Drum set and Electric Guitar

ugh ok so my 12 year old daughter wants a Drum set for Christmas She is to big for the kid ones so needs a big set. without breaking the bank I am not sure this is possiable!! Our 15 year old son wants a Electric Guitar and Amp. Does anyone know of a place to get these where they won't fall apart but won't break the bank?

Look at MusicGoRound or other used resale centers for used drum set, guitar & amp.

http://www.musicgoround.com/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

I would suggest ebay, but it's hard to spend that much money and not see it before buying, when you can go into these type of stores and play the instrument before buying.

You could always look at craigslist too.

My 13 year old son bought an Ibanez electric used @ musicgoround 2 years ago (never plays it) but he does play the bass guitar we bought him this year...mostly because he uses it for Jazz Band at school and we have him in private lessons for the bass. We bought a brand new Ibanez 4 string bass with a gig bag, cable, practice amp and dual guitar stand for a little over $300.

My DS 7 asked for a drum set too. It's the second year he asked. I looked all over the net but finally found a killer deal for a set on Craigslist. It was a $250 drum set, two years old and played less than 5 times. It's in like new condition and I only paid $50!

The $50 investment I'm fine with if he plays it 10 times and never plays it again. If I would have spent $200+ and he never played with then I'd feel really bad.

There's no comparison between real ones and the junk toy ones the retail stores sell. My son needed a trumpet for school band and first I found out what models the music store was getting them to buy. He also wanted an electric guitar for xmas that year. I refuse to spend good money on junk, so I went on Giardinelli.com, they are musicians friends sister company. I got a Blaessing intermediate model trumpet with a list price of 1200 for 450. His electric guitar was BC Rich warlock with a list price of over 400.00 for 199. I also bought a nice stand for 6.00. They are wonderful. I made monthly payments on the trumpet and it was only 15.00 a month. They also have free shipping. I cannot stress enough that if you don't buy real quality ones, they won't be happy playing them. My son is 12 now, but took lessons and his teacher was adamant you need the real thing to learn correctly.

ugh ok so my 12 year old daughter wants a Drum set for Christmas She is to big for the kid ones so needs a big set. without breaking the bank I am not sure this is possiable!! Our 15 year old son wants a Electric Guitar and Amp. Does anyone know of a place to get these where they won't fall apart but won't break the bank?

look on craigslist i just got my son a eb rich guitar and amp for $100 it is a real one and looks sounds good

thank you everyone.. we found drums locally today I think the brand is Nighthawk seem to be good ones . Now to look for the guitar. I also found a place that does leasson's for only $20

$20/lesson?

That is on the high end.

we pay $68/month...even if there are 5 days of lessons/month...assuming 1 lesson/week

$17/lesson is a better number to look for :)

Wow! Are the $20 lessons individual or group? Many guitar lessons are now done in a group format.

Ours are $7. I used to teach piano and mine were $12- which was on the high end.

Try calling around to the smaller music stores to see if they have individuals that come in and give lessons.

It still seems really high to me, but it's a lot harder to find 'drum teachers' than piano or guitar. I'd still call around to a few different stores, even if the store doesn't offer lessons, they should keep a list of all local instructors.

Are they 1/2 hour lessons?

Hope that helps! Maybe I'm in the wrong business! I can play the drums fairly well, but I'm not sure $20 will cover my headache pills after teaching a kid :P