Have You Ever "Regifted" ?

diane175

I don't remember a time that I have. I did give my mom an extra Foreman grill we got one year, but not as a gift to her. Do you think it is wrong to regift? I have heard of some people that have closets filled with unwanted gifts that they use for gifts for other people.

Guest DigDoug

I don't think it is wrong, if the gift is something you might buy for that person.

I regifted once, but it really wasn't a regift. My department had one of those silly Christmas gift swaps. At the end of the swap I ended up with this M&M machine and a bag of plain M&Ms. Well, the dad of my girlfriend at the time was a huge M&M lover. I was looking for another small gift for him (I already had 1 thing for him and 2 things for his wife) and this seemed like the perfect fun gift for him.

Always, if I won't use it and someone else will...why not!!! However there is one major rule of regifting, you can't give it back to the person who gave it to you!! My mother in law did that one year with a snowman ornament and my sister in law and I were in stitches for hours giggling and everyone was trying to figure out why... to this day I stick it out where she can see it and she loses it everytime she walks by.

Always, if I won't use it and someone else will...why not!!! However there is one major rule of regifting, you can't give it back to the person who gave it to you!! My mother in law did that one year with a snowman ornament and my sister in law and I were in stitches for hours giggling and everyone was trying to figure out why... to this day I stick it out where she can see it and she loses it everytime she walks by.

:lmao: That is soooo funny! See now that is what I would do though! I would totally forget who I got it from and give it back to that person! :D

An easy solution to that is to stick the nametag back on it so you will be sure never to give to the person that gave it to you;)

That's a great idea! Ty ....now if i can remember to remove the tag first before giving it away.... did I mention my memory is lacking??? :D

An easy solution to that is to stick the nametag back on it so you will be sure never to give to the person that gave it to you;)

That sounds like a very good idea.

One time my uncle gave a gift to my grandpa...only thing was it was a gift given to that same uncle by my grandpa (he had no idea who originally gave it to him)...my grandpa was very angry at him for that.

I have been sitting here laughing about this......way to funny!

I have regifted a few times. My mother always buys me things that my sister would rather have and vise-versa. We just switch things after the holidays. But I have a mil who has given me things I wouldn't use ...so I have given them out to friends as a gift if I know they will enjoy it more than me.......still in package .....No nothing wrong with regifting..............AS LONG as the person doesn't find out.

Guest Deals4Me

This has me all in stitches.

Sounds like my life story.

My ex boyfriends mom, had given me some angel figurines for christmas... sweet gesture, but they LOOKED like a dollar store item. And considering I have Macy's taste, I really tried keeping them around for awhile...by march I couldnt TAKE it anymore. (SOOOO gawdy) Fast forward a couple years...I'm married, my mom in laws mom died., mom in law has a new thing for angels, for her birthday, I gave them to her. She has taste for gawdy things...good cause I dont.

Hubby has taste for gawdy things...he bought a 23 year old woman, with a 3year old child, (me btw) earrings with her initial, A...okay not sooo bad...but the letter on the earrings was done in neon orange and yellow. SO GAWDY. And the worst part? I dont know anyone with an A name...ARGH

Mom in law gets me stuff all the time I cant stand...I put in a box when she isnt at my house...when she is, Itake it out and put it up...I go through this routine at least 4 times a month!

Guest Deals4Me

OHHH forgot to add...

Yes it is VERY tacky to regift to the person that gave it to you, or vice versa

When my husbands cousin Shelly was expecting, SO was I. (our babies are a month apart to the near day, Alex's birthday is today, her daughters is Sept.19)

When she had her baby shower, she had it WAY over done. one of those, "wheres the present, kiss kiss, theres the food, go home" parties.

I gave her a nice set od ducky hooded towels, and other stuff..

A couple weeks later, she called me and said, I have a bag of stuff for the baby that I cant use,do you want it?

I said of course. Since I had a baby shower, but only 4 peple showed, we didnt have very much. SINCE EVERYONE told us, dont buy anythign, you'll get what you need at the baby shower. (no, no i didnt and I was on bedrest so Icouldnt go buy.

So she sends the bag over......three presents from me, three from my mom in law, and 1 from sis in law.

I was so insulted that I called her and told her if she didnt like what we got her, then dont invite us. Her excuse? Oh she reicieved double of everything. uh huh. I was there...I know what she got...and she got no doubles. so bs

I personally see nothing wrong with regifting. If you have never used the item, in fact, doesn't even make it out of the closet, by all means, send it along to someone else who might enjoy it. Its sad getting a gift that has no thought to it, it really doesn't take but alittle observation or directly asking someone what they would like. My MIL just sends stuff to send it, I know they were gifts to her, and wouldn't mind if they were items I would enjoy but enough with the stinky perfumes or scarves (I am a blue jean/t-shirt kind of gal, don't think I have ever worn a scarf in my life). Of course, this year she sent Christmas money-be it, the end of August, way too early but than again that is another story. Regift galore, better than letting things collect dust in the closet......Jill

Hubby has taste for gawdy things...he bought a 23 year old woman, with a 3year old child, (me btw) earrings with her initial, A...okay not sooo bad...but the letter on the earrings was done in neon orange and yellow. SO GAWDY. And the worst part? I dont know anyone with an A name...ARGH

Yep! My hubby doesn't have a clue sometimes either! :D I HATE to let him pick out clothes for me. So in the past few years i have enlisted my mom to hint and even point out clothes I like. Other than clothes though, he's usually pretty good. I won't let him dress our daughter tho! :D

I feel there is nothing wrong with regifting as long as it is still new in the box or package and has not been reopened.

Why not take a 1 subject notebook and write down who gave what so if you do regift, the to/from tag doesn't get left on the box.

I feel there is nothing wrong with regifting as long as it is still new in the box or package and has not been reopened.

Why not take a 1 subject notebook and write down who gave what so if you do regift, the to/from tag doesn't get left on the box.

Thats a good idea too! TY! :D

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. There's no need to waste a perfectly good gift. In a way, it's exchanging. lol The person who gave you the original gift saves you the money of buying another gift. I look at it like this, I get the money, someone else gets the gift.