CNN Story: "Dirty Secrets of Black Friday Doorbusters"

Brad

"Online deals that never get shipped. Case in point: Sears. Last year, one of Sears' hottest Black Friday doorbuster deal was on a Kenmore washer-dryer pair for $600.

Even though the retailer advertised that deal to be in "limited quantities," the company decided to honor every customer order made on that deal last Black Friday.

Big mistake. The manufacturer could not ramp up production fast enough. Some customers waited months before their order was shipped. Others were sold a substitute model, that was "comparable or even better" for the same deal price, said Sears' Aiello."

I appreciate that Sears honored that price for every customer. All stores should follow suit.

But thanks for this article, this is exactly why I am so weird about ordering online on BF, you never know if you will actually be getting the item. I like to actually go to the store and have that item leave with me. Makes me feel so much more at ease.

well, if they advertise that they have a minimum of 5 of something, doesn't that mean that they have AT LEAST 5, possibly more? Or am I interpreting it wrong? :confused:

Yes, most likely unless you live in a big city or have a really big (flagship) store, most stores will only have 5. They don't make a lot of money or may even lose money on those items so they won't carry any more than they have to.

My favorite part of that story was this from the Sears Spokesman.....

When asked for a comment, Sears spokesman Tom Aiello said he was "not comfortable" addressing the issue of limited quantities for some Black Friday deals.

.....Dirtbags. Well that just means I will keep my eyes open for on line deals here at GottaDeal. And if I am bored after Turkey Day Ill see what they have leftover. If this timeframe until after Christmas is sooooo important for retailers in order to make sales crossover into the Black, then they need to work harder and knock off the smoke and mirrors tactics.

If you have a job making $20 an hour and you wait three hours before a store opens on BF morning, then you had better make sure that the big deals and savings you get is at least $60 or more or you are just wastinf your time- probably more since you not only spending three hours of YOUR time in line, but doing so while depriving yourslef of sleep. This makes it insult to injury when you make the sacrifice and the store does not have the item you wanted due to insufficient stocked quantity.

Retailers need to work hard for my money- NOT the other way around.

ok, I'm off my soapbox. :)

As usual, CNN hits one out of the park ;-) Now we can all stay home!

FINALLY we understand what limited quantities means. I thought EVERYONE got a doorbuster. The people sleeping in tents outside stores deserve to know that they might not get their Black Friday Door Buster.

Between you and me, the derivative models are meant to thwart price matchers, return/rebuyers, and price adjusters -- not to screw the consumer out of a little bit of contrast ratio. The Walmart scan shows a LC320EMFX and their site shows a LC320EMX. Anyone think the F does not stand for Friday?

Its tradition for my older daughter and I to get in line for the Thanksgiving Kmart sale (after we stop and Krispy Kreme for some "snacks"). This year I'm not going.

1. I don't want to spend the money or wait in a line.

2. My YMCA is open 7am to 11am that morning so I plan to be there instead.

Shopping this year just doesn't seem like fun.

The article reinforces why I don't shop BF. I always get better deals online and before BF. This year was no different. Take the HDTVs for example, the BF ads all focus on the cheap, low end models that offer poor features/functionality that the retailers need to get rid of anyway. And if you're in the market for a decent HDTV there's no way you go to a Walmart, Target, or Sam's Club. I got my TV at Sears a week ago during their Friends and Family sale because the quality/reliable models were on sale and you won't see this on BF. Everything else I've bought has been online with huge discounts, free shipping, and no sales tax.

It's not even Thanksgiving yet and I've got most of my Xmas shopping done, all at prices better than what are being advertised in the BF ads.