Walmart Epic Fail

dwc designs

A member posted a jacket yesterday that was listed on Aero's website for $11. It was an obvious mistake but I'm sure there were a bunch of people that benefited from it. That made me think of the Epic Fail Walmart.com experienced about 2 years ago when the website had a bunch of items listed for pennies on the dollar. I remember there were a few of us on here who managed to actually receive the deals we snagged online, but the majority of the items were canceled. I know I received a few of the video games and almost got an HD Projector for $18!

My question is has anyone ever found one of those oops items online that was well below what it should have been? Did the retailer honor the purchase? What was your best find?

• Like 2

I remember that, I got the 2 newest Pokemon games at the time for $18 each, some people were able to get the Disney Infinity for that price as well, all orders that were made for shipping were cancelled, but those of us that did store pick up and did it quick got them.

The best Ive ever done with the opps price was at Sam's Club we were buying some hamburger meat usually we buy 2 of the 10 pound tubes they put out, well looking at the price as we always try to buy the biggest ones, I noticed the price were marked at $2.38 for the WHOLE 10 lbs, it should of been 10 lbs, we grabbed a couple and told the meat guy behind the counter, he came around and said thanks and legally he had to sell it to us for the price marked and asked us how many we wanted, we could of taken them all for that price but we didnt we just took what we could use and what our freezer could fit.

so 20 lbs of hamburger meat cost us less than $5 instead of over $40.

• Like 4

lol its funny you yourself jaymac posted a thread about it the next day after it was over

http://forums.gottadeal.com/topic/202968-strange-shopping-cart-snowstorm-at-walmartcom/

I cant find the topic about it happened on Nov 6, 2013 as I found my order on my order history page at walmart.com

but there was lots of talk about it that day, will keep looking it has to be on here somewhere

Edit: finally found it in the Deal Discussion forum

http://forums.gottadeal.com/topic/202859-merged-walmartcom-price-mistake-discussion-mega-thread/

Edited by riven3d
  • Like 2

It's really a lot of work for retailers to police their pricing these days with pricing data going to brick n mortar stores and online sometimes being different, and with pricing in different regions of the country being different, let alone internationally.  Mistakes will be made.  Especially in the havoc that is Black Friday.  It just so happens the company I work for is a pretty big player in that space, trying to eliminate those mistakes as much as possible.

Circuit City honored their mistakes - perhaps a little too well.  Or maybe just too many mistakes to be honored.

Kohls has been good about honoring prices that may have been accidental.

Sears did for me once too.

Lowes did once for me and didn't a different time.

Speaking of food though, Kroger does a good job of honoring (possibly incorrectly) marked prices.

• Like 1

Several BF's ago, I bought 10 memory cards and 10 USB drives for $1 each at radioshack.com. To be honest, I really thought it was a BF deal and not a price mistake, and I needed 10 of each because I was put in charge of buying memory for both sides of the family. It wasn't like they were high capacity or anything. It actually burned me because it showed everything shipped but they canceled the USB drives, and by the time I found out about it, BF was over. At least I received the cards. 

• 4 weeks later...

I remember Walmart's epic fail!  I was too late.  By the time I read about it, people's orders were already being canceled.  I found a air soft rifle at Walmart (not on BF) that had a clearance sticker of $19.98, regular price was $80-$90.  When I checked out, it was scanning regular price.  The manager would not honor the ticket price.  I also found something at Target - had a sign in front of it with a sale price, but it was ringing up regular price.  The manager would not honor the sale price either, but thanked me for letting her know so she could take the sign down!  I guess I'm not very lucky! 

• 3 weeks later...

A quick phone call to corporate normally fixes that. Walmart did that to me once and the next day called me offering to sell it to me for the price and gave me a small gift card for my troubles. Also happened with best buy once... 2 days later they had the item waiting for me to pick up at customer service. Granted both instances the price was off by less than $25, but for that small amount of money they will normally eat their mistake and make the customer happy especially if you are willing to call to voice your complaint and they were legitimately wrong.

Another card to play is the online survey. A lot of companies base their manager's bonuses at least partially on survey results. I have never had to play that card, but I imagine it would have a good result if the mistake really was theirs.

The only company that ever stood their ground to the end was Target. They refused to refund my money and instead issued me a store credit, even though it was their mistake (shipped the wrong item or something like that). I paid with paypal and they only refund paypal purchases with gift cards. after several phone calls, a complaint to the BBB and the FTC they refused to refund my money. Call me childish, but I never have been back to spent that in store credit and I doubt I will ever shop there again.

The Walmart glitch a few years ago rocked!! 3 Disney Infinites $18.00 each, (2) dual auto DVD players, $5.79 each...I work right by Walmart, so I was able to run down first thing....paid online, and picked up instore.....

Edited by MochasMom

A quick phone call to corporate normally fixes that. Walmart did that to me once and the next day called me offering to sell it to me for the price and gave me a small gift card for my troubles. Also happened with best buy once... 2 days later they had the item waiting for me to pick up at customer service. Granted both instances the price was off by less than $25, but for that small amount of money they will normally eat their mistake and make the customer happy especially if you are willing to call to voice your complaint and they were legitimately wrong.

Another card to play is the online survey. A lot of companies base their manager's bonuses at least partially on survey results. I have never had to play that card, but I imagine it would have a good result if the mistake really was theirs.

The only company that ever stood their ground to the end was Target. They refused to refund my money and instead issued me a store credit, even though it was their mistake (shipped the wrong item or something like that). I paid with paypal and they only refund paypal purchases with gift cards. after several phone calls, a complaint to the BBB and the FTC they refused to refund my money. Call me childish, but I never have been back to spent that in store credit and I doubt I will ever shop there again.

I had a problem like that with Target, too. I ordered a pair of shoes for my daughter (along with about a year's supply of tp that I used coupons and Target gift cards to pay for) and they sent the wrong size. They said since no store near me had that shoe in the size I needed, I needed to mail it back to them and it would take 4-6 weeks for them to "investigate" and "perhaps" they would resend the correct pair. They acted as if I had broken into their warehouse, purposely put a toddler's shoe size into the size 3 box that would go to my house, and then try to distract them with my absurdly large order of Cottonelle. How this would benefit me, I don't know. I assumed they didn't like that I got a great deal and wanted to play with me. Or perhaps they wanted to get me so worked up that I would spontaneously purge whatever intestinal parasite I had that would cause me to need so much toilet paper at once.  My daughter needed the shoes now, not in a month or two. So the shoes returned to them and I haven't. Honestly, if I can find a teal Fitbit anywhere other than Target before Christmas, I would be willing to pay more to avoid that store.