wireless surround sound system

djbklb

Welcome to Gottadeal,

Wow what a tough first question . . .

Do you have price range?

Do you need DVD playback, Dolby Digital Decoder 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1?

Is there something you had seen wireless, I'm not sure any systems come with wireless speakers by default, but someone may know here. . .

:)

C

My son has a seperate dvd/vcr combo player, along with a tv down in the rec room. He's asking for a surround sound system. I've read they can be wired or wireless.

I stopped in at Best Buy with my son to check things out & ask a sales clerk. I was told I could buy a la carte, which I don't want to do. I'm assuming that would be a more expensive route to take. Or, I could buy a home system package all in one that includes speakers & a receiver. Or, I could buy a dvd/cd player with speakers, no receiver. Seems silly to rebuy a dvd/cd player when he already has one.

I don't know which brand to go with either, Sony, Yamaha, etc. What wattage to select, 650, 750, higher, lower, etc. What features I should make sure it has, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Djbklb -- My local Sam's Club has two systems with wireless suround sound speakers. Do you have one of those nearby?

600 Watts or more should be fine, unless you like waking up the neighbors.

Personally, I just drilled holes in the floor of my living room and fished the wires across the ceiling of my basement.

Guest Kid Red

Wireless system will not have the same sound quality as a wired system. It may not be as cool, but it would sound better. As for brand, stick with the name brands as they have a name for a reason, usually because they have better following due to better products.

Don't buy an all-in-one with a player, it's not worth it. Either the speakers suck, or it's more expensive as a set. Figure a 6 channel system should have 50-100watts per channel, just apply that to the total wattage (which is probably inflated) I would not go Sony, they lie about wattage. Onkyo, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc are all good brands.