IPOD Touch

I am looking for an I Pod touch for my DD and I do not know alot about them. I found the Apple iPod touch 8GB 2nd Generation (Previous Model) for $179.54 online at Walmart. Is this a good deal and is the 8G a good starter one to get?

It s a fine starter one for her. My DS has a 16gb 2nd Generation and we are upgrading him to the 4th generation this year. He just updated his and is finding that since the processor or whatever runs it is not the current his is running slow, Your DD may have that problem but she may not notice the difference. I plan on taking DS' old Ipod once he gets his new one.

I dont know how much you are looking to spend but the 8g current generation is $229. I got the 3rd Generation 8GB last year for my DD12 and I also got a $50 gift card from BB with it on BF. I am sure they will be having something on BF with Ipods, that is when I am planning on buying the new one for DD14

I am another one that knows nothing about the IPOD but, of course both kids want one for xmas! I have seen them at WM for $245 and they are probably worth that but my question is:

Do you pay a monthly fee for some of the services?

If you choose apps you'd have to pay for, yes. But thats it. I don't have anything that requires further payment. There are tons of free apps and most that you do pay for are a one time fee of $1-$5, mostly on the lower end of that. It does not have 3G so no monthly payment there. And it just uses your regular wifi connection for internet which is free. You could turn it into almost a phone with the free skype app too.

And wholesale clubs ( Costco, SAMs, etc) usually have the 32gb for $280 so the 8 gb a lot cheaper.

Just be aware that the one year warranty on Ipods from Apple...starts on the day it was sent to the store, if you buy one from somewhere other than an Apple store. So - if it's been sitting on Walmart's shelf for 3 months, you only get a 9 month warranty. If you buy it from an Apple store - you get 1 year from the date it was purchased. My daughter's 2nd generation actually broke (half of the screen froze) at just under a year - and since it was purchased from an Apple store...they replaced it for free. Also, you can "recycle" any Ipod at the Apple store (no matter how old) and get 10% off your new Ipod.

Just be aware that the one year warranty on Ipods from Apple...starts on the day it was sent to the store, if you buy one from somewhere other than an Apple store. So - if it's been sitting on Walmart's shelf for 3 months, you only get a 9 month warranty. If you buy it from an Apple store - you get 1 year from the date it was purchased. My daughter's 2nd generation actually broke (half of the screen froze) at just under a year - and since it was purchased from an Apple store...they replaced it for free. Also, you can "recycle" any Ipod at the Apple store (no matter how old) and get 10% off your new Ipod.

Your apple product is under warranty for 1 year from date of purchase from authorized seller. Must provide proof purchase.

below from apple site

1. How long is my iPod covered by Apple's warranty?

Your iPod is covered for one year by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase (date of purchase).

2. How can I tell if my iPod is in-warranty?

Your iPod is covered by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod for one year from the date of original purchase. To determine your warranty coverage, enter the serial number of your iPod in the Online Service Assistant section on the Apple Support site. Apple may need to examine your proof of purchase document to verify your iPod's warranty status.

Note: The service coverage information described at the Apple Support site is based on the date of purchase information available to Apple, depending on when or whether you registered your product or if you purchased it from an Apple authorized reseller. If you believe that the information is inaccurate, please update the information by contacting Apple using the appropriate links on the Apple Support site.

Your apple product is under warranty for 1 year from date of purchase from authorized seller. Must provide proof purchase.

below from apple site

1. How long is my iPod covered by Apple's warranty?

Your iPod is covered for one year by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase (date of purchase).

2. How can I tell if my iPod is in-warranty?

Your iPod is covered by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod for one year from the date of original purchase. To determine your warranty coverage, enter the serial number of your iPod in the Online Service Assistant section on the Apple Support site. Apple may need to examine your proof of purchase document to verify your iPod's warranty status.

Note: The service coverage information described at the Apple Support site is based on the date of purchase information available to Apple, depending on when or whether you registered your product or if you purchased it from an Apple authorized reseller. If you believe that the information is inaccurate, please update the information by contacting Apple using the appropriate links on the Apple Support site.

Also, if you don't have a sales receipt, the warranty starts from the date it was manufactured. Unless it was bought from Amazon, then it is void.