Do you keep track of how much $$ you spend on Christmas?

angied64084

I do. In early October I start an Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each of my children and one shared tab for everyone else. On the kids' tab I have all of the items on their Christmas lists, the best price I can find on each item, and where I found that price. I look through the list and highlight the items in yellow that I intend to buy from me & DH or Santa. Once I buy and item I change the color to green and put in the actual price paid (if it is different than what I had listed previously). If I find the item on sale and go back and do a price match I update the price then too. It is really handy because I can look at the green items and see what I have already purchased and the yellow items to see what I still have left to buy. A copy of this list goes to my MIL after BF, and she knows that any items that are not highlighted are the ones I am not planning to purchase and she concentrates on those (so I usually try to leave 1 or 2 good items per kid for her to get). I pretty much use the same system for everyone else who is listed on the shared tab. I also keep a binder with hard copies of the lists and all receipts in my car, in case I need to check the list or need a receipt for a price adjustment while I am out in town. I really like to be organized.:yup:

I have to. I make a budget and do my best to stick to it. I spend 30 on everyone. If it is between 30-35 then it is ok, but I don't do much more than that.

I will be using excel this year. I usually do a list of who/what I want to buy first. Then as I buy I put what I bought and the amount.

I just read an article that this year according to the gallup poll, Americans will spend around $740.00 on Christmas this year. I have no idea how many people they buy for. I know this year My spending will be less. I have tweens now who want the higher end electronics. I plan on getting my family one expensive item and a few cheapo presents. How about you all. I have to purchase for 6 people this year, my budget is higher than the average but I will be spending about half as much last year

I already have most of my gifts that I either bought too much of last year or found on sale throughout the year. Except for a few new presents, the main thing I'm buying this x-mas is Zhu Zhu Pets and accessories. Total I'll probably spend under $300 and that's for 4 kids and small items for husband, brother, Sister-in-law and mother.

we are spending less than usual...we are doing $10 Christmas with my BIL and SIL's kids and our kids (she got a great deal on Target clearance, and it was a challenge to me to meet it...DONE!)...my other nieces and nephew that I buy for, it's $30 each...dh and I don't buy for each other because we'd rather buy for our kids...we have a third child this year, but since it's her first Christmas, and she doesn't need much, she won't be getting much (she will only be 6 months)...I overbuy for my oldest, but save many things for his birthday that falls about 4 weeks after Christmas, so that's how I justify that...we buy for each set of parents, and other than that, no one else...this year, I've gotten 90% certificates from restaurant.com, getting free photoboooks, and used my $15 Kodak gift to get photo mugs, and that's it for all of them, too...must.be.frugal...

We are buying for 33 poeple, including 6 teacher gifts. It looks like we will be spending around $500. We have already spent about $275 and have more than half of the gifts taken care of. It really helped that we got a bunch of stuff at clearance sale prices throughout the year, otherwise we could easily go over that $740. Way over.

That only includes gifts, though. We will be spending a couple hundred more on food, a christmas party, and trips to Grandmas' houses.

I blew that $750 out of the water.

My 15 yr old son has already gotten: Ipod touch 16gb and black leather case

X-box 360: Borderlands, left 4 dead 2 (preorder), Modern Warfare (picking this up tonight at midnight! They are having a release party) and another game He already is playing, but knows its one of his "christmas" gifts.

13 month XBox live card, Clothes, Cologne, New Fusion Giftset w/ replacement cartridges for the razor, Silk boxers and pajama pants... Some DS games (mario)... Theres more but I can't think of them now- all hidden.

Total for him is around $600.

I also have a 9 year old daughter. I won't go into detail what I've gotten her, but I know I bought too much. I have spent around $500-600 on her too.

I think that $740 is way low...we are very conservative for Christmas, only buying for about 15 people and we still spend around $1000.

The breakdown:

Kids: $150 (X3)

DH: $150

Me: $150

MIL: $50

Mom: $50

InLaws: $100

and that leaves $50 for things like wrapping paper, tape, etc.