37" Sylvania - no digital cable tuner

theimage13

Hi guys and gals,

Just a heads-up on a very disappointing discovery about Sears' $399 37" Sylvania TV - there is no QAM tuner in this model.

We subscribe to basic, basic, basic cable - meaning about 20 analog channels only - because the cheapest option with digital is over $60 a month. We're looking to buy a TV with a QAM tuner so we can at least pick up the unencrypted local channels in QAM (which are mandated by the FCC), but with this set, we wouldn't even be able to do that. So if you're on a basic cable package and don't have a separate digital tuner from your cable co, this set isn't going to be a good call for you if you rely on cable (over antenna) for your locals.

Or you can buy one of the set tops to pick-up the signal for analog TVs. I got one for my TV and with the government coupon, it was pratically free.

The set top converter boxes are something different than what theimage13 is talking about. Those boxes just pick up the over-the-air channels and require a separate antenna. QAM tuners pick up those locals right through the cable, no antenna or separate box needed (important if you are in an area that doesn't get good over-the-air reception).

Or you can buy one of the set tops to pick-up the signal for analog TVs. I got one for my TV and with the government coupon, it was pratically free.

Those are just ATSC to NTSC converters - both of which are already built into this TV. A half-decent standalone QAM tuner still costs over $100, and are not eligible for the coupon program.