Is anyone else just not excited about Christmas this year?

ilikefree

I have been pretty down this year also.. the weather has been way to warm... and money is very tight... my husband was laid off just over a year ago. but this week has changed my mind. I am taking in daycare for my sister ( she has 3 kids and was paying over $1200 a month) so I will be making some unexpected money and it snowed all night last night.. so bring it on I am ready to start baking .

I have been pretty down this year also.. the weather has been way to warm... and money is very tight... my husband was laid off just over a year ago. but this week has changed my mind. I am taking in daycare for my sister ( she has 3 kids and was paying over $1200 a month) so I will be making some unexpected money and it snowed all night last night.. so bring it on I am ready to start baking .

I am in the same boat. I made less this year than I have in previous years. Plus, my husband hasn't worked in almost 4 years. (And hasn't really tried to get a job during that time.) We lost our house 2 years ago, and have been living with hubby's parents since then. They aren't big on the holiday season like I am, so it's hard to get into the spirit here. They don't decorate that much, and it just doesn't feel like "home" to me. On top of that, I just don't have the money to spend on my kids like I have in the past. I think I have $100 (maybe) to split between the 2 of them this year. I have a few small presents tucked away that I bought earlier in the year, but nothing much. Thankfully, they are only 3 and 6, so they aren't asking for the really big ticket stuff, but they still want more than I can afford, lol. (I haven't even thought too much about the other 30+ people we normally buy for. Some of them expect to get something for everyone else, but have NEVER bought anything for anyone. Ugh.) I am sure everything will be fine, but I just can't get into the Christmas mood this year.

I think you can have a great Christmas for your children. My parents weren't able to spend much on us for Christmas when we were younger, but we always had wonderful Christmases. I don't have any memories of being disappointed on Christmas morning. Mom (Dad was Navy and worked a lot, he was involved, but Mom was with us the most) always made sure that we had fun watching Christmas movies and drinking hot cocoa. We would bake cookies and make donuts for Christmas morning. We would come home after school in the beginning of December and we would hear Christmas music and see the decorations that Mom put up and then we would go out as a family and pick out a tree and decorate it together with more Christmas music and cocoa.

Try to do as much Christmas stuff as you can and that YOU want to do. Your little ones will have fun and you will feel great seeing the smiles on their faces. Even if it is just you and the kids because no one else wants to participate, don't let anyone else take away your Christmas and that time with your babes.

As for the other people you buy gifts for. Write out a nice Christmas card to each person or family. If you start now you can do a couple a day and get them out in time for Christmas. If you can afford to, consider printing out a photo of you and your family and including it with the card. I would LOVE to get a photo of my Niece and Nephews and I think a nicely written card and a photo is a beautiful gift to give and to receive.

Have a beautiful Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

I'm more excited this week than I've been. I think it's cuz Brad gave me an assignment and if nothing else I will be helping other people get good deals. Need to get moving this am too as I don't have another day off before Thanksgiving and we haven't got any food left in the house.....OOOHH :eyepoppin

There's several reasons why I'm not excited this year. First I lost my job in JUly 2009 and have just worked a few part-time seasonal jobs since then. Currently I'm doing product demos which helps some, but not enough. Next my dear grandpa ( mom's dad) died on April 27 after having 3 strokes in less then a month.

However, on the bright side my oldest niece gave birth on Sept 21 to her second child a girl. So baby Moriah has helped to ease the loss some.

I'm a single mom to an adult daughter and we both live with my grandma. I've never married so I don't have the "inlaws" to worry about.

My dad's family quit drawing names years ago when the family got really big, if everyone showed up there would be close to 60. We do try to get together during December for a potluck meal and to visit.

When my imediate family of parents, siblings & their families along with my grandma & my daughter get together there are only 15 of us. Even so we draw names from the oldest grandma at 83 to the youngest baby Moriah who will be 3 months at Christmas. We keep the cost of the gift low $10-$20 so that my grandma who's on a fixed income feels she can buy something without going in debt.