Cooking a Turkey

jw109

How boring am I? :tongue1: I'm sitting here thinking about the best way to cook my turkey this year. For the past few years I have soaked my turkey in a brine solution, which does make the meat very juicy so I plan on always doing this. The problem for me, is the actual cooking of the turkey. I have a convection oven so the turkey cooks very fast but I can't seem to time things out that well. I sorta wish I had a regular over so that I could at least time it right, meaning I could follow the label. So I have been looking at those turkey roasters (looks like a big crock pot) and am wondering if anybody has used this roaster. Are there any advantages to cooking it in one of these rather than in the oven?

Any advice/suggestion would be great!

Thanks

Jen

I don't like the turkey roasters, for me the skin turns in to a soggy mess.

I really like Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey.

However, reading the Food Network post of this recipe, I see some steps are missing, such as the tin foil triangle.

Here is a transcript of the Good Eats episode Romancing the Bird. The step by step instructions for the above recipe is included.

If you can figure out how to adjust your convection oven to cook the way AB suggests, I have found no better roast turkey recipe.

I do use Emeril's brine rather than AB's, but the cooking method after removing from the brine, rinsing, and patting dry is all AB's here.

Roasters work well if you only have 1 oven and are making a ham also or a lot of sides so the turkey wouldn't take up oven space or heat the entire house up with the oven on, but they don't brown the skin well. They taste just as good as if you cooked them any other way.

I use the oven bags to cook my turkey, and you don't have to even add any spices or salt or anything and they come out juicy and tasty and browned and are perfect every time.

I'm using my convection oven today to cook a small turkey (had to get it out of my freezer, needed the room for 1/4 of a cow)