Ups grrrrrrr

jcarr492

I still don't see how anyone could prove that a UPS man would do such a thing. Honestly, it just seems really ridiculous that someone who delivers packages for a living one do this with one box from Amazon and risk losing his job. I absolutely don't think the UPS man did this. I think there is another person who is being overlooked. Maybe someone is going around town doing it? People in hard times result to desperate measures.

I wasn't there when he came into work so I didn't see how he acted but leaving packages is not unusual at all and signing for packages? Please! I'd have to be here all day every day. Some days more poor UPS man has to make 3 trips to my door with my packages. No way am I signing for all those things.

I love my UPS man. I make him cookies because he deserves them. :)

I understand why you would be upset by him coming into your work. However, I think it's very wrong for all of these other people to be getting involved in this situation.

To call the mayor?! Please! I would think that any mayor in his right mind would think twice about making any calls over a matter such as this in an official capacity. It would be construed as an abuse of power.

I buy hundreds....ok more like thousands of dollars of items online annually and I have NEVER had ANYTHING negative happen with UPS. Of course this is a lot bigger city than 1900 people so maybe it's a difference in the mentalities of where people live.

You did not read my post correctly. NO ONE CALLED the mayor. The mayor is also Lori's(my boss) husband..and he is ALSO THE OWNER OF THE CAFE with her. So he has EVERY RIGHT as the owner of the cafe to step in. Are you telling me that as the owner of the cafe, he has no right to contact the supervisor of the ups driver and report that his driver came in to HIS place of business and harrassed his employee? I hope not.

I misread that the business owner IS the mayor. To me, since this is the case, it would even moreso be an abuse of power.

Just how? He is the owner of the business. Its not like he's going to call up ups and say, "hello...this is Mayor so and so, I'm calling in to report a complaint......" I think he is a little smarter than that. And he only said he would be able to talk to the driver when he comes in to the office for a pick up. Not like he's on a tractor driving all over our little town trying to hunt the ups driver down. He is doing what he feels he needs to do to defend his employees...no different than if the ups driver came into city hall and harrassed his secretary or the bill collector in water department inside of city hall...They all work int he same building and his secretary is his employee.

I still don't see how anyone could prove that a UPS man would do such a thing. Honestly, it just seems really ridiculous that someone who delivers packages for a living one do this with one box from Amazon and risk losing his job. I absolutely don't think the UPS man did this. I think there is another person who is being overlooked. Maybe someone is going around town doing it? People in hard times result to desperate measures.

I wasn't there when he came into work so I didn't see how he acted but leaving packages is not unusual at all and signing for packages? Please! I'd have to be here all day every day. Some days more poor UPS man has to make 3 trips to my door with my packages. No way am I signing for all those things.

I love my UPS man. I make him cookies because he deserves them. :)

I don't believe he did it either. Thats why I didn't call accusing anyone of anything. I only called to let them know where and how and the condition of the package. I was honest and told them nothing was missing. I didn't know it was my regular driver that delivered it as we had a temp deliver a package last week to us at 7pm. I trust our regular ups driver. My complaint now is how he reacted to the situation and just came in and was very abrupt, loud, and very rude to me in front of another employee and other customers. There was no reason for him to act this way in public. When he came in all he had to say was, "mrs. carrasco, may I have a word with you? I just wanted to let you know that I left your package on the porch, not under it and I have no idea what happend to the package. But maybe it would be a good idea for someone to sign for packages from now on." But instead, he decided he was ticked and came in still mad and made sure he was going to put me in my place. It makes me wonder if the supervisor told him I made an accusation that they opened my package or what. I never said anything remotely close to that...for the mere fact that I didn't know WHO may have done it. I'm not going to accuse anyone when I don't know. But I will bring it to someone's attention of whats going on.

I am shocked.... and I deal with UPS on a daily basis as I am a shipping manager with daily pick ups and deliveries at work... well and daily amazon deliveries at home lately :D

I work on the "training" route as we are very close to the center. ONE time in 15 1/2 years I have gotten a driver that was rude... ONE.. .and he wasn't yelling or anything, just rude and was having a bad day. I complained.. it was early in my career in shipping and I didn't know the standards and conditions those drivers work in....

First... the guy for saying one rude thing was disciplined... lost pay.. lost some kind of benefit/privilege/time off something... well he was angry, and rightly so... that was too much punishment for just being in a bad mood. He came and apologized to me. I appreciated it and when I got my morning delivery driver the next day I said "wow, he apologized, that meant so much"... well the guy got in more trouble cause he was told to not bring it up and he was written up for bringing it up and he got switched to a crappy route that paid less.

Now, I know that if it's a bad day for a driver I will wait till the next day... but I haven't had that issue again. Ever... and our drivers are so friendly and professional and honestly I don't think any UPS driver would risk his route to open or deliver an opened package. And they don't have time to run out, esp if you are outside of town, to keep hoping to find you home for redelivery.

It's been proven that during recessions/Christmas/etc that people do LOOK for boxes that UPS drivers drop off, sometimes even follow their routes. I am surprised whoever opened it put it under the porch so they must have been close by when someone came home or the driver went back down the road cause at least they got it someplace safe.

And this time of year.... too many packages going out and businesses tape too quickly. Tape pulls up on it's own.. and once it's started even a small child can pull it off... esp Amazon tape... my 4 year old granddaughter can open them like nobody's business and she learned that the Amazon boxes have toys and to go after them... so now I have to hide them better.....

If the driver yelled then he was probably as frustrated for getting called on the carpet for something he didn't do as you were at finding your things dirty and opened...

I saw drop it unless it happens again... times are tough, people have short tempers due to holiday stress... delivering UPS has to stink this time of year... I think I should make our drivers at work some cookies too.... good idea Jen....

OH... and maybe for the lady that delivers to my house? She's a sweetie.... even though we are at the end of her route... I told the hubby to flirt with her to get an earlier delivery time.... but either he didn't try it or she was just too professional... lol

Wow, I was thinking of reporting our UPS driver until reading your post. After receiving 3 really battered up packages (one was left on our doorstep and they didn't even ring the bell). It wasn't listed to be delivered till the next day so I didn't even check, and it rained allllll night! It was a big box with a lot of dolls in it from Amazon and they were all wet as the box was mush and not even sealed up correctly. Then the next day they brought me the Melissa and Doug easel and it had sat in water all day in the truck or something and again, mush. Today it was a box that had been retaped and beat all to heck....a bicycle I'd ordered. They just dropped it, knocked on my door and ran.

My dad works for UPS freight, so I know they get paid well for this job, this driver has been our UPS delivery person for 2 years and last year, was great, we even gave her a Christmas present because she went out of her way to deliver things 'hidden' from the kids. This year I have been really really disappointed, but seeing how your UPS guy went 'postal' I think I'll hold off on calling in on ours LOL.

We did put a big sign on the door to ring the bell for package deliveries and also put some big black trash bags out when it rains so they can protect things if we're not here. Our USPS guy still amazes me though...he goes out of his way to hide things, or puts them in our shed or pool house and leaves us a note. He's great, and he'll still be getting a Christmas gift LOL

I completely agree that people have bad days and if they have a little bit of attitude or are a little rude that can be forgiven. I know the delivery people work hard, the UPS truck that comes by my house (almost everyday lately) has two delivery people on it to get the deliveries done faster I assume. I see them running around like madmen outside. However, no one should be tracked down at their workplace and laid into. No one. It was a passing dirty look while he delivered a package, it was deliberate and that is inexcusable in my opinion.

Wow, I was thinking of reporting our UPS driver until reading your post. After receiving 3 really battered up packages (one was left on our doorstep and they didn't even ring the bell). It wasn't listed to be delivered till the next day so I didn't even check, and it rained allllll night! It was a big box with a lot of dolls in it from Amazon and they were all wet as the box was mush and not even sealed up correctly. Then the next day they brought me the Melissa and Doug easel and it had sat in water all day in the truck or something and again, mush. Today it was a box that had been retaped and beat all to heck....a bicycle I'd ordered. They just dropped it, knocked on my door and ran.

My dad works for UPS freight, so I know they get paid well for this job, this driver has been our UPS delivery person for 2 years and last year, was great, we even gave her a Christmas present because she went out of her way to deliver things 'hidden' from the kids. This year I have been really really disappointed, but seeing how your UPS guy went 'postal' I think I'll hold off on calling in on ours LOL.

We did put a big sign on the door to ring the bell for package deliveries and also put some big black trash bags out when it rains so they can protect things if we're not here. Our USPS guy still amazes me though...he goes out of his way to hide things, or puts them in our shed or pool house and leaves us a note. He's great, and he'll still be getting a Christmas gift LOL

what you actually need/should do is report it to the company that shipped them... they paid the UPS system to pick up and deliver... and they can file damage reports, late arrival claims, etc.... and if something is ruined/damaged/etc they will replace and file with UPS for damages.. if they feel UPS is at fault they will instruct you to keep all packaging for 5 business days and may or may send a UPS inspector to look at it...

This keeps you from complaining on the driver and the UPS inspection team figures out which warehouse, truck, etc needs fixed/reprimanded... much better solution ...

Maybe you should have just dropped it, and perhaps even call the UPS driver and apologized to him. Sounds like he may be kind of psycho, and who knows what he will do next, especially if he ends up losing his job over this incident. This may be a situation where you win the battle, but lose the war.

I'm now home from work. When I got there this morning, I gave Lori the number to the supervisor and she called her husband. She told me Clinton(her husband) told us not to worry about it, because he was going to handle it. See....that delivery guy picked the WRONG business to walk in to yesterday in a bad mood...Clinton owns the cafe and is also the mayor of our town too. So in other words, the mayor is contacting the supervisor today as the business owner and he is also going to speak to the driver whenever he either makes a deliver or a pickup at his office at city hall. They don't want me to call the supervisor myself, they want to handle it. Which is okay by me. Clinton said he was going to inform the supervisor that the guy has no business stepping foot in the cafe from now on unless its to make a delivery..and ONLY for a delivery, otherwise, he is not welcome there and harrassment will not be tolerated in the future.

I'm still leery about the guy now...so I think from now on, I'm only shipping UPS packages to my mothers house across town or to the cafe only where I have people with me. Sad that it comes to this.

This is what you wrote in your post. You are the one who stated that it would be the 'mayor' calling. If you are not hoping that he will call in his capacity as the mayor of the town in which you live why would you even bring it up?

Absolutely as a business owner he has a right to call and complain. But somehow I wouldn't want my boss to take care of a battle which should be mine and is of a personal nature.

Just how? He is the owner of the business. Its not like he's going to call up ups and say, "hello...this is Mayor so and so, I'm calling in to report a complaint......" I think he is a little smarter than that. And he only said he would be able to talk to the driver when he comes in to the office for a pick up. Not like he's on a tractor driving all over our little town trying to hunt the ups driver down. He is doing what he feels he needs to do to defend his employees...no different than if the ups driver came into city hall and harrassed his secretary or the bill collector in water department inside of city hall...They all work int he same building and his secretary is his employee.

Once again, I was responding based on the information YOU posted. I didn't pull this out of the air. Now you are saying that he told you something different that what you stated in previous posts.

The difference is that if the driver went to City Hall, he could use his capacity as the mayor. As a private business owner calling, it would not be prudent for him to do mention he is the mayor and can and should be construed as an abuse of power.

Which is it?

Edited by afrey66

This is what you wrote in your post. You are the one who stated that it would be the 'mayor' calling. If you are not hoping that he will call in his capacity as the mayor of the town in which you live why would you even bring it up?

Absolutely as a business owner he has a right to call and complain. But somehow I wouldn't want my boss to take care of a battle which should be mine and is of a personal nature.

Yes, I said the mayor is calling in "as the business owner"...not as the mayor. So maybe I shouldn't have said he is the mayor..I'm sorry..but thats what he is, he was the mayor first and a business owner next.

You know...I'm tired. You make me tired I even come here to tell my experience and what I'm going thru. You come onto these threads..and this isn't the first time you've come into a thread I've started and just seem so....I don't know. Sometimes people come here so they can write down their experiences in the hopes of getting it off their chest to feel better and maybe someone will just say, I'm sorry you had to go thru that. Period. I just have to ask..why is it that you feel the need to always push the needle in a little deeper? I'm not angry with UPS..I'm not angry with the driver...I will say I'm a scared becuase of the way I was approached in my workplace and laid in to like he did...but once again, you decide to post and make one feel like they are in the wrong for even going thru what they did or feeling the way they do. Thanks.

Folks...I won't be posting on this anymore. I just wanted a little support and friends that could understand what happened and pat me on the back and say, it will be okay and the way he handled it was wrong. Thanks to those who did...I appreciate your support and just "listening" with your reading is helpful to me.

Thanks Afrey for helping me put an end to my replies/postings on this topic. I'm sorry I started it.

Please don't stop posting!!! I just found your thread and I feel so badly for you :( I'm so sorry you've had to go (still going) through this! I also think that having someone else "take care of you" is a good idea here since the guy is psychotic. I also agree that a police report will be your next step (maybe even a retraining order in the future to protect your family). I think you did the right thing by calling UPS and reporting the condition of your package! I would've been upset too given its condition (and you didnt accuse, you just notified). I think letting his harrassment slide is the WRONG idea and i'm relieved that you didn't...there is NO EXCUSE for that behavior and letting it slide is telling him that he intimidated you and can treat you any way he feels like. Please keep posting so I can find out how this develops, and hang in there!!!

I understand Jcarr. I wouldn't want to go through having a grown man that knows where I live and work come into my work and yell at me!! That would be so scary! I don't care who the business owner is or what 'powers' he uses, he needs to deal with that guy! The guy obviously has issues! I'd be tempted to get a restraining order if I was you and I definitely wouldn't want to answer the door to sign for a package!! The UPS guy is lucky he didn't have to deal with me, I wouldn't have been so nice or polite,lol. I'm sorry you had to go through that!

I think she has a valid complaint and since the incident took place at a business the Mayor owns, it is within his right to call the UPS supervisor. The UPS driver should be moved to a different route.

Our UPS driver always hides packages behind our gate - I think it is nice that he takes the time to ensure the package won't be stolen - but it took me a while to figure out his hiding place, I wish he would have left me note under the door!

I agree with all the above people. Please continue, I have been reading this every time I get on here. I think Affrey 66 is saying horrible things. I would have done all the things you did to report this abuse and more. Affrey 66 is sounding mean and hateful and I would ask her to stop posting. That type of attitude does not belong here. Something obviously did happen to the package and the ups man was not blamed, just informed. He was way oyt of line to go in to a place of business and blow up. He should be fired for this action. Keep up the support those of you who are supportive and Affrey 66 go back to where you come from.

I'm NOT saying he doesn't have a right to call. As a business owner, most definitely he has a right to call. I'm saying he doesn't have a right to call in his official capacity as Mayor. In her previous posts, she made it appear that since he's the mayor he was going to contact the UPS supervisor in his mayoral capacity. That is not acceptable.

I agree with all the above people. Please continue, I have been reading this every time I get on here. I think Affrey 66 is saying horrible things. I would have done all the things you did to report this abuse and more. Affrey 66 is sounding mean and hateful and I would ask her to stop posting. That type of attitude does not belong here. Something obviously did happen to the package and the ups man was not blamed, just informed. He was way oyt of line to go in to a place of business and blow up. He should be fired for this action. Keep up the support those of you who are supportive and Affrey 66 go back to where you come from.

Peppysfireball, I have been a member of GD for 2 years now. With 2500+ posts, I don't plan on going anywhere (unless Brad puts me in timeout :P). If you don't like what I write, skip over it.

I am not intending to sound mean and hateful. Yes, the UPS man was spoken to. That is obvious from JCarr's earlier posts. I agree he shouldn't have gone into her place of business. However, I also know there are two sides to every story and I would be interested in the others side to this. I would venture to guess that this UPS driver (any for that matter) would not risk losing their job over a package. And if that was the intent, why on earth would the driver take the trouble to deliver it, untape it and then hide it under the porch?? To any reasonable person, that makes no sense whatsoever.

JCarr, I'm sorry if you feel I'm 'picking' on you nor am I trying to sound mean or hateful. That is NOT my intent nor my desire. I do not have the time or inclination to single out people on here or anywhere else. However, when someone posts on here, I do state my opinion as others do. I don't write my opinions in hopes of gaining approval from others. I write them because this is my perspective and perception of the situation. If someone doesn't agree, then pass over it.

If someone is a business owner and happens to hold an 'official' position in the community, it is completely unacceptable for that individual to use that official position to have someone reprimanded, fired or any other disciplinary action. That is a gross abuse of power.

I probably wouldn't have even bother to call , but thats just me. OP has the right to do what she felt was necessary. I do think that this has turned into a big spectacle that is way over the top now. At this point I would just drop it. If you keep pushing the issue, somebody could potentially get hurt. You don't know this man well enough to know what he is capable of, especially if he did loose his job. I don't think trying to win the argument over one package is not worth it. Edited by booga12345

I'm sorry that happened to you jcarr, but it does sound VERY odd because from my experience with UPS...I've had nothing but all positives.

The fact remains that SOMEONE opened the box...but there is no way to prove who.

TO me....as long as my stuff was still there (in the box), I'd let it go....but that is just me??

I can see why he was so upset...if he really had nothing to do with it.

But I also am surprised that he'd come and get so upset...but if he's a temp...I suppose then what does he have to lose? 2 more weeks of TEMP work?

Merry Christmas to you, and keep on postin! :)

Guest JustMeDiana

I was wondering where another package was that was supposed to be delivered yesterday was at. I got online to amazon and checked my account and tracked the package and it showed it was delivered here yesterday at 10:40am to "front door". Hmmmmm. So I go check AGAIN. Still no package. I call my mother in law cause sometimes they deliver to her house and vice versa. Nope. Still puzzled, I go outside BAREFOOTED in this cold weather. I go down the steps and look under my porch...and theres my package. UNDLER MY PORCH..not at my front door. And worse...the damn thing is OPEN. Not just slightly..I mean the packaging tape was pulled completely off and the boxed was fully opened and you could tell they must not have like what was inside and tossed it under my porch. It was there all night...it had leaves in it, some dirt, and even a daddy long legs was stuck to the tape laying on the side. This just pisses me off to no end. UPS hires extra help for the holidays and now their resorting to opening packages???? I know it wasn't Josh cause when me and the kids got home from my job yesterday...me and josh went out on the porch to look if it arrived and he's not strong enough to peel the packaging tape and PULL it completely off the box. So how do you file a complaint to UPS???

This is just one day.....

I have had many packages delivered by UPS... and a couple have been a little beat up... but the continents on the inside have been just fine.... I find it hard to believe that a UPS driver would deliberately put it had leaves in it, some dirt, and even a daddy long legs was stuck to the tape laying on the side... Did you ever stop and think that maybe the weather was bad and he was doing you a favor and put the box under the porch out of the weather and some dirt and leaves blew in over night? Hmmmm

My UPS drivers are wonderful even when the weather is rainy they wrap my packages in plastic :D... they always knock... and if a signature is required they stay until I get to the door... just like yesterday... but it was FedEx nice guy 7:30 pm last night I got a knock on my door my new Dell laptop arrived I had to sign for it.... I thanked him... Wow that was late don't you think he might wont to be home with his family at that time of the evening...:yup:

Over the summer my son order a custom holster for his gun... he is a Police Officer.... he got on line and they said it was delivered by UPS.... but nothing was on his front porch... he lives way out in the country... he called UPS... the UPS guy was really nice he told my son that he put in it the open garage so no one would get it and it was out of the weather... Wow we both thought that was really nice...

I'm still pretty upset over it. My boss..who is also my friend wants me to bring in the phone number the supervisor called from off my home phone caller id so she can call him tomorrow and report him. She is pretty mad that he even came in to the cafe and was as rude as he was. You know..it would have been so different if he asked to talk to me for a moment..TALK to me...but he didn't...he was a man on a mission and mad about it all I guess. But I want to know...if he came home and couldn't find a package HE was waiting for for two days..then found it UNDER his porch, opened, dirty, and whatnot...wouldn't he call UPS or the post office or something to give them a notice of his package's condition and where it was found? I mean...thats why UPS insures their packages right??? AND I was honest that nothing was missing out of the box...I could just as easily lied and said a 40.00 doll was missing from the box. I was honest...I was polite...and I wasn't accusing him of attempting theft. I just found it really odd to find my package under my porch totally opened and sitting under there for two days. Since there wasn't really anyone to point at here...I thought I did the right thing calling the 800 number.

This bugs me here you say two days.....

That kind of post will very quickly earn you a permanent vacation on here. This is your final warning.

And since this thread has gotten out of control and others are now reporting posts for the mods to deal with, I'm closing it. Everyone has stated their opinion and nothing good can come from keeping it open.