Need opinions on toys for autistic child?

Jen198

Hi all!

My nephew who will be 3 in march has Autism. He was diagnosed a couple of months ago. . Anyway, can anyone recomend toys that would be good for him? I am getting him some car toys cause he LOVES cars. Also he doesn't talk well yet eirther, but has speach therapy 2-3 timess a week at home.

Thank you!

Jen

My speech therapist reccommended fisherprice barn and farm animals, I know my kids love it and it helps them by constantly talking aout animal sounds and singing "Old Macdonald" (they have speech delay as well as other developmental delays they will be 2 this month). or a play kitchen maybe puppets.

I used to work with Autistic children in our local school system. They love anything colorful. Most of the boys tend to like cars and or monster trucks. I would also consider getting him a book or magazine with pictures of cars since he already likes them. I had a lot of success with playdough, slinkies, koosh balls and squeezie balls. The squeeze balls are great when they get frustrated and can squeeze them instead of wanting to bite or pinch themselves or others(in extreme cases). As far as education I would consider the Socially Speaking Game. It is a great game that teaches social interaction. Here is a link for the game.

When my son was that age we made a small indoor sand box. It was waist high and he would stand at it and play for hours. We also had a small water table as well. Another gift he loved was a wooden doll house. He would have the "people" live on the top floor and then he would park all his cars on the bottom floor. All these toys helped him use hid imagination, something that kids with autism somnetimes struggle with -He is 15 now and he has an amazing imagination!

Look up Tangle or Tangle Jr. These are great! We have several autistic children in our family and they love these. Not huge on education..but do help their attention span as they have something to fiddle with, even at schoool, while they are trying to listen. Textured letters or blocks would be good for his age. Really loud things are usually no-nos. Try for books or even videos of things he loves...such as books about different types of transportation, videos of Firetrucks/ Construction trucks, etc. Anything that interests him...items regarding those interests will keep his attention and help him learn.

Thanks everyone! You all have been a great help! DH and I don't have children so its hard to figure out what to get him sometimes. I always get him clothes and a few toys for Christmas. He has a new sister that is 6 months old and because I have 2 Goddaughter she will be easy to shop for! I am looking at the Thoomas the train right now and probably pick that up since he loves cars so much. Thanks again everyone! :D

Um... Cracker barrel has some blocks on a string... they are called fidgetz.... and they are a wonderful thing for them to play with... about 1.50 in cost... good stocking stuffer... DS used them and they kept him entertained at Tropicana field.... with ...like 30,000 people clanging cowbells... happy as a clam.

I was about to respond to get Thomas the Train and friends. For whatever reason, kids with autism LOVE them. I think it is because of the facial expressions on the trains, it draws them in. I have a son who played with them from age 3-6-- he has autism.

Many kids in his social therapeutic group also loved the trains. I don't think you could go wrong buying them...and the building and rebuilding of tracks, and pushing the trains works on their hand eye coordination. Until my son found these, he didn't have a favorite toy, when he discovered the trains, and the tv show, well THOMAS really provided him with many good times, I am glad we invested in them.

Tag Jr. may be helpful for him. My nephew is not autistic, but he is 2 and loves the Tag Jr. I bought him. My mom said it's helping him talk a lot better (I live far so I haven't seen the results). But the books are great for different levels and often cheap. My step-kids have the regular Tag and I loved the concept. It's a gift you can keep adding to. I got him the Tag Jr. and carry case with a couple books for his bday and now when I see the books on sale I pick them up for Xmas. Amazon often has good deals on these.

Depending on his specifc autism and his likes and dislikes will make a big difference. He may hate certain textures or things and may love others. If you aren't sure, definately ask his parents.

My son is 5 and autistic... When he was 3 we bought him his first trampoline (one of the small rebounder types). We've since worn out 3 of them (and replaced at least a dozen springs on the 4th), so that might be a good option also... Yes, we have a trampoline in the middle of our living room. Winters get long and it saves on the furniture!!! Plus if he's got low muscle tone (which is common) it could be very helpful!