help with cookie making

allshoppedout

Ok I am really hoping some kind, experienced gottadealer can get to the bottom of this for me:

I tried making chocolate chips and they turned out very "fluffy" and seemed to get brown around the edges easily. They didn't taste right, but I know I put everything in them. They didn't seem sweet enough. Anyway, because I have made mistakes before, I double check everything (and don't take/make phone calls during baking)

Details: None of the products were even close to expiration date. I used REAL butter. I used a wilton cookie sheet. So the only thing I wondered if maybe could be a problem is

1- I used my kitchenaid and put on the the dough hook to mix the choc. chips into the dough instead of my sore arm...would there be any chance I could have overmixed them? I don't feel I did --it was on low, just went around a few times.

2-the flour -gold medal-while not expired at all--nor opened was in a room that the temperature changes alot.... would that make any difference?

I am reluctant to make another batch before I ask people. Wasting my time is one thing, but to waste all the ingredients that is upsetting. They were edible but by no means "great" :(

flour was it all purpose or do you have to add baking powder or baking soda, I always hand mix the chips in so I am no help there. I also never use real butter when I bake.

Yes it was all purpose G.medal flour... and baking soda in recipe.

I didn't hand mix because having some carpal tunnel issues in hand. :( was "saving" hands for the scooping out dough, lifting cookie sheet...etc.

Do you use the crisco sticks instead? or margarine. I was told alot of the margarines have taken out the trans fat making them unreliable to bake with :(

It may depend on the amounts you used and the exact recipe.

Here are some different recipes from Alton Brown...he had an entire show of good eats telling which ingredients helped do what but unfortunately I cannot find a link to it at all.

But the puffy cookie is as follows: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-puffy-recipe/index.html

This is the chewy one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe/index.html

And the thin one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-thin-recipe/index.html

I always use real butter and sometimes I melt it first, other times I cream it from a softened form. That does effect the cookies texture.

cookies made with margarine are usually softer than those made with butter.

I always had the same problem with chocolate chip cookies- until I started doing this:

Use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 margarine in place of butter

Use brown sugar instead of white

Take them out way before they look done. They will continue to cook as they cool.

Just wanted you all to know my m & m cookies and my chocolate chips turned out perfect -- I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco and I didn't use all brown sugar, but I used 1 1/4 cup brown sugar and just 1/4 cup white... I have packed them up tight and put out of reach, or else they will be gone before 25 th

Thanks all :)

I always use real butter when I bake. My great grandmother, grandma and my mom always used real butter so I am just following in their footsteps.:D

I use it because they did, but also because I just don't buy margarine or shortening. So I'm not sure what the differences would be with the cookies.

I'm glad your last batch of cookies turned out well.:yup:

I'm glad they turned out! I use real butter for everything but cookies. I'm really, really picky about cookies though. Once I went to help a friend make her DD's birthday cake. She'd picked up everything for the frosting and when I asked for the butter, she handed me a tub of Country Crock. She thought that was butter and would work the same.