holiday candy making

dealluvr

I just took 2 days off of work to back. I have tons of recipes, here's a couple of easy favorites:

Fast/Simple Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup butter

1 cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanillia

16 oz (2 cups) powdered sugar

Put butter and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl, microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well, microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir well again, add in vanilla and sugar. Put into an 8x8 dish that's been lined with clear wrap/aluminmum foil/parchment paper (anything). Refridgerate for about a half hour and cut into 1 inch peices.

Butterscotch haystacks

1 bag butterscotch chips

1 can chow mein

1/2 cup - 3/4 cups peanuts

Melt chips in the microwave and mix in the other stuff. Scoop tablespoon size drops onto wax paper (or whatever) and refridgerate until set.

I'll have to give these a try.

Gotta run to the store anyways. :tongue1:

Okay, I made them both.

Those haystacks are tough to stir. lol

Edited by dmmiller

I like the old tried and true Fluff Fudge (the recipe is on the back of the fluff jar)

If I want butterscotch I just use butterscotch chips, pb, pb chips etc, etc, mint chips=mint fudge

I always get lots of compliments on it.

I made the Saltine candy yesterday and the people I work with all asked for the recipe :yup:

I like the old tried and true Fluff Fudge (the recipe is on the back of the fluff jar)

If I want butterscotch I just use butterscotch chips, pb, pb chips etc, etc, mint chips=mint fudge

I always get lots of compliments on it.

I made the Saltine candy yesterday and the people I work with all asked for the recipe :yup:

Saltine candy?Do tell plez.

This is the recipe I use for caramel, I got it from allrecipes.com

1 cup butter or margarine

1 pound light brown sugar

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup light corn syrup

1 pinch salt

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Cook for 2 minutes at that temperature. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.

Meanwhile, butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. When the caramel is ready, pour into the buttered pan. Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Remove from the pan and cut into squares using scissors. Wrap individual pieces in waxed paper or cellophane.

Saltine candy?Do tell plez.

Very easy and Very good..tastes like a heath bar to me.

Saltine Candy

1 sleeve of saltines (cannot be Ritz)

2 sticks of real butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1 12oz bag Choc chips

Heat oven to 400 degrees

Cover a foil covered cookie sheet with the saltines

Melt together 2 sticks butter and the brown sugar..boil for 3 minutes..stir frequently

Pour mixture over saltines. Put in oven for 7 minutes then remove. Pour bag of choc chips over the entire cookie sheet, let melt and spread to cover. Put in refrigerator over night

and then the next day break up the candy into pieces and enjoy :P

This is the recipe I use for caramel, I got it from allrecipes.com

1 cup butter or margarine

1 pound light brown sugar

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup light corn syrup

1 pinch salt

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Cook for 2 minutes at that temperature. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.

Meanwhile, butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. When the caramel is ready, pour into the buttered pan. Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Remove from the pan and cut into squares using scissors. Wrap individual pieces in waxed paper or cellophane.

Thank you!!

Saturday is our yearly day to do candy My best friend and I have been doing it for about 10 years now we started out just doing cookies and now we like to do just the candy!We do coconut balls,Buckeyes oreo balls peanut brittle and so on it takes us all day and night to just to do the balls they are so time consuming !! But we have so much fun talking and laughing all day!

Saturday is our yearly day to do candy My best friend and I have been doing it for about 10 years now we started out just doing cookies and now we like to do just the candy!We do coconut balls,Buckeyes oreo balls peanut brittle and so on it takes us all day and night to just to do the balls they are so time consuming !! But we have so much fun talking and laughing all day!

Oreo balls.. what are those? Someone brought this *I think* into work today and they were sooo good. She said she crushed up oreos and mixed it with cream cheese and then rolled into balls and dipped into chocolate. Is this the same thing? If so, can you post the quantities and any tips on how to dip into choc.

Thanks

I love Oreo balls. This is the recipe that I use... hth

OREO BALLS

1 pkg. Oreos

1 8-oz pkg. cream cheese

1 pkg. almond bark

Twist Oreos and take apart.

Scrape cream from cookies and put into large bowl. Add cream cheese to bowl and cream together.

Put remainder of cookies into a Ziploc and seal. Use a rolling pin to finely crush.

Add finely crushed cookies to the creamed mixture and stir.

Roll into 1-inch balls and chill.

Melt almond bark.

Dip cookie balls into almond bark and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.

Let set and enjoy!

Makes about 3-4 dozen.

I will be making oreo balls, peanut butter balls, peppermint bark, cashew bark, peanut butter fudge, choc covered pretzels, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, haystacks, choc. covered cherries and I'm sure my son will have a few more things to add to the list.. tommorrow. Our open house is Sunday.. lol. I'm tired just thinking about it.

I can't wait to begin making all kinds of Christmas goodies these next few days. The one I always look forward to making is Chocolate-Peanut Butter Balls...

2 sticks butter

1 Box 4X powdered sugar

2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1 c. chopped nuts (personally, I like pecans)

1 c. coconut

1/2 c. peanut butter

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all of the above ingredients and make into marble sized balls.

Then melt these two things on low heat:

6 oz. chocolate chips

1/2 stick parafin wax

Dip the balls into the mixture and set on wax paper until chocolate hardens.

I LOVE these!

Thanks to everyone for posting all of these great recipes. If I had the money and time I'd like to try all of them. :D

after reading this thread I have one question - how do I get you all to send me some of this goodness?

Ditto! I feel like a Grinch as I have done no candy or really any cookies (my kids have done some and promptly eaten them all!). I think Santa is going to be stuck with some Ramen noodles for Christmas....:no:

Okay, so far today, I've made PB fudge, haystacks, Choc covered pretzels, White chocolate-mint ritzs, and PB blossums^.

Still have to make cut-out sugar cookies, but they are sooo time consuming.

And I'm going to do 7-layer cookies tonight.

what are 7 layer cookies

Today I made vanilla fudge, maple pecan fudge, chocolate fudge, and chocolate walnut fudge. Lots more on tap for tomorrow! Everyone requests my fudge for gifts. I make it the old fashioned way with nothing but butter, milk, salt, and sugar. Nothing set up real well today, it's been pouring rain, so it's postponed until tomorrow.