Nook by B&N (refurbished)--$99--FREE shipping--buy.com

speeddiva

http://www.buy.com/prod/nook-by-barnes-noble-wi-fi-certified-pre-owned-ereader/q/loc/111/217612846.html

Sold by barnes & noble

Reconditioned

Manufacturer: Barnes and Noble

Mfg Part#: 9781400532636

Buy.com Sku: 217612846

UPC: 09781400532636

The NOOK Wi-Fi eReader has built-in Wi-Fi allowing you to download eBooks in seconds. Get bestsellers and new releases, your favorite eNewspapers, and eMagazines all delivered fast and free via Wi-Fi. Browse the vast BN eBookstore and sample any eBook for free. Store as many as 1,500 eBooks, eNewspapers, and eMagazines on your NOOK's 2 GB of internal storage, so you'll never be without your favorites. Need more space? Just add a Micro SD card. Certified Pre-Owned Nooks undergo a comprehensive 14 point inspection, rework and verification process performed by Barnes & Noble certified technicians. We are confident that the product meets the highest standards of quality.”

Warranty Information

•90 day complimentary phone support

•Unlimited online technical support

•One-year limited warranty

•About the same size and weight as a paperback book

•Read for up to ten days without recharging with wireless off

•Connects via any Wi-Fi network, including free access at any AT&T hotspots or Barnes and Noble Store

•Sample eBooks for free

•Shop over 1 million titles

•Advanced Eink - Vizplex electronic paper display reads like the printed page

•3.5 inch color touchscreen LCD

•Swipe to browse your library displayed via full-color book covers

•One touch control and navigation

•2GB (approximately 1500 eBooks)

•Expandable microSD slot

•Rechargable battery installed

•Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter

•Charging time: 3.5 hours from wall outlet

•Micro USB connector

•First Android-based eBook reader

•Interchangeable Back Panel

•Use your NOOK as an MP3 player to listen to audio books or music

•Holds about 26 hours of audio

•l3.5 mm stereo headphone jack

I have been looking at the one on Ebay for $119 I am just nervous about getting something refurbished

I always buy refurbished, when possible and have never had a problem. Refurbished does not necessarily mean used. They just cant sell the item as new since it was taken out of the box and returned. Many people have already received the ones purchased from Ebay and are reporting that they appear new.

I ordered the one from ebay but haven't received it yet. I would get the one with 3G because you can use internet through the same signal as a cell phone. There's no charge for the 3G network, unlike the kindle.

I've never paid to connect my kindle to the internet. It has 3G.

I'm thinking about getting my daughter a nook. I was eyeing the ebay deal. Hmmmmm.

Edited by Shortness
forgot something.

If you live in an area with lots of Wifi it will be fine but if not (like me) you need the 3G. I have a Kindle with Wifi and 3G. I can very rarely get a Wifi connection in my smalltown if I am out and about.

Well I'm screwed then...I live in a rural area with little wi-fi and NO 3G :shock:

You can always connect your reader to your computer and send them to reader or drag and drop the files over. Do you have wifi at home? It will connect when you enter the password.

yes this but then of course you don't want to pay extra for the 3G feature like I did....unless you travel alot maybe...you can always hook them up to a computer to tranfer files but in that case you don't need the 3G more expensive versions

Does anyone know who has the cheaper ebooks? Amazon or Barnes & Noble?

I dont know about cheaper books, I do know the Nook from Barnes and Noble you can borrow ebooks from the livrary thru Overdrive. That is a BIG PLUS for me since I read so much but hardly buy books because I would spend a fortune. This is reason I am getting a Nook instead of a Kindle.

Edited by racerfan

I dont know about cheaper books, I do know the Nook from Barnes and Noble you can borrow ebooks from the livrary thru Overdrive. That is a BIG PLUS for me since I read so much but hardly buy ooks because I would spend a fortune. This is reason I am getting a Nook instead of a Kindle.

I've been researching this and came across and interesting article about libraries lending books. As of now, the libraries that do ebook lending are constrained to lend ONE copy of an ebook at a time. You also have to be at the library building and bring your e-reader with you to borrow. Publishers are not very happy about "e-leanding" since they lose money and are putting a lot of constraints on libraries. Overdrive is a company that lends e-books (through a library or school), but not on Kindle or Nook.

You may want to check with your local library first before you purchase. I'm still torn between a Nook or Kindle for my wife...she mostly reads books from the library and our library has very few ebooks. At least with Amazon, from what I've heard, there are more free books than BN.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/will_your_local_library_lend_e-books_or_can_they.php

I've been researching this and came across and interesting article about libraries lending books. As of now, the libraries that do ebook lending are constrained to lend ONE copy of an ebook at a time. You also have to be at the library building and bring your e-reader with you to borrow. Publishers are not very happy about "e-leanding" since they lose money and are putting a lot of constraints on libraries. Overdrive is a company that lends e-books (through a library or school), but not on Kindle or Nook.

You may want to check with your local library first before you purchase. I'm still torn between a Nook or Kindle for my wife...she mostly reads books from the library and our library has very few ebooks. At least with Amazon, from what I've heard, there are more free books than BN.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/will_your_local_library_lend_e-books_or_can_they.php

The Library I borrow from now is a local library, they have connected with the Library of Philadelphia and we can get a card to allow us to borrow ebooks thru them on Overdrive. They have been loaning out ebooks for a while. This article I think is a little dated

That is not correct. NYPL, for example, allows you to borrow ebooks 24/7 through Overdrive.

I'd suggest then purchasing a card from the Philadelphia Public Library online...http://www.freelibrary.org/ It's $15 for out of state residents for a year. They have a good selection of ebooks.

Thank you for the great info. I went over to the B&N store and got some hands on with the Nook. I really liked it. The demonstrator person told me that our county library system will go live with Overdrive in March 2012! So I just got finished ordering the refurb Nook from Buy.com.

My wife is going to be so happy for Christmas!

EDIT: Thanks again SuggaD. I went to the Philly site and printed out an application. That's a great deal.

Edited by davidmg1

Thats the library I just signed up with. As a PA resident it does not cost us anything I was going to do it with the NY Public Library also if I could.

The Philly library is very smart, I think, in offering cards to non-residents, particularly as ereaders become more popular. Great revenue generator. More libraries should offer cards to out of state residents for a fee.

The Philly library is very smart, I think, in offering cards to non-residents, particularly as ereaders become more popular. Great revenue generator. More libraries should offer cards to out of state residents for a fee.

Our "big city" library, which happens to be in another state, does this but last time I checked (maybe 10 years ago?) it was $55.

Absolutely. So how does the Overdrive work at Philly? Are you on a waiting list for the book you want? Is there a limited amount of e-copies?

I think it's wonderful. I love that you can get books from a library---and my daughter would like that. Not sure about locally, as even getting a regular card is ridiculous here--- but I would definitely pay $15 for an out of state card to a large library like that. That's is great they are offering that and at such a decent price.