Hostess Gifts?

cleverbffool

My nephew 18 needs ideas for a hostess gift to give to his friends parents for their Christmas party.

Of course I said wine then I realized he was only 18 (a little inapproaite) he nixed the candle idea so I am at a loss, I said a ornaments he said no because they have a specific themed tree.

The best I have as an idea is a small trio of Lenox Holiday vases.

When I take a hostess gift I try to make it personal to the person whose home where I will be a guest.

I have taken a set of crystal goblets,

a small basket with different teas, a tea cup and tea strainer,

a basket with gourmet coffee, mugs and some of those chocolate covered spoons,

a small basket with a dvd, microwave popcorn & boxes of "show" candy (these are available at the Dollar Tree),

a holiday music box,

a cd of holiday music wrapped in a pretty box (this would be good for an 18 yr old to give)

I'm sure they will appreciate his thoughtfulness no matter what he brings.

He's only 18 and probably doesn't know these folks enough for a personal type thing. I always think the best thing anyone can bring is soda-- a couple 12 packs -or several 2 liters. DOens't cost a lot and helps the party in case they run short. I once had a friend bring soda and milk-- which seemed odd, but by the end of the night-- yup. we had opened that gallon!

We always take a nice box of candy (See's or Godiva), a poinsettia/holiday bouquet or a coffee gift from Starbucks (they usually have a couple of pounds in a nice box). We try to make it consummable, since you can't always guess someone else's taste.

wow 18 and he is asking this question? What a good kid!

I'd say not to spend a whole lot - maybe a Christmas themed salt & pepper shaker, holiday soap set, Christmas hand towels or one of the family themed baskets someone mentioned.

I'd feel really weird if an 18 year old showed up at my house with a really expensive gift. I'm sure the fact that he thought enough to bring something for the hostess is enough. I'm sure my 17 year wouldn't have thought of that!

Thanks for all your suggestions

He didnt want to bring anything to be consumed that night because I just found out that the party is being catered (im assuming this friend's family is a little moneyed)

He really liked the starbucks coffee basket idea, his friends family is apparently caffeine junkies like myself.

Sneakers- The milk incident happened to me as well, I didnt realize I used all of it up in cooking so there was none for coffee or tea for dessert but one of my guests brought milk, its ESP.

AndreaInNC- yeah only 18, my sister knows how to raise her kids right, when he spent the summer at the same friends shore house he sent a plant as a thank you... hes a good kid.