Thanksgiving meal

vkozlowski0419

I come and look at this thread everyday and it always makes me hungry...... smh

Me too! And I have found a few things I want to make, that I didn't think of! The oven roasted vegetables that someone posted sounds soooo good! Anything with brussel sprouts is right up my alley! Seriously!

I'm actually getting to cook this year! (I know, I'm crazy, right?) But seriously, I am looking forward to it. As usual, it will just be my dad and I again this year. (Brother isn't local & can't get time off, mom's been gone 10 years now.) Normally, since I'm driving up to visit with him, he just makes reservations for us at one of the little mom & pop type restaurants in his little town. But this year, after some discussion, I offered to do some home-cooking. He agreed. (It's not something he would ever ask - I think because he probably thinks of the big job it was for his mom (my nana) every year. But... It's a far bigger job for 10-12 folks than it is for just two.) Soooooo... He offered to buy the turkey. I'll roast it (I have a reliable recipe that always yields tasty results) and we'll both work on the side dishes.

So far on the menu:

- Roasted turkey

- Stuffing (he likes pretty much any kind, so I may use a recipe I saw over on the recipe thread here)

- This amazing sweet potato bake: http://bit.ly/1scOQ6I (from allrecipes.com)

- Baked or mashed taters (TBD - we'll decide later)

- Canned cranberry sauce

- Steamed green beans & carrots

- Great Harvest Bread Company bread

- Fresh "from-the-pumpkin" pumpkin pie (I'll make that before I head up)

It's going to be good eats and we can munch on the leftovers all weekend, though I'll likely cook salmon for us either Friday or Saturday, just to lighten things up a bit.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So how did everyone's meal's go? Our went well we ended up doing the following.

Smoked Turkey (I did a nice injection and a spiced butter for under the skin)

Spiral Sliced Ham

Mashed Potatoes

Dressing

Stuffing (yes they are different lol)

Sweet Potato Casserole

Corn

Mac'n'Cheese

Rolls

Gravy

Green Bean Casserole

Chess Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

Wife made some drink with Apple Cider and Caramel Vodka that everyone liked (I didn't try any).

Everyone had a good time and after dinner a bunch of played Cards Against Humanity.

• Like 1

We had turkey,ham,stuffing,mashed potatoes, yucca, corn bread casserole,mac and cheese, rice, black beans+more I'm sure. The food was delicious. Mom and I left father chatting and to collect left overs while we went shopping about 6 and came back at almost midnight with all the containers on kitchen table.needless to say the black beans I loved so much were spoiled and had to be thrown out.:( we had a nice dinner and a good chat during and after too though

We had turkey,ham,stuffing,mashed potatoes, yucca, corn bread casserole,mac and cheese, rice, black beans+more I'm sure. The food was delicious. Mom and I left father chatting and to collect left overs while we went shopping about 6 and came back at almost midnight with all the containers on kitchen table.needless to say the black beans I loved so much were spoiled and had to be thrown out. :( we had a nice dinner and a good chat during and after too though

That sucks but at least you had a good time and got to eat them the first time around. We have a ton of leftovers in our fridge and have been eating them all weekend. Soon I will not eat another bite of turkey for another year lol.