Packaging: Who's Naughty and Who's Nice

len_mullen

Now that my orders are arriving, I am dealing with all the packaging.  My town's waste management company published an instruction to help us 'do a better job recycling.'  (Which prompted me to respond that I was not in the recycling business urging them to work with the shippers to DO A BETTER JOB PACKAGING.)

Obviously, Apple tops the Naughty list.  It shouldn't require a two wheeler to get airpods from the mailbox.  Amazon is right behind -- pretending their electronics products are Apple.  Amazon's packages are sealed with tape that cannot easily be separated from the recyclable materials.  Real PITA.

So far, Staples and Target top the Nice list.

I bought a 10.1" Echo Show from Staples.  The Staples box was cardboard sealed with a rubbery plastic tape that stretched and pulled off the box.  Target uses paper packing tape, so no need to separate at all.

I bought a 'Hyper Drive' from Best Buy which was packed in an envelope.  100% landfill, but there wasn't much of it.  Unfortunately, the package inside was damaged.

How is your stuff coming?

• Like 1

I’ve been doing a lot of orders for in store pick up or free ship to store so that has helped with packaging excess. Generally most items delivered this way are in clear plastic bags that I can put in the bag recycling bins at my grocery store. The downside of store pick/ship to store is you use more gas to drive places so I’m not sure if it’s really all that better for the environment.

For shipments, I like that Kohl’s uses recyclable plastic shipping pouches for any soft items (like bedding, bath towels and clothes) so I would put them on the nice list. I agree with you that Amazon is super wasteful and more time consuming to recycle properly, they are definitely on the naughty list.

I think Amazon is carefully monitoring my Echo Show devices.  I have been noticing recipes for stuff I had on my shopping list and since complaining about Amazon's packaging, everything has come in an appropriate sized box wrapped in paper tape -- which can be recycled.  They must be bored out of their skulls.   :gdsleep3:

• Like 2