DSi or DS lite?

saiynee

Help please! I plan on getting my daughters a DS for their 6th birthday or xmas. But I don't know which one to get, the DSi or the DS lite. Is there a major difference between the two? I am also clueless about the games. Do they play in both systems? What games are good for 6 year olds with little experience with video games aside from leapster and a little wii? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Some of the differences between the DS Lite and DSI/DSI XL is that the DS Lite can play the older game boy advance games the DSI/DSI XL cannot. The DSI/DSI XL have 2 cameras and they are internet ready. Depending on how your children are (if the take care of things I would go for the new DSI/DSI XL (XL is exactly the same just has a bigger screen) but since they are so young you could get away with the lite. There are a lot of games out there. I recommend that you go on Amazon and do a search for DS games based on age. Mario Kart for DS is very popular and there are a lot of other Mario games in addition to Kart, There are also several learning games that deal with math, spelling also if interested.

My kids are now 12 and 14 and have had Nintendo handhelds since they were 5 and they held up. Currently we have 2 DS Lites, a DSI and a DSI XL.

• 2 weeks later...
ok... this may be a stupid question but here goes... can you completely turn off the internet on these... i've been trying to figure out if the DSLite is internet capable at all and thought i saw where it was... i've looked at so much stuff my eyes are crossed lol.. we're thinking of getting my ds7 one of these but I don't think he has any business being online with it at all... thats one of the main reasons he doesnt have one yet and he's been begging for one

ok... this may be a stupid question but here goes... can you completely turn off the internet on these... i've been trying to figure out if the DSLite is internet capable at all and thought i saw where it was... i've looked at so much stuff my eyes are crossed lol.. we're thinking of getting my ds7 one of these but I don't think he has any business being online with it at all... thats one of the main reasons he doesnt have one yet and he's been begging for one

The DS Lite can go on the Internet but there is something extra you need for it. My kids had it but never had access to the internet. The DSI comes internet ready but I think you have to set it up. I have the DSI XL and I have not gone on the Internet since it is not set up. I know I would need to put in our access code for our Router at home, and I think you have to activate the browser that comes with it. If you dont activate it then I guess you cant go on. I wil check mine out later and post again.

• 2 weeks later...
Silly question...I see in the Wal-Mart ad that they have the DS Lite for $89. It says it has built-in-Wi-Fi. That means that it can access the internet, correct? We have a wireless router...does it work with that or what? I'm totally clueless when it comes to things like this!