Official Black Friday HDTV Discussion Thread

Brad

Any thoughts on the 55" Samsung in the dell ad?  It has 4 hdmi which is a big selling point for me since my kids have multiple gaming consoles

It has pretty good reviews on Amazon and was reportedly listed at $749 there two days ago, though I don't think anyone was successful ordering one before that price disappeared.  (Accidental sneak peek maybe?)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55H6350-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00I94IPTW

Here's more than 500 posts on it from people who really live and breathe this kind of stuff.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1524487-official-samsung-unxxh6350-owners-thread.html

If you do score one, make sure to read this info on calibrating it.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-h6350-picture-settings.html

• Like 1

I got the 55" samsung smart tv last year at the wal mart BF...LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!! This year I am looking for a smaller tv to put in my workout room that will be used mainly for doing my wokrout programs (p90x,t25,max 30,etc). I would love to get another samsung because the quality is just wonderful but I think a vizio or such would do.

Any suggestions? I am looking for a 32 or 36"

THX,

jenn

Anyone thinking about getting th 40" Samsung smart tv that sears has in its black Friday ad for $329.99 plus $30 in points? That is the best deal I have seen for a smart tv that size. I wanted to buy a tv the day before thanksgiving since I am off and I have to work thanksgiving and black Friday buy I may wait and get this tv.

Anyone thinking about getting th 40" Samsung smart tv that sears has in its black Friday ad for $329.99 plus $30 in points? That is the best deal I have seen for a smart tv that size. I wanted to buy a tv the day before thanksgiving since I am off and I have to work thanksgiving and black Friday buy I may wait and get this tv.

wow, that is not a bad price! I may just get one of these instead of the 30-some inch.

Jenn

wow, that is not a bad price! I may just get one of these instead of the 30-some inch.

Jenn

Most definitely go for the 40"!!  I got a 40" and while it looked big in the box, when I put it on the wall, I wish I had another 50" :)  That's a good deal on a great TV, and a bit off the beaten path of WM,Target,BB, so you might avoid some crowds.

I think I will go for my larger TV next year and cycle down this 40" to the next best location.

Help? I need to find my aunt a new TV this year. She does not have cable or a bluray player and wants a brand name in addition to some dvr type device. There's no point looking for a 1080 right since she won't get any benefit? Any suggestions on easy to use dvr compatible with over the air signals and minimal fidgeting required? This is for someone who has trouble with complicated dvd menus...

She does not have cable or a bluray player and wants a brand name in addition to some dvr type device.

Her TV is hooked up to an antenna?  How big a screen is she looking for?  What is your budget?  Will she want to plug in other devices (a streamer, dvd player, vcr)?  If so, how are they connected (composite, component, hdmi)?

Help? I need to find my aunt a new TV this year. She does not have cable or a bluray player and wants a brand name in addition to some dvr type device. There's no point looking for a 1080 right since she won't get any benefit? Any suggestions on easy to use dvr compatible with over the air signals and minimal fidgeting required? This is for someone who has trouble with complicated dvd menus...

Does she have wifi?

She lives in an old stucco house, No wifi or cable(or ac for that matter) nor any plans for such. Sizewise I'm thinking at least 32 maybe bigger depending on cost difference. I think the over the air box is composite as is the DVD player. I'm thinking most tvs now have ota/tuners is that mostly true for rca/Vizio/Samsung? Need the dvr too. Had thought about one i saw on walmart to hook up hard drive but that sounds like millions of calls to me re tech support. Looking on eBay now for used Tivo maybe seems the most user friendly I've seen

She lives in an old stucco house, No wifi or cable(or ac for that matter) nor any plans for such. Sizewise I'm thinking at least 32 maybe bigger depending on cost difference. I think the over the air box is composite as is the DVD player. I'm thinking most tvs now have ota/tuners is that mostly true for rca/Vizio/Samsung? Need the dvr too. Had thought about one i saw on walmart to hook up hard drive but that sounds like millions of calls to me re tech support. Looking on eBay now for used Tivo maybe seems the most user friendly I've seen

Sounds like my in laws.  I recommend the Channel Master DVR+.  It is a very intuitive DVR with a nice electronic program guide.  The DVR+ does not call home at all, so no internet of phone connection is required.  It costs $250 and you will need to add a usb disk, but they are teasing discounts later in the month.

Dell is offering a Samsung 32" LED (UN32EH4003FXZA) for $197.99.  It has one component OR one composite and two HDMI ports.  Best Buy reviews are plentiful and positive...

Customer Rating:    4.5  (3,331 customer reviews)

I would caution you that HD TVs are shorter and wider than their SD counterparts, so, if the 32" number is based on the size of the existing set, she may want to jump up to a bigger set.

Target has a VIZIO 39" Class 1080p 60Hz Full-Array LED TV (D390-B0) for $219.99.  This TV has one composite OR component input plus two HDMIs.

I do not think you should worry about 1080p at 32-39 inches.

A little pricey but i like the dvr+ concept. May get the 1tb option to avoid separate hard drive. Need to look up youtube regarding use/screen grabs to see if she'd be able to use it. Spanish menu might help her if available.

I was looking at the Vizio. Wonder if i can hit target before thanksgiving dinner. .. would save a little on taxes assuming they have pallets full

Edited by tinkrbel

There is spanish language support...

Past Releases: 108R (5/21/2014)

This update includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, including:

New Features:

Pandora Streaming Music Application has been implemented on channel 201
Spanish language support has been added to the user interface (you can change languages in the settings menu)

Hope that helps.

There is spanish language support...

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I just need to break down the cost for her and see if she wants to go ahead. She said she was ok spending a fortune on the tv so hopefully its good. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life fielding calls about her setup and/or have wasted money and effort on something she'll never use.

Thanks, I just need to break down the cost for her and see if she wants to go ahead. She said she was ok spending a fortune on the tv so hopefully its good. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life fielding calls about her setup and/or have wasted money and effort on something she'll never use.

The only problem we have had is when my mother in law changes the input on the tv by accident them presses buttons until she gives up.  It's amazing how much can be changed when you cannot see the screen as you press buttons.  That went on for about a month.  No problems since.  

The only problem we have had is when my mother in law changes the input on the tv by accident them presses buttons until she gives up.  It's amazing how much can be changed when you cannot see the screen as you press buttons.  That went on for about a month.  No problems since.  

oh the joys of a new age tv with extra buttons on all sides....maybe I should review the pics AND specs of all tvs before making any decisions. I can see her pushing the on button because why waste the remotes batteries and then run into similar issues....

I tried getting smart and bought a programmable remote with a touch screen for both my parents and my inlaws a few years ago.

I programmed one button to turn on all the devices (receiver/DirecTV/BlurRay/HDTV).

But the receivers had a separate "on" vs. "off" signal, so I had to program a separate button to turn all the devices off.

Remote controls have been around for what, a solid 30 years now?  At least?  Is it really a hard concept to remember that the remote needs to be pointed at least roughly at the devices in order to turn them on or off?  Invariable, since the remote has a screen, the user wants to look at and watch the screen (which doesn't do anything but show you the name of the button) when they press it.  It has a screen - it must be watched.  Therefore, the remote was more often than not pointed at the ceiling when the button was pushed meaning the devices were always getting out of sync.  I fought with them both for about 6 months before I just took the remotes away and told them to go back to using their stack of remotes.  You would have thought I was trying to teach them to speak a new sign language that uses only their feet or something.

But the remote works fine for me.  And now I have 2 backups...

I tried getting smart and bought a programmable remote with a touch screen for both my parents and my inlaws a few years ago.

I programmed one button to turn on all the devices (receiver/DirecTV/BlurRay/HDTV).

But the receivers had a separate "on" vs. "off" signal, so I had to program a separate button to turn all the devices off.

Remote controls have been around for what, a solid 30 years now?  At least?  Is it really a hard concept to remember that the remote needs to be pointed at least roughly at the devices in order to turn them on or off?  Invariable, since the remote has a screen, the user wants to look at and watch the screen (which doesn't do anything but show you the name of the button) when they press it.  It has a screen - it must be watched.  Therefore, the remote was more often than not pointed at the ceiling when the button was pushed meaning the devices were always getting out of sync.  I fought with them both for about 6 months before I just took the remotes away and told them to go back to using their stack of remotes.  You would have thought I was trying to teach them to speak a new sign language that uses only their feet or something.

But the remote works fine for me.  And now I have 2 backups...

You could always use an RF remote for this, I have used them in the past for components that aren't in the same room. With the IR Blaster it works really nice. Also is a great help when my daughter decides to park her toys in front of the electronics so the IR port is blocked. :)

oh the joys of a new age tv with extra buttons on all sides....maybe I should review the pics AND specs of all tvs before making any decisions. I can see her pushing the on button because why waste the remotes batteries and then run into similar issues....

You should definitely download and print out a manual for each of her devices.  

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-915-000143-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003IZFCFW

The BEST way to fool proof a multi device configuration is to buy a Harmony 300 remote ($40 shipped amazon) and program all buttons for all devices for what will make most sense for her.  For instance, pressing the DVD button would switch the input to the DVD, but pressing TV, Cable, or VCR button would all set the input to the DVR.  Regardless of what input is selected, make all the common buttons (volume) control the appropriate device (TV).  Make the buttons you do not want her to touch do nothing (program channel up and down to show info).  With the setup you described, the only thing that would change based on input selection would be the VCR/DVD/DVR controls (pause/ff/etc.).

It's a little bit of work, but when she calls, all you have to ask is whether the devices are powered on then have her select the appropriate device.  

I have slowly been doing this with my remotes and WAF has gone through the roof.  

I just had a discussion re the logtech remote I got my mom (a few years ago) yesterday. She sits and randomly clicks buttons/drops the remote etc then expects to be able to click whatever button and have it work as usual. She was telling me how she had repalced the batteries twice in one day. After troubleshooting that she didn't try to use the cheap cvs brand batteries she insisted on paying tax on, she starts complaining about the issue again. I looked at the remote and sure enough she had clicked something and was at device screen so none of the other buttons were working. This after replacing it once already because she dropped the thing and managed to snap the electrical connectors for battery and THAT after saving it previously from the coffee bath she had given it previously.

This is not something I wish to relive with my aunt. I can argue with my mother but its a whole different story to have to physically go to her house and update and then rewrite all the instructions since she misplaced the last 6 copies I gave her. I think she has a cheap/free universal remote I bought at one of the office places years ago.

The BEST way to fool proof a multi device configuration is to buy a Harmony 300 remote ($40 shipped amazon) and program all buttons for all devices for what will make most sense for her.

Anyone know a credible place to look for decent hdtvs for gaming? Was wanting to get a tv in the range of 45" - 50", but wanted to make sure what I got doesn't have issues with input lag.

Have you tried this site?

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Since I haven't had time to game for the last 5 yrs or so, I haven't spent much time keeping up to date on this... It's unfortunate that manufacturers aren't more up front about this little bit of info.

• Like 1

The Channel Master DVR+ will be on sale for $175 from 6-11 AM pacific BF and CM.  There is a limit of three per account.