(UPDATE Post 12)Lowes Pellet Stove was $1299 IS $649.50 YMMV

krissy72

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=45894-76845-55-SHP10L&lpage=none

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/794909/794909551007md.jpg

This has good reviews. Search all locations in your area to find a store that has it for the 1/2 off price.

You can buy online and pick up at store or go to the B&M and buy it there.

Edited by krissy72

if you put in your zip code then if the item is avail it will be at the sale price

I think the sale is for in stock items only....

see if that works for you..

Yes, that is how it works. I have several Lowes stores within an hour and half from me. Only one store has it at the sale price. So try every zip in your area that you are willing to drive to.

I bought this same unit a few years ago and installed it in my Tahoe cabin. You need to have a seperate "chimney" a 4" double walled pipe works in CA. that exhausts out the wall or up through the roof. The unit will make you sweat it works so well.

We had a pellet stove install right before fall started. WE LOVE IT. Highly recommend it. We honestly have not had to turn our furnace on as yet. Its great.

Lowes also sells pellets. Menards just moved into the area and they are now the cheapest place to buy pellets. We got through a bag of pellets every day and a half (this month only because its been so cold). In November one bag lasted 2 1/2 days.

I would say on average you need 2 tons of pellets to make it through the winter.

Has anyone used one of these in combination with electric heat? I have been thinking of getting something like this but just don't know enough about it. It sounds like it would work good but I wanted to check about putting it into my duct work to help out with the electric heat that we have.

Just have to worry about getting it installed & finding pellets for it. Lowe's said they had a hard time getting in pellets this year.

Here is something else I just found

This may be good for a $300 tax credit for 2009 as a "Biomass Stove"

So, that would bring your cost down to $350, if it qualifies.

Biomass Fuel is any plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#c5

Edited by krissy72

Has anyone used one of these in combination with electric heat? I have been thinking of getting something like this but just don't know enough about it. It sounds like it would work good but I wanted to check about putting it into my duct work to help out with the electric heat that we have.

Just have to worry about getting it installed & finding pellets for it. Lowe's said they had a hard time getting in pellets this year.

if you are keeping the other heating source it should be separate exhaust. (not share a chimney or clean air intake)

pellets are not too bad to find... look ahead and it shouldn't be too bad - plus they'll be geared up for it.. this year a lot of people freaked about the cost of oil/gas and switched. so there were a LOT of new users.

Tractor supply, Lowes Home Depot, Fireplace shops, Menards, etc sells pellets. My advice is to buy your tons BEFORE the winter season. This is what we did and got a good deal from our local fireplace shop. They took off a percentage for buying from them plus free delivery. They weren't in demand in August. haha.

Our Pellet stove is exhausted through the wall. No chimney type exhaust for us. Came out cheaper by going through the wall. Saved us a lot of money. We have a Quadra Fire Pellet Stove.

how much are pellets?

Right now we buy a wood cutting permit from the state and cut our year's worth of firewood for our wood boiler for $20.

We have a natural fireplace that we run in the fall and spring when it's not very cold yet. It doesn't heat the whole house though. It would be nice to put the pellet stove in the other part of the house by the bedrooms for auxiliary heat.

I drove 200 miles round trip to get one today because the store only 45 miles away didn't have them marked down to the 649 price, and the associate at that lowes told me I could have price matched at the closer store as these are corporate mark downs not individual store markdowns, also all the pipes and pads are 50% off too....and we were lucky enough to get a ton of pellets for $265 ton delivered....now to see how this does heating my house. I am paying 500 dollars a month for my propane every month and we are always cold.... so the grand total with all piping and pellets just shy of $1000...half price of the one we almost bought last weekend for $1800, just the stove...Thanks OP!!!!

I drove 200 miles round trip to get one today because the store only 45 miles away didn't have them marked down to the 649 price, and the associate at that lowes told me I could have price matched at the closer store as these are corporate mark downs not individual store markdowns, also all the pipes and pads are 50% off too....and we were lucky enough to get a ton of pellets for $265 ton delivered....now to see how this does heating my house. I am paying 500 dollars a month for my propane every month and we are always cold.... so the grand total with all piping and pellets just shy of $1000...half price of the one we almost bought last weekend for $1800, just the stove...Thanks OP!!!!

Hope it helps keep you warm and lower your bills. Also, thanks for the tip and don't forget to check out post #12 for possibly, more of a discount.

BF has this exact same stove and loves it. Throws out a lot of heat and does a great job heating the house. We've actually found pellets at Sam's Club pretty cheap. He orders 2 tons from Lowe's every September.

If you get this stove, get a shop vac to use to clean out the ash.

Oh, and from November until this week, he used exactly 42 gallons of oil. :eyepoppin I'd buy one for my house if I were keeping it - my oil output is massive and I'm always cold!

Great deal on the pipes!! We went with coal. Pellet prices are up here & limited supply with building down, not as much sawdust. Some people use corn. Our stainless chimney alone was $1000 last year!

Yes piping for our stove this past year was 1000 but its tripled walled stainless steel from the stove right up through the roof line

You cannot EVER put another type of heat into your existing electric or gas duct work. My neighbors husband did this before he died and she had a fire this winter. The fire literally cooked her gas furnace. She was told she was lucky she wasn't dead. It caused creosote buildup in her chimney and it backed up into her furnace. Our propane fireplace ventless has saved us a lot in gas this winter, but it cannot be ran into our existing ductwork for this very reason.

Anyone know if this can be put in place of a gas fireplace insert?

In our basement we changed to a wood/coal insert, but our upstairs has a gas insert that was put in before we moved in the house. This would be great to have in place of that!