What should I look for in a digital camera (point and shoot)

lovebears65

Just bought a Fuji Finepix 1500 from Newegg and it came to $161 including shipping--no tax. Cheapest price for that camera. TWELVE times optical zoom! Can't beat that for the price. I was going to get a camera on BF but they just don't have the optical zoom that I wanted. To me that is the most important thing.

Keep the Nikon. Forget about the Kodak.

Digital Zoom is the computer within the camera zooming. Optical zoom is the actual lens zooming. You want more optical zoom than digital for better picture quality. Digital, to me personally, is worthless because if you print a digitally zoomed pic, it comes out grainy.

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorials/optical-digital-zoom/

Yep, there's nothing in a digital zoom that you couldn't do at home on your computer.

Optical zoom is where it's at! :smart:

Did all of you camera hunters see this Amazon "Black Friday week" special?

Fujifilm FinePix J28 10MP, 3x optical zoom camera. $79.99 AND it is coming with a free case AND 2MP card!

If you look at the page there is a Best Value package.

That includes the camera, the case, the card, and an extra Lithium battery for $83.23 !!!!!!!!!

Well, that did it. That's what my 8yo is getting for Christmas. I will contact Fuji about buying an extended warranty through them. This is the only camera he is getting until high school, if I can help it (unless it is my hand me down and *I* upgrade!)

Great deal!!! It's better than the Target price PLUS he gets a case and an SD card AND an extra battery (something I wish I had for my Canon..!)

Link to camera!

It is safe to say that considering that wide variety of first-hand experiences, that it is going to be difficult to narrow things down. Having said that, here are my impressions... :D

Nikon. Stay away from low-end inexpensive Nikons. I've seen serious pincushion and fisheye problems with their lenses. As you move up their product line, the cameras improve significantly.

Polaroid. Seems to get praise rooted in brand nostalgia than due to the technical merits. Definitely a case of you-get-what-you-pay for.

Kodak. Pretty inconsistent across models. Some are decent, some are horrendous.

Panasonic. Not the first name that comes to my mind for digital cameras, but their Lumix series is surprisingly good.

IMO, the best deal is: Panasonic ZS1 10MP for $199 @ Costco.

I SUPER love my Nikon CoolPix and want to buy another one just because I want to give my son mine and have another, but I'll hold off... My mother has one too and hers was so great that is why I bought mine. My SIL is getting one this BF. Target has one at $88, there are some at Sears and WM or somewhere BF, all have diff zooms etc... I have never been happier with my Nikon, I had a Sony before that.

Which is the better deal? The Fujifilm FinePix J28 10MP, 3x optical zoom camera. $79.99 AND it is coming with a free case AND 2MP card from Amazon or The Radio Shack 12MP Kodak w/free photo printer for $99? I can't find any reviews on the Radio Shack one. It will be for a 13 year old.

Which is the better deal? The Fujifilm FinePix J28 10MP, 3x optical zoom camera. $79.99 AND it is coming with a free case AND 2MP card from Amazon or The Radio Shack 12MP Kodak w/free photo printer for $99? I can't find any reviews on the Radio Shack one. It will be for a 13 year old.

I'd go with the Fujufilm J28.

Instead of printing at home, it's usually cheaper/easier to upload your photos to a photo center and have them printed on real photo paper.

Since Cindy edited the title to include all P&S talk, I'll throw this in... I have two Sony cameras, one of which is my second "bridge camera" (aka "DSLR-like")

< snip >

To follow up with my bridge camera write-up back on page one of this thread, B&H Photo has just released a Bridge Camera Buyers Guide:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Bridge-Cameras.jsp

I'd go with the Fujufilm J28.

Instead of printing at home, it's usually cheaper/easier to upload your photos to a photo center and have them printed on real photo paper.

Good point! I don't know why I didn't think of that since I rarely print photos at home for just that reason. I just wish the camera came in a color other than black. She wants a brighter one.

Ok I was online hunting as some deals are up and running but after re-reading this thread I just don't understand and am even more confused. I was looking for something under $100. I just want to be able to take nice photos on my adventure. My old one did the job last time in Europe but I wanted an upgrade.

I don't want to spend over $100 as I would just keep what I have as a new camera is a want and not a need. I'm not some photo enthusiast and I only use my camera on my travels.

I was thinking of the $49 one at BB but after reading reviews on the net it seems to be a crapass camera.

So I found these:

http://www.target.com/Polaroid-12-0MP-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B002JIN1H0/ref=sc_pgp_r_2_0_2234645011/182-1849631-5010610?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1

and the Nikon Coolpix 10.0MP Digital Camera - Silver (S203) from Target ($88) but then I saw the Kodak Easy Share MD81 at Radio Shack and it says $100 rebate so does that mean I get it for free?

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032123