For those pregnant question about gifts for others

hairprincessnyu

Hey all!

I am pregnant with my first this year, and have a question for anyone in the same boat. Are you cutting down on gifts for everyone else this year to save money for the baby? I know my family will be understanding about it, but DH doesn't seem too happy about the idea. He is a little bit selfish and wants his family to still get nice gifts from us. I know his sister will understand, but his parents will probably feel the same way as he does. And although they have plenty of money, I don't expect to get any nice gifts from them for the baby. I am thinking of asking them to not get us any gifts, and just get stuff for the baby, but I'm not sure how they will react to that. His mom isn't thrilled about the baby anyway, long story, but she is having a hard time letting go of her 28 year old son even though we have been married for 5 years, so I am a little nervous about announcing our Christmas plan this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by Rockfordmom
edited title

We somewhat cut back when i was pregnant with my first. This year since i have two my brother and I were talking and we plan to just buy for each others kids since I would rather them get something than me.Your first priority is YOUR family (You, hubby, and baby) then the rest of your family is second. His mom will just have to learn this. And its possible she may change when the baby gets here. In my opinion his relatives should be happy with any gift regardless of whether you spent $5 or $50. If you think it would be more useful for them to buy for the baby go ahead and tell them that.

I'm not sure when you are due but my brother and SIL got all the adults 3D pics of baby sonogram framed for Christmas which kinda cut on costs and was appreciated by all. Could work with newborn pics too and don't even have to be studio done. My bestfriend did some with my godson at home in a "my 1st christmas santasuit" on a white blanket and came out very good.

I'm not sure how you're family/friends think but when bf gave birth to her first she got a lot of stuff left on baby registry or needs(diapers, etc) for christmas too. She didn't ask for it but was very appreciative. Of course we threw in some chocolate cookies etc for her too.

I'm not pregnant with my first, but just two weeks ago I had my 7th and wanted to chime in anyhow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting back on gifts to save money for your new baby, I would even say that is the smart choice to make! Christmas should be enjoyable, not stressful. You have to put what is best for your family above the wants of others. My husband and I have had years where money has been no issue and years where money was extremely tight. In those tight years, we were just honest with family and said we couldn't afford to exchange gifts that year. They were always very understanding, and sometimes even relieved because they were having hard times too. If your family has a tantrum, oh well. Time for them to grow up. If an unexpected expense comes up with your pregnancy or new baby, you will be so glad that you didn't spend a bunch of money on stuff for other people. Don't let them make you feel bad and keep telling yourself you are making smart choices that benefit your baby.

• 2 weeks later...
My sis is pregnant with twins and they are taking them at 35 weeks which puts them due 2 weeks before Christmas, and as a family we do not expect or want anything from the expecting parents. They will get over it. Christmas is about more than gifts. We arent pregnant but I am in the same boat, we are both laid off and last year we vowed to only buy for children in our family and I think we are going to stick to the same this year. saved us probably 300.00 not buying for adults which is nice! If we did buy for adults we did cheap gift cards, like to Steak n shake or to the movies. I thought his parents would have had a cow, but they didnt and they completely understood come Christmas time. It was more about family that day. Wish you all the best and hope things work out for you. I would say something soon though so it's not a shock or unexpected come Christmas time.

My daughter was due last November but couldn't work during that time so money was tight for her and DH. They took really nice pics of the baby and framed them and everyone loved their gifts.

I always tell everyone to buy for the kids and don't worry about me. I'll buy what I want for myself if I need something. I think Christmas is for kids and I love buying for them. DGD will be 1 this year, I'm really looking forward to shopping for her.