shelf stereo system/cd player

I have HAD IT with our current stereo sytem. It's an Audiovox 5-cd changer model with decent speakers...not huge or expensive but it fits our needs nicely. When it actually plays the CDs, anyway. Ever since we first started using it, it's had trouble recognizing that there are actually CDs in it. The thing will be loaded and it will just annoyingly blink "no disc." It was a gift, so there was no receipt, and dh was an idiot and didn't open and hook up the thing till something like 6 months after Christmas the year we got it ("but I can't decide if we should have it upstairs or downstairs!"), so there's no sense in trying to return it.

So rather than toting my little kitchen mini boombox thingie upstairs every time I want to play a CD, or listening to music through the TV (that has a built-in DVD player) as the sound quality kinda sucks, I want to just throw the stupid thing away and buy a new one.

It doesn't have to be a 5-cd changer; a 3 would do. It doesn't have to play tapes or anything else, just CDs, and it needs to actually WORK.

The cheaper the better. Anything over $100 is out of the question, so all the "good" models are out of my budget. $50 would be nice but I have a feeling I'd wind up with another piece of junk for that price. I am not excited about spending money on this but I am very eager to have the satisfaction of throwing this stupid thing we own now in the trash. LOL.

I have HAD IT with our current stereo sytem. It's an Audiovox 5-cd changer model with decent speakers...not huge or expensive but it fits our needs nicely. When it actually plays the CDs, anyway. Ever since we first started using it, it's had trouble recognizing that there are actually CDs in it. The thing will be loaded and it will just annoyingly blink "no disc." It was a gift, so there was no receipt, and dh was an idiot and didn't open and hook up the thing till something like 6 months after Christmas the year we got it ("but I can't decide if we should have it upstairs or downstairs!"), so there's no sense in trying to return it.

So rather than toting my little kitchen mini boombox thingie upstairs every time I want to play a CD, or listening to music through the TV (that has a built-in DVD player) as the sound quality kinda sucks, I want to just throw the stupid thing away and buy a new one.

It doesn't have to be a 5-cd changer; a 3 would do. It doesn't have to play tapes or anything else, just CDs, and it needs to actually WORK.

The cheaper the better. Anything over $100 is out of the question, so all the "good" models are out of my budget. $50 would be nice but I have a feeling I'd wind up with another piece of junk for that price. I am not excited about spending money on this but I am very eager to have the satisfaction of throwing this stupid thing we own now in the trash. LOL.

FYI - I had the same experience with a 6-changer CD once. It just needed to be cleaned. This may or may not be the problem, but it's worth the cost of canned air to see if that solves the problem.

FYI - I had the same experience with a 6-changer CD once. It just needed to be cleaned. This may or may not be the problem, but it's worth the cost of canned air to see if that solves the problem.

Hmm. We've used a cloth but not canned air. Does Walmart have that, or would I have to go to an office supply store?

Hmm. We've used a cloth but not canned air. Does Walmart have that, or would I have to go to an office supply store?

WalMart has it. As a matter of fact, I just bought one over the weekend to clean out my Aunt's computer. It cost about $6 and will last a good while, provided you're not cleaning out a computer that has been sitting in a VERY dusty corner for nearly 3 years and had never had the cover taken off.

Compuvest has pretty poor ratings at Reseller Ratings.

The price is good. I have a Panasonic mini-shelf unit that is excellent. My parents have an RCA that is pretty good, too. I think they got theirs at Radio Shack. Mine was purchased from Amazon.

Yikes--those reviews are pretty bad. Ok, I won't buy from that store! I'll try that air stuff and keep looking around if it doesn't work.

I also saw one made by RCA at CircuitCity.com for $75.99 shipped.

RCA Shelf System for $75.99

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/rca/PC.RCA.RS2650.CN.JPG

• CD changer: The angled tray holds up to five discs in the space of three, so you can enjoy hours of your favorite music.
  • Cassette deck: The single cassette deck lets you make copies of your favorite tapes or record songs from the radio.
  • Digital tuner: Pull in your favorite radio stations, and save them with 32 presets for easy access.
  • Front A/V inputs: Connect your game console or portable MP3 player to the shelf system for even more variety and entertainment.
  • Sound settings: The bass boost and equalizer presets allow you to fine tune the sound to complement the style of music being played.
  • Remote control: Operate your CD player, volume control, and tuner from a comfortable location.

From my last internship at Panasonic I worked with home audio systems ranging from their mini systems to their AK series. I tested new models that were in development and models that were going to be release later that year. From my experience, when the system does not read the cd it was due to the optical pickup. When you insert a cd this device emits a laser light and if it gets an reflection from the cd then the mechanism continues processing and your cd with start spinning. If you feel confortable you can open your system and see if the lens (part of the optical pickup) has anything covering it. (i.e dust) This device will most likely be located beneath the cd tray once it's inserted into the system. It's pretty cool to see all the mechanisms at work with the lid off. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something, I'm usually pretty bad at explaining things but is better at showing someone.