Need a good Vacuum Cleaner? Recommendations please!

dcmetro

I have a Dyson Animal and I just love it. We have a dog, a cat, and 5 kids and it does great! Our first floor is ceramic tile with a couple of really nice carpets on part of two of the rooms, with our second floor and steps being carpeted. This vacuum really does a great job and I don't have any complaints with it at all. It was pricey, but well worth it. Also you have to consider, you never have to buy bags, filters, or belts. Those add up over time.

No pets here. Also my budget is not over $200 for sure. Have a dirt devil..but its too heavy and build quality is not good. What is a good brand? Hoover, Bissell? besides dyson?

If you can find a used Oreck Commercial, they are light, easy to use and virtually indestructible, you cannot buy them new for your budget, but we were given one from family, if you happen to find one used I would highly recommend it. Plus the Oreck service reps will generally repair the vacuums for less than $50 dollars, so even if you find a broken one it may be worthwhile to give it a try.

C

Guest Unregistered
I second the Orecks- they do a great job, and are nice and light weight. Hmmm...this time last year they had a hald price deal on the deluxe model (not commercial)- I would check around and see if there are any specials

After killing a vaccuum a year, for 5 in a row, we talked to a repairman. He suggested a kenmore progressive. I never considered one before, but 5 years later, and 4 kids, I love it. In good housekeeping last month, they were rating a "best overall value" . hope it helps!!!

I also have a Dyson Animal. I hate it. I loved it when it was new, but it doesn't hold up. It is now just over a year old and acts like an old vacuum. Pieces started breaking within a month, and I'm not about to ship a whole vacuum to England as the warranty specifies. Several people I know love their Kirby brand, but I don't know how expensive they are.

I have a Hoover Windtunnel Bagless and it's great. You have to replace the main filter about once a year. It cost around 170 and it was rated 2 or 3 on Consumer Reports list last year. I have a dog and it gets up the hair and dander really well. The only down side of the bagless is disposing of the contents of the canister, it's kind of messy, but any bagless will be.

After killing a vaccuum a year, for 5 in a row, we talked to a repairman. He suggested a kenmore progressive. I never considered one before, but 5 years later, and 4 kids, I love it. In good housekeeping last month, they were rating a "best overall value" . hope it helps!!!

If I am not mistaken, Kenmore Progressive is made by Panasonic.

C Snyder

I also have a Dyson Animal. I hate it. I loved it when it was new, but it doesn't hold up. It is now just over a year old and acts like an old vacuum. Pieces started breaking within a month, and I'm not about to ship a whole vacuum to England as the warranty specifies. Several people I know love their Kirby brand, but I don't know how expensive they are.

Kirby's are around $1200.00 - no joke!

For my opinion of my DC14 Animal, go here:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=16321