Compaq V2312 @ Circuitcity.com

Mike

Starting 8/22, MSN has the 10% back on giftcard deal again. Circuitcity is giving away a free canon printer and free wireless G router with any laptop purchase.

Compaq V2312 (V2312US)

-14" BrightView Screen

-512mb

-60gb HD

-ATI X200

-dual layer DVD +/- RW

-AMD 64 Turion ML-28

Canon Printer (IP1600)

D-Link Router (DI524)

All of these together give you a total of $1089 which gives your gift card a total of $108.9. There are $310 in mail in rebates available. Pick up the $15 MS wireless mouse @ compusa and you got yourself a badass set up.

Double the memory with kingston KVR333SO512R 512mb. This adds another $75 to your total but another $7.50 to your giftcard and there is a $30 mail in rebate.

Be very careful with the MSN - Circuit City Giftcard "rebate" deals. I went this route when I bought a digital camera from Circuit City. After 8 weeks of waiting, their rebate center sent me a rejection letter stating that I didn't buy all of the items required (there was no such requirement in the rebate offer). I called them and they tried to tell me the same story on the phone. After reading them the details of the offer, I was placed on hold for nearly 10 minutes and finally told that that they had made a "keying error", that they were having a lot of trouble with the MSN related rebates, and that my gift card would arrive in 6-8 weeks. It finally did arrive --- nearly 4 months after the purchase. :splat:

I'd suggest you keep copies of everything you send in and track the dates as the months go by while you wait for your gift card!

dabuddha,

I found this V2312 vs 700m thread during a Google search.

If portability (small keyboard/LCD) and battery are important then go with the 700m.

Otherwise the V2312 might be more powerful, comes with more standard RAM, larger hard drive and a larger 14" display. Also a larger keyboard.

Tough choice. If you use it mostly indoors near an a/c outlet I'd probably buy this HP.

If the MSN deals works out for you, I'd go with the HP.

Like I said, if portability and battery life are important the Dell 700m wins. This sounds more like a mini-desktop replacement laptop that you're looking for?

I'm having problems finding the MSN deal :blush:

Hmmm you're right that I'm really not looking for a desktop replacement. I really want something light. But this thing weighs only 5.6 pounds (compared to my 8100 which weighs around 8-9 lbs). Plus I haven't seen a good 700m deal or I'd jump on it right away. And of course theres the 0% interest for 24 months at CC. But again, I'm weary of getting a extended warranty with Circuit City.

And of course I have to get permission from the woman :D