Official Black Friday GPS SYSTEM Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• 2 months later...
I have a TomTom that is a few years old and does not have lifetime updates. I checked recently and was surprised at the cost of updates. On the other hand, roads don't really change that often, so for the most part it should be OK. I figure I will wait a year or two then update once (or replace the unit if that seems a better deal.) Anyway, a word to the wise: consider the cost of updates or the value of unlimited updates when purchasing and factor into the price. :yup:

• 1 month later...

If your looking for a good deal on a TomTom, you can get a TomTom 540 TM (free lifetime traffic and maps), with a 5" display at Amazon on sale and with a promo code for additional 20% off. Regular priced at $216, on sale for $166 and additional promo code takes it down to $133. Excellent bargin.

Go here http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290082455&sr=8-1 and put in code TOMTOM20 before check out and you'll get the additional 20% off. I just ordered on and they are still in stock.

Any predictions BF deals on GPS with lifetime map updates? We have a 3 or 4 yr old Garmin. Map updates cost almost as much as a new lower end model.

As I predicted in years past, GPS units (without lifetime maps) have become disposable, like throwaway razors.

Count in the fact that screens are getting larger, receivers are getting faster and more accurate, and new features are being added on units and you'd almost be crazy (or extremely environmentally conscious) to buy a map update.

If your looking for a good deal on a TomTom, you can get a TomTom 540 TM (free lifetime traffic and maps), with a 5" display at Amazon on sale and with a promo code for additional 20% off. Regular priced at $216, on sale for $166 and additional promo code takes it down to $133. Excellent bargin.

Go here http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290082455&sr=8-1 and put in code TOMTOM20 before check out and you'll get the additional 20% off. I just ordered on and they are still in stock.

What's the spec differences between this and the TomTom 345 being offered at Target? Are you just paying for a bigger screen or how much more are you getting?

What's the spec differences between this and the TomTom 345 being offered at Target? Are you just paying for a bigger screen or how much more are you getting?

Not only does the 540TM have a larger screen, it also comes with free map updates. When you consider that map updates are around $70 when purchased for a unit like Target's 345, the 540TM can be a unit you keep for the long haul vs. replacing in two years because the maps are dated and it's cheaper to just buy a new unit...

Not only does the 540TM have a larger screen, it also comes with free map updates. When you consider that map updates are around $70 when purchased for a unit like Target's 345, the 540TM can be a unit you keep for the long haul vs. replacing in two years because the maps are dated and it's cheaper to just buy a new unit...

I'm definitely looking for one with free map updates. What in the world is Lifetime Traffic vs. map updates? I thought Lifetime Traffic included the map updates.

I'm glad this forum is here and was resurrected because man I definitely would've been off track with this one! Thanks for the info because basically this is the exact same deal that will be available at Best Buy for around the same price, now that I have a good understanding of it!

I'm definitely looking for one with free map updates. What in the world is Lifetime Traffic vs. map updates? I thought Lifetime Traffic included the map updates.

No. Traffic updates will provide your GPS with traffic info like this http://www.traffic.com/Philadelphia-Traffic/Philadelphia-Traffic-Reports.html in real time so that the GPS can help guide you around traffic jams (in larger cities that have coverage).

Map updates are just that, the ability to download the latest maps through your computer to the GPS to update it for new roads, renaming of old ones, new housing developments and also new POI (points of interest). POI updates are also very important for new businesses that crop up, change names, go out of business, etc.

Ideally you want both free map updates and free traffic, but map updates are potentially more important. Traffic is really only handy in larger cities and or travel to larger cities (vacations, business trips, etc.)

No. Traffic updates will provide your GPS with traffic info like this http://www.traffic.com/Philadelphia-Traffic/Philadelphia-Traffic-Reports.html in real time so that the GPS can help guide you around traffic jams (in larger cities that have coverage).

Map updates are just that, the ability to download the latest maps through your computer to the GPS to update it for new roads, renaming of old ones, new housing developments and also new POI (points of interest). POI updates are also very important for new businesses that crop up, change names, go out of business, etc.

Ideally you want both free map updates and free traffic, but map updates are potentially more important. Traffic is really only handy in larger cities and or travel to larger cities (vacations, business trips, etc.)

Thanks such a big help! Since I have a Best Buy Gift Card, I'll try for the Best Buy for close to $50 one online at $99.99 with lifetime traffic and maps. I definitely don't do any city driving and don't really need traffic but if I ever go on vacation. I do need the maps for sure! If I can't get that on-line then I'll go for the Amazon.com one.

Isn't traffic information used by the xxl 540 TM to calculate the best route? Or is that simply historical data?

My understanding is that it takes the travel data into account to plan the route, but only if there is travel data available.

Chicago, San Fran, yes.

Snapfinger (Georgia) and Roachtown (Illinois), not so much.

BTW, Markster, my <$100 Navigon 2100t finally bit the dust (actually only the speaker) and I'm in the market for a new GPS. Lifetime Maps and Traffic plus a big screen are my priorities. I believe the xxl 540 TM is the best deal for me since using my Discover Cashback gift cards effectively reduces the cost to $104 (20% off) and returns/exchanges are local.

Do you have experience with this model or other recent TomToms? Do you have recommendations?

Radio Shack has this on BF for $99 with the lifetime updates.

My friend said she got the Sams Club BF flyer and there is a GPS in there for $89. It is the Tom Tom 335LM. Does anyone know about it? It is supposed to have lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. Thanks.

It does not have lifetime traffic. Did it say that in the ad?

The 335LM is the same as the 335S, just that the 335LM has lifetime maps.

Review of the 335S: http://cargpsreviews.net/tomtom-xl-335s-review.php

With TomTom's current naming convention, for the 335LM to have lifefime traffic, its name would be 335LMT.

My friend said she got the Sams Club BF flyer and there is a GPS in there for $89. It is the Tom Tom 335LM. Does anyone know about it? It is supposed to have lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. Thanks.

So this is something that they have put out in addition to the black friday ad scan GD has? Because I don't see that on the scan but I might have to go to Sam's for that one. I think the lines there are better than WM or Target.

Edit: nevermind, I went to Sams today and they were giving this flyer thing out at the door.

Edited by lukesmom01

I am geting the Garmin @ target w\lifetime maps and traffic.... There is also a printable target coupon for $30 off which makes it $129 :) and w\ my 5% off it will be 122.50 :D

You should also be able to use this coupon online(if offered) Promo Code: TGTGRM03

I am geting the Garmin @ target w\lifetime maps and traffic.... There is also a printable target coupon for $30 off which makes it $129 :) and w\ my 5% off it will be 122.50 :D

You should also be able to use this coupon online(if offered) Promo Code: TGTGRM03

Coupon expires on 11-23-10 and sale doesnt start until 11-26. I got pretty excited until I saw that.