Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27955316/

No news about whether or not Wal-Mart is going to be charged as well, but at least the police are trying to figure out just who trampled this poor man to death.

This is the official Walmart statement on it:

<<UPDATED - Walmart Statement on Black Friday Incident at Valley Stream Store

We expected a large crowd this morning and added additional internal security, additional third party security, additional store associates and we worked closely with the Nassau County Police. We also erected barricades. Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred.>>

If this is true, then I think it would be hard for them to charge Walmart with a crime. It sounds like they had taken precautions, but when the mob mentality took over, the crowd got by them. Short of having police or security tear gas the mob or shoot into it, what would you expect them to do? The other solution is just to open the store several hours before the sale starts, so people can get in orderly. Won't stop the shootings (TRU) or the armed robberies (Target parking lot), or the fights over the doorbusters, but hopefully would help the stampede/herd mentality.

We expected a large crowd this morning and added additional internal security, additional third party security, additional store associates and we worked closely with the Nassau County Police. We also erected barricades. Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred.>>

If this is true, then I think it would be hard for them to charge Walmart with a crime. It sounds like they had taken precautions, but when the mob mentality took over, the crowd got by them. Short of having police or security tear gas the mob or shoot into it, what would you expect them to do? The other solution is just to open the store several hours before the sale starts, so people can get in orderly. Won't stop the shootings (TRU) or the armed robberies (Target parking lot), or the fights over the doorbusters, but hopefully would help the stampede/herd mentality.

While it's great that most people have such a naive innocent view of our world it seems a bit weird to me that everyone's forgetting why there's such a crowd, the rush, the fighting and so on... Obiously the whole "sale thing" is a big gimmick where stores get a very limited number of stock of the big sale items yet they advertise it all over the place as if most people can really get their hands on it. I personally love all of the sales (not just BF) where stores advertise like a 2 day sale but the sale items are dead gone within 2 hrs. of the store opening on the 1st day. Obiously the stores only really want for the big crowds to show up and buy the regular priced items. I believe that everything in life has consequences and all those guilty of not behaving ethically will just bring out more non-ethical behaviour. It is painfully obious that businesses only care about making profits and the big cheeses like CEO's only care about themselves and so on and so forth... There are just too many ways for Wally and others to make these sales actually fair and benefit the consumers and the employees and increase security and to get more merchandise and to implement lines and tickets and so on and so forth but Wally obiously likes the system they have in place and disregard any improvements they can make.

While it's great that most people have such a naive innocent view of our world it seems a bit weird to me that everyone's forgetting why there's such a crowd, the rush, the fighting and so on... Obiously the whole "sale thing" is a big gimmick where stores get a very limited number of stock of the big sale items yet they advertise it all over the place as if most people can really get their hands on it. I personally love all of the sales (not just BF) where stores advertise like a 2 day sale but the sale items are dead gone within 2 hrs. of the store opening on the 1st day. Obiously the stores only really want for the big crowds to show up and buy the regular priced items. I believe that everything in life has consequences and all those guilty of not behaving ethically will just bring out more non-ethical behaviour. It is painfully obious that businesses only care about making profits and the big cheeses like CEO's only care about themselves and so on and so forth... There are just too many ways for Wally and others to make these sales actually fair and benefit the consumers and the employees and increase security and to get more merchandise and to implement lines and tickets and so on and so forth but Wally obiously likes the system they have in place and disregard any improvements they can make.

Naive and innocent? If one was logical about all of this, one would realize that there obviously are only limited quantities. In point of fact, most ads state just that, LIMITED QUANTITIES.

Secondly, of course business care first and foremost about making profits. How else can one remain in business if one doesn't make a profit. Perhaps the government can bail out one more entity.

The problem is and always has been that when given the chance and even when not given the chance, some will do things that are not allowed, not admirable and may result in great personal harm. People hurt one another on Halloween because they have the ability to cloak themselves. People also do things they normally would not do when they have too much to drink. I think society does as much as possible in most cases.

Could Walmart have done more? Probably. But let's face facts....the mob killed this person.

But go ahead, blame Walmart. Next year they will have less deals because they feel the need to have more and more security and less and less deals.

I can believe it happened , The first BF I went to was the wal-mart close to my house , I should have known it would be bad because the amount of people there on a everyday was extreme anyways.

the next year I vowed not to go back but my sister who lives thirty miles away and out of town has a wal-mart by her , so we went up there last year , and it was great, no lines, friendly people, no problems ......

so my two sisters and I decided to go again this year

WOW was it a shock , crowded, rude, people standing in line holding spots for people so you couldn't get through the check out lines .....to make the story short I was knocked over with another lady by a older guy in red clothes with a shopping cart ....I mean he took her down, knocked everything out of her hand , I had to help her back up , it took about an hour to even get out the check out line ......I am renewing my vow not to go back :P

I would be embarrassed and ashamed of even being in that crowd that killed the worker ! :(

Now that seems WRONG to me. Just goes to show how much they value their workers and customers!

Very tacky on Walmarts part. I wonder if they paid the employees during the temp. shutdown?

and added additional internal security, additional third party security, additional store associates and we worked closely with the Nassau County Police. We also erected barricades

Then why didn't the above work? Of course they hired temp holiday staff so does everyone else, yes they should work closely with the police after the tragic incident. I just wonder if this 3rd party security was decent. My cousin was a 3rd party security, had no experience or training, he never patrolled, talked on his cell all the time ...etc

Nothing wrong with a mad dash but make it controlled, whether it is allowing X amount of people in the store at once, not hiding the merchandise in the store, keeping all lanes clear of items, putting away the lawn and garden merchandise to make room for the BF deals. Allowing more than a few doors to be opened, encouraging more online sales on BF, hiring a real security firm and paying the extra to do it. I am sure Walmart can afford decent security with all the money they make from BF. It know it is easy to Monday morning QB (or in this case Saturday morning QB) but just my two kopecs.

Before I get labeled as I Walmart basher. I have nothing personal against Walmart, I've owned their stock, I shopped at various stores in the past a few times and hated it. I'd just rather avoid Walmart. I'd rather shop elsewhere than save a few bucks.

Looks like the Police are looking for those tramplers responsible

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081129/D94OJ4NG0.html

Also the police are saying Walmart did not have enough security

Edited by JohnnyLaRue
updated info

Excellent post, JohnnyLaRue.

What, exactly, is "third party security"? Is that the guy in the hat that walks the mall? Come on. When there's a couple thousand people standing outside the doors, you need REAL security. You'd have cops around for any other gathering of that size.

But go ahead, blame Walmart . Next year they will have less deals because they feel the need to have more and more security and less and less deals.

That's all totally fine with me if it means one less needless death is prevented.

And yes, I totally admit to being a Walmart hater. If they disappeared from earth forever, I would celebrate. Other, more community-conscious stores would open in their place. How awesome THAT would be!

Third party security could be security guards that WM hires from a security guard company or Off Duty Police officers. It basically means security who do not work for WM or comes from WM coprp security department.

Excellent post, JohnnyLaRue.

What, exactly, is "third party security"? Is that the guy in the hat that walks the mall? Come on. When there's a couple thousand people standing outside the doors, you need REAL security. You'd have cops around for any other gathering of that size.

But go ahead, blame Walmart . Next year they will have less deals because they feel the need to have more and more security and less and less deals.

That's all totally fine with me if it means one less needless death is prevented.

And yes, I totally admit to being a Walmart hater. If they disappeared from earth forever, I would celebrate. Other, more community-conscious stores would open in their place. How awesome THAT would be!

If we are to believe what Walmart stated, then it simply wasn't enough. An argument could be made that walmart was quite aware of what would happen and knew the extent and that is why they (supposedly) took the precautions that they did and should've known that more precautions were required... if not outright canceling the "event".

As for what else could they have done? How about....

Requiring the first 100-200 people stand in a single-file line (or # of individual lines that can safely be accommodated by the doors) and enter the store in that order. Stern warnings that running is completely unacceptable and that anyone caught running will forfeit the opportunity to purchase items. And more effectively, hand out numbered vouchers for the limited doorbuster items.

Why didn't they institute changes that have been proven to dramatically improve things? Answer: because they prefer the mayhem. Walmart gambled that they could have "controlled mayhem"... they lost that bet.

It is a bit disingenuous to refer to the shooting at TRU or the armed robbery at a Target parking lot as if they are equivalent to what regularly happens at many walmart stores each and every Black Friday.

It's such a sad situation. Our walmart was more crowded than usual today. But this year they had lines and gave out tickets for the big seller items. Ours is also a 24 hour walmart and that would make a difference in the rush to get in the store. Nothing is worth fighting over.

What does being 24 hours have to do with anything? Aren't all stores, even 24 hour stores, closed at some point for Thanksgiving? So they all have an opening point on BF.

I, like many, didn't see anything worth stampeeding for at WM. I did go there for jeans and PJs but didn't feel the need to line up. I wanted to get a zip drive and was annoyed at the line for electronics that went from the middle/back of the store all the way to the front door. I didn't understand why they had big ticket items, like TVs, in the "raceway" (as retailer's call it) that people could pick up and put in their basket but I had to wait in that ridiculous line for an $8.88 item - I went elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with a mad dash but make it controlled, whether it is allowing X amount of people in the store at once, not hiding the merchandise in the store, keeping all lanes clear of items, putting away the lawn and garden merchandise to make room for the BF deals. Allowing more than a few doors to be opened, encouraging more online sales on BF, hiring a real security firm and paying the extra to do it. I am sure Walmart can afford decent security with all the money they make from BF. It know it is easy to Monday morning QB (or in this case Saturday morning QB) but just my two kopecs.

Before I get labeled as I Walmart basher. I have nothing personal against Walmart, I've owned their stock, I shopped at various stores in the past a few times and hated it. I'd just rather avoid Walmart. I'd rather shop elsewhere than save a few bucks.

I'm so on the same page as you are!

My hubby and I also don't like Walmart. No bad experiences or anything like that, just not the store we like to go to. We'll go to Target over Walmart anyday!

What does being 24 hours have to do with anything? Aren't all stores, even 24 hour stores, closed at some point for Thanksgiving? So they all have an opening point on BF.

I, like many, didn't see anything worth stampeeding for at WM. I did go there for jeans and PJs but didn't feel the need to line up. I wanted to get a zip drive and was annoyed at the line for electronics that went from the middle/back of the store all the way to the front door. I didn't understand why they had big ticket items, like TVs, in the "raceway" (as retailer's call it) that people could pick up and put in their basket but I had to wait in that ridiculous line for an $8.88 item - I went elsewhere.

No, not all 24 hr. SuperCenters close. Our store only closes at 6pm on Christmas eve and re-opens at 6am on Dec. 26th. Our store is always a mess on BF, if they closed and then waited until everyone was there to open the doors, I wouldn't go there. Way too dangerous.

What would be wrong with handing out tickets for the major door buster items, like Best Buy does. That way, there isn't a real big need for people to get in the store quickly, and make a mad dash for the goods. Wouldn't that be a more responsible way to do things? If they would have done that, could they have prevented this death?

NEW YORK – Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify who trampled to death a Wal-Mart worker after a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries. The store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the Wal-Mart doors before its 5 a.m. opening at a mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the employee, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," Fleming said. He described the scene as "utter chaos," and said the store didn't have enough security.

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store.

Damour, 34, of Queens, was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead around 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone.

Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like "savages."

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling `I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" she said. "They kept shopping."

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store. It said it tried to prepare for the crowd by adding staffers and outside security workers, putting up barricades and consulting police.

"Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred," senior Vice President Hank Mullany said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those impacted."

I hope they are able to identify the people who started this whole thing and charge them accordingly.

A woman reported being trampled by overeager customers at a Wal-Mart opening Friday in Farmingdale, about 15 miles east of Valley Stream, Suffolk County police said. She suffered minor injuries, but finished shopping before filling the report, police said.

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Items on sale at the Valley Stream Wal-Mart included a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9.

Finished shopping before filing a report???

likely heard about the killing and is trying to get a lawsuit for herself if you ask me

I can't imagine saying you were "trampled" but you finished shopping before filing a report, wonder if they'll check the video on that one.

What the heck is wrong with people

I went to my local small Wal-Mart, got there around 4 to stand in line. I would say I was maybe 75 back. As soon as the doors opened people yelled run and run they did. I never saw that before, I was caught off guard. I thought run for what? When we were leaving a woman impatiently pulled into the parking spot next to us and nearly took my rear end off. I had to lean completely up against the van. In which she rudely told me to move my a##. I wished her a Merry Christmas, and quickly got in the van! RUDE!

The death of that man is tragic! I seen how easily that it could happen, and for what?

It is not corporate Walmart's fault, it is local mamgement. I have been to several different Walmarts in a few different cities and they all handle it differently. They should incorporate a ticket system like Best Buy for the people that stand in line outside before they open. The 24 hour Walmart's are usually the worst. I have only been to one 24 hour Walmart that had their ducks in a row. All the pallets were in place by 2 am and there was a Walmart worker manning about 2-3 pallets to make sure everything was orderly. The one this year was crazy...at 4:30am, they were still rolling pallets out which caused chaos.

I find this news of the persons death horrible. I also find it disturbing that everyone is making statement without having all the facts.

I have been to many black friday sales and seen the pushing and shoving in all stores. Circuit city was by far the worst I have ever seen.

The retailers are trying to put good sales on to get people good deals. That is why we all come to this site right? They are not trying to get people hurt or killed. Why would they?

This is just another case of todays society we always want to blame someone else. The fact is that Wal-Mart did not tell all those people to push and shove each other and to push doors in, that would be the animals outside that do not know how to act in public and don't care about anyone but themselves.

As to the Union statement. Don't get me started. My father was in a steelworkers union his whole life and well... long story. All they want is to unionize Wal-Mart because union membership is down because companys had to take thier businesses over seas because of union demands. What kind of position are the big 3 automakers in thanks to unioins?

All they see is all the Wal-Mart employees paying union dues.

If you do not think unions are big business nowadays you are kidding yourselves.

OK--you're joking right? Most Walmart employees are on welfare--ie, our tax dollars, because they can't afford the health insurance even if they are full time and can get it. And you don't think the absolute disconnect of reality and real life of the upper echelons of the auto execs (flying to beg for money from the govt. in their private jets) have anything to do with their failure. I am sick of people blaming unions for everything. They are the Good Guys-- Walmart--Bad Guy. Hearing people defend Walmart makes me physically ill. I haven't shopped there in 4 years. I remember exactly when because the last time I was there was Black Friday. It didn't go badly for me-- I just made my decision soon after based on what I know.

OK--you're joking right? Most Walmart employees are on welfare--ie, our tax dollars, because they can't afford the health insurance even if they are full time and can get it.

Hmmmmmmmm.... you sure about that?

The following is from WalMart's corporate website:

Medical Coverage

Every associate who works in the United States can become eligible for individual health coverage costing as little as $5 per month in some areas and as little as $8 per month nationwide. As soon as an associate becomes eligible for benefits, their children become eligible too.

Today, more than 92 percent of associates have health insurance—either through us or through other coverage. For our associates who choose coverage with Wal-Mart, we also offer more than 2,400 generic prescription drugs for $4. This includes prescription drugs to treat everything from diabetes to heart disease.

Wal-Mart associates will find more than 50 ways to customize their health coverage. They can select from a menu of deductibles, health care coverage options, and health credits and premiums.

We want associates and their families to have the peace of mind that their healthcare needs will be met, especially when they need it most. To ensure that peace of mind, Wal-Mart’s health coverage includes no lifetime maximums on most health care expenses.

Hmmmmmmmm.... you sure about that?

The following is from WalMart's corporate website:

Medical Coverage

Every associate who works in the United States can become eligible for individual health coverage costing as little as $5 per month in some areas and as little as $8 per month nationwide. As soon as an associate becomes eligible for benefits, their children become eligible too.

Today, more than 92 percent of associates have health insurance—either through us or through other coverage. For our associates who choose coverage with Wal-Mart, we also offer more than 2,400 generic prescription drugs for $4. This includes prescription drugs to treat everything from diabetes to heart disease.

Wal-Mart associates will find more than 50 ways to customize their health coverage. They can select from a menu of deductibles, health care coverage options, and health credits and premiums.

We want associates and their families to have the peace of mind that their healthcare needs will be met, especially when they need it most. To ensure that peace of mind, Wal-Mart’s health coverage includes no lifetime maximums on most health care expenses.

Yea..and I'm pretty sure that employees have to jump through a lot of hoops to be eligible for that insurance too...you guys really need to watch that documentary "The High Cost of Low Prices" it might open the eyes of some people who think others are just "walmart bashers". Me personally I don't hate walmart, but I also know that when it comes to some of their business practices they can be pretty shady.

OK--you're joking right? Most Walmart employees are on welfare--ie, our tax dollars, because they can't afford the health insurance even if they are full time and can get it. And you don't think the absolute disconnect of reality and real life of the upper echelons of the auto execs (flying to beg for money from the govt. in their private jets) have anything to do with their failure. I am sick of people blaming unions for everything. They are the Good Guys-- Walmart--Bad Guy. Hearing people defend Walmart makes me physically ill. I haven't shopped there in 4 years. I remember exactly when because the last time I was there was Black Friday. It didn't go badly for me-- I just made my decision soon after based on what I know.

Since unions are the good guys, where do you shop? Target? KMart? Shopko? Kohls? Gee, none of them are union.

Now let me tell a little story from about 3 years ago. I was unemployed, and started applying for retail jobs. Interviewed and got an offer from Kohls for floor help...15-20 hours a week, $6.50 an hour. Only benefit offered was employee discount. I asked HR how many full time benefited positions were in the store, the answer was 14! I didn't get an offer from Target, but their wage scale was the same. At the same time, I could have gone to Walmart just down the road, 25-30 hours a week as a cashier for $7.50, with at least the opportunity to get benefits. Didn't take any of them, as a better position in a small company came through for me.

My point in this is to say "Hey...before you start bashing WalMart, look at the business segment they are in." Do they do some things poorly...yes. However, when it comes to pay and compensation, they are competitive with or better than their competition in the retail segment. Kohls and Target part time employees aren't even eligible for benefits, at least Walmart makes them available. Not going to debate affordability, as everyone's circumstances are different. But if just 1 Walmart parttime employee gets healthcare, that's more than at the other retailers.

One last word on documentaries...they can be made to say anything the director/producer want them to say. A sound bite out of context here, a little video edit there, and a slanted narration are all it takes. I'm a skeptic...I take whatever they say, and anything I read on the internet with a grain of salt. I let my personal knowledge and experiences shape my thinking on things.

Back on topic for just a minute...the whole stamepede thing is just a manifestation of the same BF attitute that causes people to camp out at BB for days to get the door busters. Here's a hypothethical situation...It's Wednesday night and there's a small group camped outside BB. A group drives up and gets out, pulls guns, and starts robbing the campers. One guy refuses to hand over his wallet and is shot. Is BB responsible since they didn't hire security or have the police onsite? Afterall, they should have known that people would be camping...it's happened for the past several years. If BB is not responsible, then why is Walmart responsible for this incident? They had taken precautions, even if they were "inadequate" for the crowd size. However, once the crowd shows up, it's a little late to change the game plan if it's bigger and more unruly than you'd planned for.

Yea..and I'm pretty sure that employees have to jump through a lot of hoops to be eligible for that insurance too...you guys really need to watch that documentary "The High Cost of Low Prices" it might open the eyes of some people who think others are just "walmart bashers". Me personally I don't hate walmart, but I also know that when it comes to some of their business practices they can be pretty shady.

I watched that,it was an eye opener and I have residents who work there, they are full time and get between 20 and 22 hours a week, they are also on state food stamps and medical cards because even though they are full time they don't get enough hours to be considered for any benefits Walmart has to offer.

Police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the Wal-Mart doors before its 5 a.m. opening at a mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the employee, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," Fleming said. He described the scene as "utter chaos," and said the store didn't have enough security.

Perhaps we could give this guy an award for stating the obvious.

Of course the store didn't have enough security. Of course the store could have done more.

HOWEVER, at any time, those waiting for the deals could have left. Instead, most of these people in this "mob" continued shopping and getting irate when the store closed for a while.

Everyone deserves plenty of blame. IMO, the mob mentality took over here and there was little AT THE TIME that Walmart could do to stop it.

In the long run, all stores can prevent this. They can hand out tickets, make orderly ropes, hire security. But they cannot control, ever, those that get that crazy.

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store.

What kind of person would knock someone over, step on them, kill them, and just keep on walking so that they could get a $2 DVD? And what kind of person would trample other people who were trying to help the person that you just killed? I am so disgusted.

You know, I'd like to think that the people who did this are feeling really guilty right now but I have a strong feeling that they're just sitting at home watching the $2 DVD that they bought.

It's Wednesday night and there's a small group camped outside BB. A group drives up and gets out, pulls guns, and starts robbing the campers. One guy refuses to hand over his wallet and is shot. Is BB responsible since they didn't hire security or have the police onsite? Afterall, they should have known that people would be camping...it's happened for the past several years. If BB is not responsible, then why is Walmart responsible for this incident?

Apples and Oranges! You can NOT compare an incident like a drive by shooting and robbery to something like what happened at Walmart. Walmart could have DIRECTLY controlled the situation unlike this fictitious robbery at BB. Don't tell me they had adequate precautions and were unaware of the size of the crowd. Also 3rd party security is not trained to handle a shootout and it would irresponsible for police them to shoot back into crowds of people.

Yea..and I'm pretty sure that employees have to jump through a lot of hoops to be eligible for that insurance too.

You are speculating. I know you hate Walmart which is OK. I've already posted my views on Walmart earlier and don't shop there. As far as the poor employees on food stamps they need to work harder or get a 2nd or 3rd job. Entry level jobs are to get experience and you move on to another job after a few years.

Sorry no sympathy for them on my end. I came to the USA, made sure I was fluent in English (only Russian was spoke at home), after a few setbacks ended up with $75 to my name and lived out of an old car. Collected cans, returned shopping carts to stores for $$, with that $$$ got a prepaid cell (so i could be called back by employers), PO Box (address to put on application for a job) and 24 hour gym membership (to shower and clean up) and applied for jobs. Worked 3 jobs and spent what little free time I had at the library and started a dot com business. The business made money and I quit 2 of the entry level jobs I had. I sold the business and had enough to get myself back on my feet and am doing quite well (semi-retired) but starting up my 3rd business venture. Never once took a handout, never got benefits from my employers, never once took gov't assistance. This is the short version of my story but the point is if some average guy like me can do it anyone can. I'm not smarter or better than anyone else just have a good work ethic and refuse to give up and accept a bad situation.

After much thought and consideration, I feel that online sales are the ONLY way to make sure beyond a doubt that something like this doesn't happen again. However, there are still those out there without computers/internet who wouldn't have the oppurtunity to shop at all if that were the case. While I would feel bad for them, nothing like this should ever happen and no sale is worth a human life.

I have been shopping on BF for many years and I have noticed that, in our area at least, each year is worse. A couple of years ago, the same year as the $398 laptop deal at WM, my Mom was standing at the pallet for portable dvd players. When the plastic came off of the pallet she grabbed one and started handing them back to others after she got one for herself, still she was knocked to the floor and my DD14 had to help her back to her feet, as no one else would.

This year our store started bringing pallets out early and let people take what they wanted as they came out. In years past, when they did this, everything was orderly and calm. This year there was still a commotion and people were pushing and shoving.

I have decided that Mom has NO business going anymore and I will either get the things she wants myself, or show her that online shopping is thhe way to go. For the past three years I have taken my teens and DS20. After seeing how bad things are getting, I don't think they will be going anymore either.

As far as the talk about unions and such, my husband is a member of the union at the company he works for. They do wonderful things for them and we are happy to be a part of it. However, I don't see how a union could have prevented this tragedy, though. Maybe I am just not seeing it.

Apples and Oranges! You can NOT compare an incident like a drive by shooting and robbery to something like what happened at Walmart. Walmart could have DIRECTLY controlled the situation unlike this fictitious robbery at BB. Don't tell me they had adequate precautions and were unaware of the size of the crowd. Also 3rd party security is not trained to handle a shootout and it would irresponsible for police them to shoot back into crowds of people.

You are speculating. I know you hate Walmart which is OK. I've already posted my views on Walmart earlier and don't shop there. As far as the poor employees on food stamps they need to work harder or get a 2nd or 3rd job. Entry level jobs are to get experience and you move on to another job after a few years.

Sorry no sympathy for them on my end. I came to the USA, made sure I was fluent in English (only Russian was spoke at home), after a few setbacks ended up with $75 to my name and lived out of an old car. Collected cans, returned shopping carts to stores for $$, with that $$$ got a prepaid cell (so i could be called back by employers), PO Box (address to put on application for a job) and 24 hour gym membership (to shower and clean up) and applied for jobs. Worked 3 jobs and spent what little free time I had at the library and started a dot com business. The business made money and I quit 2 of the entry level jobs I had. I sold the business and had enough to get myself back on my feet and am doing quite well (semi-retired) but starting up my 3rd business venture. Never once took a handout, never got benefits from my employers, never once took gov't assistance. This is the short version of my story but the point is if some average guy like me can do it anyone can. I'm not smarter or better than anyone else just have a good work ethic and refuse to give up and accept a bad situation.

Umm...obviously you didn't missed the part in my post where I said I DIDN'T HATE WALMART. :rolleyes:

Umm...obviously you missed the part in my post where I said I DIDN'T HATE WALMART. :rolleyes: