You know what I HATE about all of this?

EliteABombAZ

It's really sad to see so many commercials, articles and ads about BF this year. It's starting to sound like shops are inviting people - we won't give you sale and good deals, but still, it's black friday, so you MUST come, wait in lines and shop here!

Sears used to give out snow globes to the first 100 people in line...

ok. So when they stopped handing out snow globes is when Black Friday went "mainstream"? :confused:

The elitist attitude of the OP is repeated by other people in other niche hobbies.... and with that, the implication that the definition of "going mainstream" is anybody who joins in after I do.

The whole sentiment is pretty silly. And blaming retailers for the added exposure is even sillier. As if none of the Black Friday campers brag about their scores to anyone who will listen. How many times do friends and family have to hear about the $50 computer or $75 entertainment system before they join in?

:gdclap:

ok. So when they stopped handing out snow globes is when Black Friday went "mainstream"? :confused:

The elitist attitude of the OP is repeated by other people in other niche hobbies.... and with that, the implication that the definition of "going mainstream" is anybody who joins in after I do.

The whole sentiment is pretty silly. And blaming retailers for the added exposure is even sillier. As if none of the Black Friday campers brag about their scores to anyone who will listen. How many times do friends and family have to hear about the $50 computer or $75 entertainment system before they join in?

:gdclap: Reminiscing is all fine and dandy of the good ol' days. What I hear in this thread is the same sentiment of "young people these days! The world is going to hell with the way things are run now" type of attitude. It is what it is folks. Taking personal responsibility for all of our part in the way things are turning out is what is needed. We are not "entitled" just because we breathe and shop. If you get the deal, then great, if not oh well it was worth a shot.

I find it ironic that someone using the Apple app store icon as their avatar is complaining about ANYTHING going "mainstream". LOL

When exactly was that time when you remember that "only the most hardcore" knew Black Friday as Black Friday?

What does that have to do with anything? I am an Apple fan... even before iPhone. Before Apple dominated the MP3 player and smartphone market, they were anything BUT mainstream. Oh... and I had an iPhone from day 1... I jailbroke it right away and I was installing apps before Apple even had an iPhone App Store.

OMG the Today show today has a huge segment on Black Friday....shut up already!! :mad:Theres going to be wayyy too many newbies at these stores now. Ugh. I am starting to hope I find most stuff online this year!

least they didn't mention stuff was online today YET (that i heard). :)

It's crazy but it's fun. I also miss the good ole days but luckily I'm old enough that I don't really need anything that badly. I like to watch all the people having fun though. There are some things I'm getting-Old Navy kinect game (hopefully), a few things at Younkers, etc... I will NEVER try to get a computer at Walmart. There was almost a riot there one year. I did write corporate about it but of course never heard back from them. And it was brought about by the employees! We shoppers had a congenial line and begged for tickets, made suggestions so that we would get one by who was in line first, or SOMETHING so there wouldn't be a mad rush. But of course they wouldn't do that and everyone rushed the pallets, etc... People that had been standing there for hours didn't get one but people who walked in 10 minutes before and rushed it did. I put the blame solely on the store manager for not listening to the people in the line and seeing there could be a problem. Heck one of the clerks almost got squashed. She was all red in the face when it was over. That was just a terrible time. I remember going over to Office Depot, getting in line and getting one there, no problem. Never again at Walmart!

I understand what the OP is saying. I also don't think anyone is being elitist about it. Its just that shopping the day after Thanksgiving used to be fun and now it has gotten dangerous at some stores. I personally refuse to go to Walmart, Best Buy and TRU. Those stores have been so unorganized and the rushing and pushing and potential trampling is just a bit too scary for my taste.

I think it's great that even more people are finding great deals. I don't think its great that the stores are opening earlier and earlier. (10pm Thanksgiving, Midnight and 3am yuck!). I LOVE that some sales are lasting the entire weekend. I don't love that some stores will have an awesome doorbuster deal and only get one or two of those awesome deals. (and not tell the people waiting in line) I don't like line cutters and when people hold a ridiculous amount of spaces and all of those people show up at the very last minute. I do like the camaraderie the people waiting in line have. They hold spaces for each other when they need to warm up as well as help each other with coffee and potty runs.

Tis the season for waiting in lines to get the best deal on the gift that you would love to give your loved ones for the holidays!:yup:

Have fun everyone!:D

Black Friday has gotten waaaay too mainstream. I mean, even Webkinz estore and games on Facebook are having BF specials tomorrow!!!! I also hate that the stores are opening earlier. It is really throwing off my BF routine. Now, I have to go to wal mart twice if I really want to hit the sale and price match since most of the other stores don't open till 4, 5, or even 6. But, I want to get the WM deals and price match some stuff that TRU has on sale. We will see how I do. Who knows, I just might end up staying up all night with my 13 yr. old son waiting in line for a computer or XBox. Will let you all know what we end up doing. Good luck out there everyone!!!!

Ive decided to try to get as much as possible online esp. Walmart, and then just doing Menards, Ace Hardware, and Gander Mtn with dh tomorrow at 5-6am.......ds 18 and ds 15 will be going with their friends to stand in line at target with a list for me LOL! He is trying to get a pic of himself there in his GottaDeal Tshirt :D