Gift cards, love 'em or hate 'em?

josetann

My teenage son's give all thier friends GC to the movie theater for christmas then they all get together on New Years Eve and go to the movies!

I have some teenage cousins and we did this one year and they LOVED it. You never know what to get some teenagers anyway and everybody likes the movies.:gd_orange

I like them. I can pick out what I want and not have to exchange. I also like buying them for kids to give as gifts. When the kids need gifts for friends or school clubs, it's so easy to buy a GC and not worry about whether it's for a girl or boy, or age groups. A GC is great for all ages, girls and boys.

I give gcs often. I don't really like to give them, I'd rather find the perfect gift for someone. Knowing myself though, I would never get to the post office to mail the gift I bought. I also just can't figure out a good gift for some people. I really like getting them too. But I don't want just gcs from hubby and kids. They have to put some thought into it!

A note of warning concerning giving them to kids...some parents HATE it. It requires the parents to provide a ride to the store and hang around while the 10 year old takes forever to pick out earings at Claire's (or wherever the card is for).

I don't mind taking them to the store to spend them a bit--it's easier than standing in the return line or being stuck with something that no one wants. I'm shopping anyway and this way it's their money they are spending instead of mine so it works out cheaper for me in the long run too!!

Love them! Always get MIL a supermarket one for Christmas & her birthday since she's on a tight budget. 18 year old nephew always gets a mall GC because he's way too hard to buy for anymore. (It was so much easier when he just wanted a Power Ranger or Ninja Turtle!)

I love, love, love gift cards! My two kids, hubby and myself all have birthdays within 3 weeks of Christmas...we love to get gift cards, stash them away and then spend them over the year. It gives us the opportunity to get new clothes, toys, books, etc...ALL year and not feel guilty for dipping into the household money.

I also love to give gift cards, but I never just give the card. I try to find a fun way to present the card, or something neat with which to package it.

My dad wraps his Christmas gift cards/cash gifts in weighted plastic boxes (like gladware), because he is afraid they will get lost in the pile if they don't have some heft. He always says to leave the box if we want a refill--at the end of the night, there is always a neat little stack of boxes waiting to be stored for next year!

My dad wraps his Christmas gift cards/cash gifts in weighted plastic boxes (like gladware), because he is afraid they will get lost in the pile if they don't have some heft. He always says to leave the box if we want a refill--at the end of the night, there is always a neat little stack of boxes waiting to be stored for next year!

I love that!! That's a really cool idea! My FIL gives either gift cards or cash to the kids for Christmas and he usually puts it in something--last year it was a pillow each, the year before, it was a blanket--the year before that, he taped it to the top of a chinese checkers game :-)

I always like getting GCs - but then no one has ever given me one to anything other than a store I like to shop in.

I don't mind giving gift cards although I don't do it too often. Sometimes I'll use low dollar amount gift cards for stocking stuffers.

GCs to places like Starbucks or McDonalds are nice little surprises in a stocking.

We have two teenage neices that we always get Target gift cards for - we feel its better to let them pick out what they would like. We see them once a year and its hard to be sure we're picking out the right thing. So GCs it is!

:cheesy: