DA: Walmart peaceful year after deadly NY stampede

bigjimslade

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091128/ap_on_bi_ge/us_walmart_crowd_control_3

VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. – Crowd control at all Walmart stores in New York appeared to be smooth Friday, a year after a security guard was crushed to death by a stampede of shoppers.

Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said her office was unaware of any injuries or property damage at Walmart stores in New York on the day after Thanksgiving, one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

The prosecutor's office also said it appears company crowd control measures "improved significantly since last year."

In California, a Walmart store in Upland closed its doors for several hours after shoppers began fighting over merchandise. Lt. Jim Etchason said officers were called about 2:44 a.m. and helped herd customers into the parking lot.

No arrests were made, Etchason said, and groups of customers were allowed back inside by 6 a.m.

San Bernardino County sheriff's spokesman Jodi Miller said another scuffle was reported at a Walmart in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., but deputies did not find any disturbances.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said in a statement earlier Friday that it was getting positive feedback from its customers and employees nationwide.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it went. Other than a few people in line complaining about alleged "line cutters", all seemed to be fine. In fact, I hope they keep it like this. I was in the store at 4:00, was able to put everything in my cart (unlike what I thought was going to happen and I'd have to wait until 5:00), got all my shopping done and was ready to check out at 5:00! And there wasn't even a line to check out--probably because everyone was back in the electronics still waiting in line for a laptop or a TV! I went by that area and the line wasn't even moving. I'm still not sure what they were all waiting for.

The only thing I didn't like was how the people in lines waiting for merchandise caused traffic jams in the aisles, making it difficult for "regular shoppers" after items other than the "big ticket" stuff to get through. I had to cut through the clothing department just to get to the area that had Swiffer pads! That's what I was after--Swiffer pads! And yes, they ARE an item on my sister's Christmas list! lol! Of course I wouldn't even want to think what it would've been like if there had been a fire...

We couldn't get to our grocery section at all, I was unhappy about the way they did the tickets, I was shopping for a blu ray and a ds and my friend that went with me was also after the same things but we were only allowed 1 ticket and had to get directly in the line. We couldn't leave the line or we lost our ticket. When I questioned how I was going to be able to get both of the items I was after they told me I should have brought someone else with me??? Well I am sorry walmart I have small children and the hubby stays home with them so I can shop BF. So I had to pick the item I wanted more. I don't think that was fair of them to do that. If I am there at 2 in the morning waiting on the items I want to purchase they need to figure out a way to allow the customer to do that. I too think having so many isles closed off made it harder to get through the isles to get the non ticket items. We are in a rural location and have no stores that give the tickets like bestbuy so this is the first time they ahve ever done this. Now I did like the fact that some items were available for purchase after midnight, like the movies, video games etc, they had a line and were only allowing a few people into the movie area at a time so it made it easier to find what you were looking for.

I think the way they did it this year was great! I wasn't there for any lines items so I got there about 3am. I shopped around, got everything I wanted in my cart and headed for the registers about 4:30. At about 4:45 the cashiers came out and we all proceeded to the registers in an orderly fashion. At 5am they started ringing and I was out the door less than 10 minutes later! ;)