Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

Hi everyone! I'm new here, too, but this is such a great site! I got lucky and happened upon the big toy sale last year (thurs. jan 10th from my receipt), and i'm hoping i'll get lucky again this year!

I was at target yesterday and children's snow boots were 50% off. I got my daughter a pair for $7 and my son's were $14 :)

Hi everyone! I'm new here, too, but this is such a great site! I got lucky and happened upon the big toy sale last year (thurs. jan 10th from my receipt), and i'm hoping i'll get lucky again this year!

I was at target yesterday and children's snow boots were 50% off. I got my daughter a pair for $7 and my son's were $14 :)

Welcome, it's a great site, you will love it!

Where do you live, just wondering so we can have an idea, if the same stores will be around the same time this year.

I know our toys went from 30-75 and it just so happened I was off work that day due to a huge flood down by where I live so I was the first and only one there for a while :)

Okay great, I just remember watching this site for when it happened and knowing that the prices were 75%, didn't check what they were before they went 75%

Hi just wanted to say I am jealous. I missed most of the 75 off sale and all of the 90% sale due to illness and now I will problably miss the toy sale because I have to work. You are all very lucky. Sorry, I will stop feeling sorry for myself.:(

I think it all depends on the store. The ones around me went on Jan 4 last year, a friday. This year 3 went on January 5, a monday and 1 on January 6, a tuesday.

I guess it does depend on the region. :confused: I heard the one shift manager at target say that the ones who go XX% later than the other targets is because they are an "inventory ready" store, he said "we have more of a supply than other targets".

They don't add 15%. All the people above were sayint is if you take 75% off $100 you get to $25. Then if you take 15% off $25 (that's 15% plus 75% = 90% WRONG LOGIC!)

you get $21.25. But if you take 90% off $100 you get $10.

So that was just the point that one cannot say from 75% to 90% is just a matter of 15% diff. because it's NOT!

Don't worry about it I'm terrible at Math too!! Which surprises a lot of people cause I'm a darn good programmer! :) Oh..well..for me it's all about the logic part rather than the Math.

Just one hint about the math.... 75% off is ALWAYS 1/2 of 1/2. It's so easy to just quickly take 1/2 of the original price and then take it down another 1/2. To take 90% off, it's just easiest to look at the original price and move the decimal point 1 to the left. So, if something is originally priced $10.99 and it's 90% off, it would cost you $1.09. It is so much faster to just calculate that way rather than drag everything to the scanner. Of course, anyone should really know that 90% off is almost free and is ALWAYS a cheap deal! :)

I only say this cause I have come across some cashiers who go to price adjust something for me even to just 50% off and they look at me and say, "okay so how much would 50% off of $22 be?" I just kind of look at them like, "REALLY?"

I'm no math genius either, but after so many years of shopping Target's clearance, it is easier and quicker to just be able to calculate things in my head. The scanners are nice to verify if in fact something is on sale or you have no idea what the price is anyway!

Sorry -- off topic.... just thought I would throw those easy, easy ways to calculate while you are shopping!

### Summer Infant 7" Color Flat Screen Video Baby Monitor (DPCI: 030-04-0292) - 30% off $199.99

### Graco Sweetpeace Newborn Soothing Center (DPCI: 030-09-1679) - 30% off $179.99

### Tiddliwinks stuff (crib sheets, mobiles, crib skirts, etc) - 30% off

Just one hint about the math.... 75% off is ALWAYS 1/2 of 1/2. It's so easy to just quickly take 1/2 of the original price and then take it down another 1/2. To take 90% off, it's just easiest to look at the original price and move the decimal point 1 to the left. So, if something is originally priced $10.99 and it's 90% off, it would cost you $1.09. It is so much faster to just calculate that way rather than drag everything to the scanner. Of course, anyone should really know that 90% off is almost free and is ALWAYS a cheap deal! :)

I only say this cause I have come across some cashiers who go to price adjust something for me even to just 50% off and they look at me and say, "okay so how much would 50% off of $22 be?" I just kind of look at them like, "REALLY?"

I'm no math genius either, but after so many years of shopping Target's clearance, it is easier and quicker to just be able to calculate things in my head. The scanners are nice to verify if in fact something is on sale or you have no idea what the price is anyway!

Sorry -- off topic.... just thought I would throw those easy, easy ways to calculate while you are shopping!

This is how I figure it out in my head too!!:yup:

I seen pink Vtech cyber pockets, pink Clickstart computers, Star Wars Didj systems, Smart Cycles, Fur Real Pony not sure which one, holiday Barbies, on clearance for 30% off over the weekend and those are what I am watching for. I also saw Step2 play kitchens, and tool benches marked down 30% and at 75% off would be around $25 each if anyone needs those type of toys.

Thanks, I need to get the Pink Vtech Cyber & a Step2 Kitchen for my girls.:eyepoppin

###Archer Farms side dishes (mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, mixed veggies) .99 was 6.99 located in deli coolers - mine had 1/10 expiration dates

FYI- I bought the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole last week and they were awful. We took a couple of bites and threw them out. Glad we only spent $1 each on them.

Thanks!! It will definately come in handy. Cause I'm tired of looking for those scanners and I've seen way too many of them lately which don't even work.. OT: we have diff. ones too and the ones in my local Target are the worst... For the life of me I can't figure out how those work cause they only seem to scan half the time.

FYI- I bought the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole last week and they were awful. We took a couple of bites and threw them out. Glad we only spent $1 each on them.

We got the pumpkin & gingerbread muffin mixes for .99 and they were terrible!!! But I'm pretty sure that I've gotten AF tortilla chips and salsa before and they were good.

Welcome, it's a great site, you will love it!

Where do you live, just wondering so we can have an idea, if the same stores will be around the same time this year.

Sorry! I'm in columbia, MD. :) Don't think i've seen anyone mention any stores near here yet...

Is the Toy sale the same as Christmas stuff..you have to get there at the Opening on the day it goes 75% or else you are out of luck?

I don't really NEED anything..stocked up for both kids B-Days on Amazon Christmas sale but I would love to pick up some of those "Cars" for DS2 and maybe some legos or anything else that's educational and/or can be played during outings..

I finally managed to make it back to Target on lunch today, I hadn't been through the doors of the store since New Year's Day. Christmas was 90% off and had apparently been that way for a while, I managed to get a few small gift bags to use for ornaments, and found tape and gift wrap cutters in the regular aisles that scanned 90% off, so I stocked up on those. I also found a few boxes of Choxie chocolates from Christmas mixed in with the reg. candy so I got those as well. Lots of activity in the toy dept.

Saw but didn't get the Iconnect Alarm clocks marked 75% off reg 19.99 down to 4.98

One thing that bothered me... on the Christmas aisle they had 3 different sets of the angel stocking holders that the angels had no heads... why wouldn't they just pull those off the shelf for salvage?

Is the Toy sale the same as Christmas stuff..you have to get there at the Opening on the day it goes 75% or else you are out of luck?

I don't really NEED anything..stocked up for both kids B-Days on Amazon Christmas sale but I would love to pick up some of those "Cars" for DS2 and maybe some legos or anything else that's educational and/or can be played during outings..

You sound about as anxious as me for this sale to start!:yup:

I'm guessing you would need to be there as early as possible on that day.

We got the pumpkin & gingerbread muffin mixes for .99 and they were terrible!!! But I'm pretty sure that I've gotten AF tortilla chips and salsa before and they were good.

OH NO!! Now I'm scared to try them!! Maybe I can talk my hubby into being the guinea pig! As long as he doesn't hurl or grow a third eye . . .

I would imagine with any clearance sale, they put up the signs at the beginning of the day or overnight. Meaning you would have to be there as soon as they open or you're really out of luck. As always, don't forget to look up at the front if you go in the morning, yesterday when we finally finished our 90% seasonal clearance experience, as we were headed up to the checkout, we saw at least 15 carts of "put-backs" LOADED with stuff I didn't even see when Seasonal was 50% so we started throwing stuff in the carts before anybody else got to it. The employees were so nice, they didn't even stop us or say anything, i mean hell, we're the consumers buying up the stuff they're trying to get rid of. :D

Not really. Every toy needs to be stickered. It is handled just like any other clearance area in the store. Their toy sale used to be a pretty quiet experience believe it or not and many checkers were happy to take the gun to something you want if there aren't a lot of people around. However, it's my experience just in the past couple of years that many stores will actually shut down the aisle by blocking it off with shopping carts. Only the markdown team is allowed in their until they have completed what they are doing.

One thing to remember is that if you have your eye on something and there is multiples of that item laying around, once their scanning gun hits that item, it changes the price on all of them. So, if there are 5 Monopoly games spread around, all they have to do is scan 1 and the price will be reflected on the others. (Has to be the exact same thing, most of the time though.) So, if they shut down the aisle, you can check the endcaps. If there is something that you want, grab it cause there may be another one in the aisle they are marking and you can have it for the marked down price. HOWEVER, if there ISN'T another one, you will have to get yours scanned.

For me personally, I have more luck going at around 9 or 10 a.m. That is most often when the markdown teams get their stuff together and get going. It's been rare, although it has happened, that they are marking stuff right at 8 a.m. Usually they do morning huddles, etc. and just need time to get their stuff together. Plus, in the past couple years, I've found the pricers less willing to take time to sticker stuff for me. They tend to get a bit crabby about it now and will tell you that they just have to go in order. (Which is true or they would never have a moments piece. If there aren't a lot of shoppers though, you may have some luck with that.)

HTH!

You sound about as anxious as me for this sale to start!:yup:

I'm guessing you would need to be there as early as possible on that day.

I'm already going through shopping withdrawl :(. The Christmas stuff is pretty much gone now (not that I was even able to find that much..) and we also had a mini ice storm overnight so there really was no reason for me to get out this morning. This ISN'T FUN..

I wish they started clearances at night (or some random time like middle of the day) than I would have a reason to go somewhere when hubby gets off work tonight!

I would imagine with any clearance sale, they put up the signs at the beginning of the day or overnight. Meaning you would have to be there as soon as they open or you're really out of luck. As always, don't forget to look up at the front if you go in the morning, yesterday when we finally finished our 90% seasonal clearance experience, as we were headed up to the checkout, we saw at least 15 carts of "put-backs" LOADED with stuff I didn't even see when Seasonal was 50% so we started throwing stuff in the carts before anybody else got to it. The employees were so nice, they didn't even stop us or say anything, i mean hell, we're the consumers buying up the stuff they're trying to get rid of. :D

My ds1 is not an early riser - this is the one time it is a bad things too :) We usually sleep in until 9, so the earliest I can get out of the house is 10. Sure hope I don't miss it all!! One would hope I would have an advantage being a SAHM over all those folks who are working, but it doesn't seem to be the case..

Not really. Every toy needs to be stickered. It is handled just like any other clearance area in the store. Their toy sale used to be a pretty quiet experience believe it or not and many checkers were happy to take the gun to something you want if there aren't a lot of people around. However, it's my experience just in the past couple of years that many stores will actually shut down the aisle by blocking it off with shopping carts. Only the markdown team is allowed in their until they have completed what they are doing.

One thing to remember is that if you have your eye on something and there is multiples of that item laying around, once their scanning gun hits that item, it changes the price on all of them. So, if there are 5 Monopoly games spread around, all they have to do is scan 1 and the price will be reflected on the others. (Has to be the exact same thing, most of the time though.) So, if they shut down the aisle, you can check the endcaps. If there is something that you want, grab it cause there may be another one in the aisle they are marking and you can have it for the marked down price. HOWEVER, if there ISN'T another one, you will have to get yours scanned.

For me personally, I have more luck going at around 9 or 10 a.m. That is most often when the markdown teams get their stuff together and get going. It's been rare, although it has happened, that they are marking stuff right at 8 a.m. Usually they do morning huddles, etc. and just need time to get their stuff together. Plus, in the past couple years, I've found the pricers less willing to take time to sticker stuff for me. They tend to get a bit crabby about it now and will tell you that they just have to go in order. (Which is true or they would never have a moments piece. If there aren't a lot of shoppers though, you may have some luck with that.)

HTH!

You've given me hope!!! 10 is the time I'm hoping to get there, NOW if I can only figure out which day to go.. The one Target furthest from me started 90% Christmas two days earlier (Sun) then the other two Targets. They've seem to have Toys marked down to 50% for a couple of weeks now too so they would be my 1st choice. They actually seem to have the most stock too as the one closest to me is kind of tiny and almost out of everything..

Is anyone going to try calling their Targets to find out if the sale has started??

Also do they always scan everything in one day (hopefully a couple of hrs. time frame?) or can they mark something down in the evening and then maybe the next day?? Just trying to understand whether I need to plan more than one outing..