Bratz Dolls

pastasalad

My dd age 9 wants the Bratz dolls this yr...her G'ma asked her what she wanted AND my dd's reply was the Bratz dolls.,..well my SIL who has a 7thgrader and wants bratz dolls also has decided they are inappropriate for her dd and voiced her opinion to my mil....and my MIL told my dd they are horrible dolls and she could make better choices......WELLLLL my 1st instinct is to go out and buy every stinkin bratz doll there is...but of course i wont do that....any adivice from anyone about these dolls? I know the names sounds kinda snotty...HELP.... anyone I dont wanna cause an uprising in the family my goodness this is the 20th century! ;)

My 6 and (almost) 9 year old daughters have been playing with Bratz for a few years now. I agree that some (okay, most) of the clothing is inappropriate. However, my girls know that WE don't wear clothing like that and they just have fun playing with them. They have even told me "We don't wear shirts that show our tummies. They are inappropriate!" It's just a toy.

They are cute- my daughter has a ton of them. They dress kind of hootchie, but it hasn't made my daughter want to dress that way. Jeez- some people have such a stick up their butts. I would tell SIL to mind her own buisness. Her forbidding it is just going to make the kid more curious. It's just a doll.

ROFL about going out and buying every Bratz doll there is...that is just what I would do.

They are no different then Barbies, ( more ) teen styled, My daughter has a whole box of them and My scene, ( barbies answer to the Bratz dolls.) These are a doll that come with clothes and they have themes, ( prom,sports, Babies, slumber party,) No different then when Barbie had a baby. If thats what she wants then she should have them, tell your MIL and SIL that your views and theirs are different and if the other doesnt want her daughter to have them thats fine, But you see nothing wrong with them

I'm in agreement with the SIL that the Bratz are inappropriate, and not what I want my daughter playing with.... that being said I have a 6yoa whose friends all have Bratz and everything on her list is some variation of a Bratz toy, (Bratz dolls, Bratz RC Car, Bratz Van etc).

We've come to a sort of compromise, she knows that I don't like the Bratz, and that I don't let her watch the Bratz movie (her cousin had it and from what I saw I have to tell you they were pretty hootchy as someone said before) but I do let her have a couple of dolls, we just don't go overboard and she knows she can't have clothes like that. As for the rest of her list I got her one big Bratz item, I got her the RC car. She will get a bunch of other non-bratz item too.

In regards to your MIL though, I think it's a personal decision for you as to what you want your daughter to have/watch. Unless she was the one with the aversion to Bratz (not the SIL) then she should get what your daughter wants as long as she has your permission.

I too am in agreement that Bratz dolls are not appropriate and do not buy them for my daughter. However, my best friend's little girl (3 months older than my dd) has tons of them. My best friend does not let her bring them to our house and will not bring the Bratz movies to my house, but when we go there, I know that dd will be playing with them.

It really is a preference thing and if YOU decide that YOUR daughter can play with them, that is all that matters. As a parent, many decisions a person may make will not make everyone else happy. Too bad, she is your child and I'm sure you will make the best decision for your family.

Well to me it's just a doll, a pretend doll. I mean if your going to say they are inappropriate then you might as well scratch Barbie off the list for her measurements and clothing choices along with My Scene, baby alive or any other baby doll that requires 'taking care of' (real water, food, changing wet and soiled diapers) because no child should be doing this at such young ages and truthfully a real baby is much more work and may give the little girl the wrong impression of how to care for a real baby. Scratch off GI Joes, Pirates, well really any kind of boy action figure because little boys should not be taught that it is ever okay to play with guns, bombs, knives, or stealing things from other people. Oh, and they shouldn't be allowed to play with matchbox cars or any other toy car if they are going to crash them because realistically crashing cars ruins them and can kill people so they shouldn't be taught that nothing will happen if you crash a car on purpose. Scratch video games off the list too because there are so many fighting games, crashing cars games, hunting cars, games that use weapons and the fact that they discourage exercise and creative mind using play time. Hell we might as well get rid of 90% of the toys that are on the shelves now a days! Oh the things we teach our kids thru PRETEND play!

By the way my step-daughter, several of my nieces and their friends all have and play with these dolls and NONE of them dress like a hootchie or have ever asked or tried to dress that way.

My dd is 3 and likes these dolls and will be getting a few from Santa this year as well as the Jeep. I dont think any of the ones we bought her were "hoochie" we got her the snowboarder and iceskater (she loves iceskating) and a few of the boy dolls. I think it is great that they have the themes to show that girls can snowboard and be pretty iceskaters and play soccer and such along those lines.

My dd has been collecting bratz dolls for about two years and was on a binge shopping thing with them. She thought she had to get each Cloe out of every line. But I finally convinved her that just getting each new girl as they come out is the way to go. We are way behind due to financial strains this year. So she hasn't gotten any "new" girls since her last birthday. I believe we are about 10 to 12 girls behind. :rolleyes:

Well to me it's just a doll, a pretend doll. I mean if your going to say they are inappropriate then you might as well scratch Barbie off the list

You're entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us are..... but that would be my whole point for the OP in this post.... You are responsible for your daughter and you should be the one making choices for her when she's young not someone else.....for me personally the movie is what made me decide that I didn't think Bratz were appropriate for my daugther. I do not go crazy about it and do let her have a couple of the dolls since she really, really wants them but I also choose which ones as some are worse than others.

A little off topic but your post reminds me of the SouthPark where they had the Christmas Pageant and everyone complained about everything, the jewish people didn't like the Christmas tree, the Christians were offended by the menorah, etc, etc and they took everything off the stage so that in the end the kids were just standing there with nothing but a star on the stage and weren't sure what to do because everything else had been taken away... but then the epiliptic kid had a seizure from the star and they had to take it away too!!

You're entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us are..... but that would be my whole point for the OP in this post.... You are responsible for your daughter and you should be the one making choices for her when she's young not someone else.....for me personally the movie is what made me decide that I didn't think Bratz were appropriate for my daugther. I do not go crazy about it and do let her have a couple of the dolls since she really, really wants them but I also choose which ones as some are worse than others.

My point was that it's up to the parent of that child not the SIL, MIL, or anyone else. I myself feel they are just a pretend toy doll and allow my step-daughter to have them, which I stated in my original post. I was simply pointing out that if one is going to disallow those dolls due to them being inappropriate then 90% of the rest of the toys on shelves today fall into that same category of being inappropriate. I mean if one honestly believes that a pretend bratz doll will encourage their daughter to dress as a hoochie then wouldn't a fighting game encourage their child it's okay and rewarding to fight? or that it's okay to wreck a vehicle on purpose because the vehicle will not be ruined or a person can not be killed since their toy figure didn't die or the video game people didn't die. See what I mean? Someone can always find something inappropriate about a toy. I don't feel this way about all toys I am simply giving examples. We have bratz but my SD also knows and has been taught that dressing the way they do is not acceptable. For us we allow pretend playing but we also teach right from wrong. I am raising my kids the same way I was raised and I think I turned out pretty good! I guess here is a question for the OP...Are you going to limit your own child's toys to only the toys that the whole family deems okay?

I don't have any girls, so Bratz aren't an issue here. I probably would not buy them though for younger girls. We don't buy toy guns or swords either, but my son is allowed to play with them if he is at a house where they are. That's probably what I'd do with the dolls too, like EmConMom was saying.

To the OP, if you are okay with them, that is all that matters. It is a much more sticky situation when someone gets your child a present that you do not approve of and you have to figure out to keep everyone happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well to me it's just a doll, a pretend doll. I mean if your going to say they are inappropriate then you might as well scratch Barbie off the list for her measurements and clothing choices along with My Scene, baby alive or any other baby doll that requires 'taking care of' (real water, food, changing wet and soiled diapers) because no child should be doing this at such young ages and truthfully a real baby is much more work and may give the little girl the wrong impression of how to care for a real baby. Scratch off GI Joes, Pirates, well really any kind of boy action figure because little boys should not be taught that it is ever okay to play with guns, bombs, knives, or stealing things from other people. Oh, and they shouldn't be allowed to play with matchbox cars or any other toy car if they are going to crash them because realistically crashing cars ruins them and can kill people so they shouldn't be taught that nothing will happen if you crash a car on purpose. Scratch video games off the list too because there are so many fighting games, crashing cars games, hunting cars, games that use weapons and the fact that they discourage exercise and creative mind using play time. Hell we might as well get rid of 90% of the toys that are on the shelves now a days! Oh the things we teach our kids thru PRETEND play!

By the way my step-daughter, several of my nieces and their friends all have and play with these dolls and NONE of them dress like a hootchie or have ever asked or tried to dress that way.

I agree it is up to YOU as a parent to TEACH your child the right and wrong way, not the toys your child is playing with......

I agree it is up to YOU as a parent to TEACH your child the right and wrong way, not the toys your child is playing with......

AMEN

(The following is just my opinion. I'm not berating anyone who doesn't allow their kid to play with certain toys. :) )

My dd is 16 so she skipped the Bratz phase but she did have her fair share of Barbie. lol. My niece is 6 and hasn't gotten into the Bratz yet, but I'm sure she will. LOL.

My son is 10 and he does play with swords (hard plastic ones of course) and toy guns. A few months ago he was taken to the shooting range and shot a 22. His grandfather is giving him a 22 for Christmas. He plays with the toys but he respects the real ones.

My son had a friend whom has moved recently who wasn't allowed to play with swords and toy guns. While the friend was down here at my house he held one of the toy guns to his head and shot himself in the head. I got all over the kid. I have never seen my son do something like this.

Forgive me for getting off the subject but I wholeheartedly agree with the quote.

AMEN

(The following is just my opinion. I'm not berating anyone who doesn't allow their kid to play with certain toys. :) )

My dd is 16 so she skipped the Bratz phase but she did have her fair share of Barbie. lol. My niece is 6 and hasn't gotten into the Bratz yet, but I'm sure she will. LOL.

My son is 10 and he does play with swords (hard plastic ones of course) and toy guns. Recently last year he was taken to the shooting range and shot a 22. His grandfather is giving him a 22 for Christmas. He plays with the toys but he respects the real ones.

My son had a friend whom has moved recently who wasn't allowed to play with swords and toy guns. While the friend was down here at my house he held one of the toy guns to his head and shot himself in the head. I got all over the kid. I have never seen my son do something like this.

Forgive me for getting off the subject but I wholeheartedly agree with the quote.

I believe in this whole hearted ,I do not like toy guns but my son has one, I do think they are above the fridge as I had one rule you do not pointed them at any one you need to respect it. Heck I don't let them use there fingers as guns

Thanks everyone a lot of GREAT points have been made. I bought dd a couple of the pj bratz-they look pretty tame and if she brings them to G'mas house maybe she wont get offended...I didnt go through a doll phase with my oldest dd-she was more of a tomboy and wanted athletic stuff, so when my daughter told me what G'ma said I had no idea anyone even thought they could be inappropriate, I do know unless you catch them on sale they are pretty darn exspensive!

:gdthankyou: