Which video game console to get?

jrdoa

We have two children (8 and soon-to-be 7 years old). We are trying to figure out which video game console to get for Xmas that best fits them.

The only video games they have currently are the Leapster and Didj. Supposedly, Grams and Papa are getting them each a DS for Xmas, so they'll have that. But we are looking at something bigger.

Any advice??

jrdoa -- I would lean towards recommending Wii as well, but you could arrange a "play date" with your family and a Wii-owning family that has kids that your kids are friends with...

Maybe you bring the pizza and they supply the party... Consider it a "trial run" and see what your kids think... You don't need to let your kids know that Santa is considering getting them a console.

Just a thought. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Yes/N1clever02HL1.gif

I also agree with the Wii I have 4 boys ages 13,11,8,and 6

My oldest son likes the xbox360 my 11 year old likes the xbox but plays the wii more then the x box. my 8 and 6 year old loves playing the wii. The wii has more kid type games.

Just a craaaazy thought but what about an older system (last gen)?

We have every game system except the PS3 and my DS5 prefers the PS2 over everything,lol. He is not a lazy child by far but does not like to jump around like a lunatic to play every single game,lmao. You can almost never sit down and play a Wii game. I think I would go with the PS2 if they are not dead set on the more expensive Wii that way you could get more games. Also with the Wii you will need to buy another remote ($40) & another nunchuck ($20). There are tons of great deals on Amazon.com for any games but the PS2 has a huge selection with lower prices since they are older.

DD13 prefers her DSi

DS14 prefers the 360

i think bye all means the wii is the best for your age group. i have bought wii and xbox 360 cause i have small kids and teenagers the xbox 360 in my opinion is for older kids and to be honest i dont care for most of the language on some of the games i watch what i buy for my kids and the wii has mostly all kid friendly games also the wifi is free on wii you pay for everything with 360 .wii always gets more usage than others in my house :) Edited by BabyBear24kGold
misspelled

Wii, hands down! Personally I think most of the games for 360 are too mature for 8 and 7 year olds. And there ARE games for the Wii that you just sit and play. Most of the sports games you have to jump around but most of the role playing games, ie Spyro or Lego Star Wars, you can sit and play. I think the Wii is way more versatile, IMHO! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
You guys are praising the wii, yet leaving out an important feature for the OP, which is that the wii, as is the 360, and PS3 backwards compatible, so you'll be able to play nintendo game cube games on them as well, which in this day and age can be very inexpensive. :)

We have every game system except the PS3 and my DS5 prefers the PS2 over everything,lol. He is not a lazy child by far but does not like to jump around like a lunatic to play every single game,lmao. You can almost never sit down and play a Wii game. I think I would go with the PS2 if they are not dead set on the more expensive Wii that way you could get more games. Also with the Wii you will need to buy another remote ($40) & another nunchuck ($20). There are tons of great deals on Amazon.com for any games but the PS2 has a huge selection with lower prices since they are older.

DD13 prefers her DSi

DS14 prefers the 360

My sons 7 and 9 prefer the PS2 as well especially for sports games like Madden 09 and baseball. They like their Wii and play it and like the games they have for it but not for football or baseball. My 23 year old has a wii and wants PS3 because there are certain games that are made for PS3.

The Wii has come down in price and you can get some good game deals if you watch for them. Right now Target has games buy 2 get 1 free. And there was a $10.00 off coupon in the link to coupons that someone posted in online deals. I'd think you can use the $10.00 off coupon too. Which should make the games around $30.00 each. But Jen makes a great point....you do need the extra controllers and those add up. So I guess it depends on how much want to spend.

Sam's Club also has good deals on certain games.