumer not knowing which to buy quite yet. ;)

There are a lot of MP3 players that are just as user friendly IMO. I believe this thread was started to give options to the consumer not knowing which to buy quite yet. ;)

Exactly. Just another Apple fanboy :lmao: Plenty of other MP3 player options. Check out dapreview.net for a lot of reviews and info :)

Guest BrownCow
I bought a Dell and then a Rio. Sold both on ebay and then got an iPod. I'm sold. Great product. Plan to upgrade to the Video iPod if my wish list gets in the right hands :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to all of this and am trying to figure out just what an MP3 is. Both my 16 and 14 yo boys want one. I have one on my phone, but never use it. What should I be looking for? If it has a hard drive will it skip like a portable cd player does sometimes? Will a hard drive work good even when they are riding bikes and skateboards? I saw the Phillip's link and those prices look really good. Has anyone had a Phillip's? Is it any good/ Thanks for all the help.