WalMart experience last Year

lakee05

Ok I had a bit of an interesting experience last year that makes me raise a question about this year. Last year I stood in line for somebody to get them a laptop (they didn't want to fight the crowds and headaches, and since I wasn't doing it for nothing, I did not mind doing so). What was interesting I got in line and then at around 2am an associate came through the line and handed everyone tickets for the laptop that they wanted, but here was the catch: even though we all had our tickets we had to remain in line and if we needed to go to the bathroom we had to get a pass and if we took too long we could risk losing our ticket. Now there was associates at the front of the line strictly enforcing this rule, but I was near the back of the line and the associate checking the back of the line was super nice and let us slip down an aisle to grab any items that were not our ticketed item. This associate and all of us in that part of the line felt it was better for the store anyways, because by letting us get our things ahead of time it enabled us then to spend more of our money in the store and prevent chaos come 5am.

My question is this though: This year (I will probably be in line at Wal-Mart again) I noticed they will be having deals on video games and blu-rays that according to the ad (at least how I take it) go on sale at midnight, per the term on sale ALL day. My concern is if my store acts the same this year as the did last year, how can I expect to score some of these deals (yes there is movies and games I want, plus with over 60 blu-ray titles @ $5 each I will want to do a little quick browsing in case there is any hidden gems)? Also I should mention that last year the $10 blu-rays last year were not put out until about 3:30 and at that point everyone was being told even though they were openly on display you could look, but not take. It wasn't until a little later around 4am when people just wouldn't listen that they said ok, you can take them.

Overall though I did feel that Wal-Mart was not as chaotic compared to some of the horror stories I've heard (and I won't even count the death in 2008) about of years past. I still say though that Best Buy is one of the most organized stores, and even though the waiting outside can get a little rough at times, I still feel they handle things very well.

Last year our Walmart let us in at 4:00 a.m., I shopped for an hour (no problem allowing us to put stuff in carts) and I checked out at 5:00 a.m. I was in the car by 5:15 and on my way to the mall! It was GREAT! But I think the people waiting for the big ticket items were probably there until at least 10:00 because when I saw them in the lines right before I checked out at 5:00, they weren't moving. And the lines were not very organized. Everyone was just kind of standing around haphazardly, looking like they were waiting for SOMETHING...

One thing I did hate were the ropes they used to block off entire aisles so if you started going down an aisle one way, you had to make a turn to get around to the other side!:yuck:

OMG I think I was at that same Walmart. I was not expecting the early opening and wasn't sure how to handle that.

THE ROPES!? Horrible..... the helped no one and confused people. I am going to stop in on Friday and talk to the manager ( hopefully same guy it has been for past few years- nice guy) and find out what the deal is. Is your Walmart off 495 by chance? I can certainly let you know what he says.