Best Buy announces Black Friday store hours

Brad

I'm surprised that we didn't see one of the big retailers start their sale Wednesday night.

Go from like 8pm Wednesday until 2am Thursday, and then open again at midnight or early Friday morning.

You'd let your employees have most of the day off, you'd beat your competitors with your starting time, and you could even offer 2 sets of doorbusters - one Wednesday night and one on Friday.

• Like 5

I do not see a backlash that TRU had.  Reason being is most of the people in line at BB are teens, college students, males and crazies like me.  Most of the people who shop at TRU are parents. 

I did not see this coming nor my contact at BB.  He told me this was made early this morning. 

I'm surprised that we didn't see one of the big retailers start their sale Wednesday night.

Go from like 8pm Wednesday until 2am Thursday, and then open again at midnight or early Friday morning.

You'd let your employees have most of the day off, you'd beat your competitors with your starting time, and you could even offer 2 sets of doorbusters - one Wednesday night and one on Friday.

Really that would be the best option! I know that I would rather have that then the stores open at 5, 6 or 8 pm on Thursday!

Ok, well, this news leaves me to ask a question. To all you HARDCORE Best Buy campers, what is it like to camp out at Best Buy when the store is still open? I've been lucky that every I've had to camp out at Best Buy they weren't open. I mean though, are customers coming up to you and asking you if you're crazy for camping so early? Do store employees come out and chat with you?

• Like 1

You are put on display like a caged animal.  I have been there as early as Saturday before Black Friday.

The customers will come up, talk to you and take your picture.  They will even call their friends and point at you.  You will be on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. 

As far as the employees are concerned they will come out, chat with you and hang with you.  As long as you do not disrupt the operations of the store they do not mind or care.  You are free marketing to the store.  

I see the lines forming as early was Sunday now.     

Ok, well, this news leaves me to ask a question. To all you HARDCORE Best Buy campers, what is it like to camp out at Best Buy when the store is still open? I've been lucky that every I've had to camp out at Best Buy they weren't open. I mean though, are customers coming up to you and asking you if you're crazy for camping so early? Do store employees come out and chat with you?

You get asked all sorts of stupid questions, why are you in line, what are you buying, (I usually tell them iPad's).

You have a-holes who mess with your tent if your inside it.

I usually don't have the employees interact with me, maybe a manager might come out and offer me the ad (seriously?).

At night its the best, because the monkeys come out to play and drive by with train horns.

The best parts, are you have bathrooms, Lol.  Other than that, the ability to stake out the store prior to closing as they are starting to setup is always good.  These times are stupid, out of hand.  I won't be going instore unless I have an issue getting anything online.  I didn't camp last year due to unneeded items, but this year no way due to this.  Earliest I ever did was Tuesday at midnight two years ago and I was first with my 3 friends.  Last year, I heard it was Tuesday evening for the first person.  This year it will be earlier as word spreads. 

Have to start taking days off from work and using your vacation up... gezz..

Edited by Klownicle

I do not see a backlash that TRU had.  Reason being is most of the people in line at BB are teens, college students, males and crazies like me.  Most of the people who shop at TRU are parents. 

I did not see this coming nor my contact at BB.  He told me this was made early this morning. 

We talked about this happening after You clued me in on it. In my area, the word on the street was a 6-8 PM. Even the eateries knew about it since Best Buy's meeting on tuesday! It was "Unofficial", so I put it out as a rumor.

• Like 1

I think the poster who mentioned TRU's backlash was referring to their FB page....a LOT of people posted on there how disappointed they are and many indicated a boycott...

Yes I know this.  Right now on BB FB page there are around 25 comments about the early opening.

On the TRU page there are thousands of postings.  When the TRU time broke they were getting over 100 responces on FB and Twiiter a minute. 

I think the poster who mentioned TRU's backlash was referring to their FB page....a LOT of people posted on there how disappointed they are and many indicated a boycott...

• Like 1

Trust me, many people post their frustrations online, only to shop anyway. The statistics don't lie, and last year's tally is the reason Best Buy must compete in this fashion.

• Like 1

You definitely have to put on a game face. You will get the most sincere people and people who mock you. I have seen it all. Keep in mind that this mindset comes from the media coverage that they receive on a nightly basis. I started getting heavy media coverage in 2010 and by 2011, they were waking us up with spot lights! We were featured on CNN, ABC, NBC, FOX, and all of their affiliates. I am still finding our videos on different websites who list them as their favorite. Like Klownicle said, you get people who will mess with you. I actually like the Train horn people. I should post a tidbit online that will give the first train horn drive-by who posts a video of us (showing our banner, complete with the Gottadeal endorsement) will get a free Tee shirt!

Well thank you all for the replies. Luckily in my area, I haven't had to line up DAYS ahead of time. I won't say exactly when I line up or when I plan to line up but let's say it isn't the like I'm lining up the Sunday or Monday before. i was mainly asking because if I am camping out at Best Buy again this year then it will be the first time I begin camping out while they're still open. i don't think my area will share in any experiences on the level that you guys have. Might get one of the local news channels to report in but that's about it.

• Like 1

Well thank you all for the replies. Luckily in my area, I haven't had to line up DAYS ahead of time. I won't say exactly when I line up or when I plan to line up but let's say it isn't the like I'm lining up the Sunday or Monday before. i was mainly asking because if I am camping out at Best Buy again this year then it will be the first time I begin camping out while they're still open. i don't think my area will share in any experiences on the level that you guys have. Might get one of the local news channels to report in but that's about it.

Let's agree that you should NEVER set up camp in broad daylight! This should be a huge hint to your continued success.

We talked about this happening after You clued me in on it. In my area, the word on the street was a 6-8 PM. Even the eateries knew about it since Best Buy's meeting on tuesday! It was "Unofficial", so I put it out as a rumor.

Yup, not surprised at all! I knew this was coming eventually but thought 10pm this year and 8 next.

Yup, not surprised at all! I knew this was coming eventually but thought 10pm this year and 8 next.

I do give credit to Bigjimslade for making me get out there and dig it up! (Chances are, he knew this all along, hehehe)Now we have to see if Best Buy will be late to the party due to a reprint of the ad....... or this was in the works the whole time.