Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

I'm a avid Walmart BF shopper and I learned years ago to NOT go to the stores that open their doors at 5 am because this type of thing has happened where people fall and get trampled. I personally go to the Supercenter where you can wait inside and some of the other stores have started this in my area as well because of safety. I kept saying for years that Walmart needs a better system than the "blitz" system or someone is going to get hurt.

For those of you saying "why didn't someone help him?" it's because you have to worry about your own safety too. I've been in that situation where someone fell ten feet in front of me and because of all the pushing and shoving behind me I had to jump over her. I wanted to help her but if I did I would have been down there with her, but luckily she got up in a jiffy and wasn't hurt.

I think Walmart should be responsible for this man's death because you cannot blame the people in the front of the line since they were probably pushed and shoved from the back of the line. Walmart needs to create a secure environment for it's employees and customers.

I'm a avid Walmart BF shopper and I learned years ago to NOT go to the stores that open their doors at 5 am because this type of thing has happened where people fall and get trampled. I personally go to the Supercenter where you can wait inside and some of the other stores have started this in my area as well because of safety. I kept saying for years that Walmart needs a better system than the "blitz" system or someone is going to get hurt.

For those of you saying "why didn't someone help him?" it's because you have to worry about your own safety too. I've been in that situation where someone fell ten feet in front of me and because of all the pushing and shoving behind me I had to jump over her. I wanted to help her but if I did I would have been down there with her, but luckily she got up in a jiffy and wasn't hurt.

I think Walmart should be responsible for this man's death because you cannot blame the people in the front of the line since they were probably pushed and shoved from the back of the line. Walmart needs to create a secure environment for it's employees and customers.

That's exactly it. It seems to be an a hazard of BF in some stores. Specifically, Walmart in this case. The people pushing is very animalistic... it's like people trampling each other to get out of a burning building or something. It's not a burning building. It's Walmart!

I have gone to some stores, had planned to go out this year. But honestly, I left Powder Puffs football back in high school! I'd rather not be pushed, shoved, or hear anything REALLY vile (like gunshots... boy howdy) at 4 am.

Walmart doesn't seem to care too much. They LOVE the money they're bringing in I bet. The tramplers are paying their hard earned money at Walmart. They get the money and then feel sad for that poor man later. I'm not bashing Walmart because I don't mind shopping there--going tomorrow. But come on... this is crazy!

It's a cruel, cruel world we live in...

I heard about this when I got back from my shopping this afternoon. Absolutely horrible! I feel for the man's family.

However, I don't feel sorry for the pregnant lady. Her dumbass should of been home in the first place.

I hope that the $88 Barbie Jeep or 50" TV deal or the cheap Hanna Montana stuff was worth to these fools

I feel really sorry for the worker, who was only trying to do his job. The WM that I went to was a mad house this am also(24 hr store). I think next year I will skip WM, or go later in the day. I went back later and they still had some BF items. I don't "need" anything that bad...

Yes, this situation is horrible. Yes, both Wal-Mart and the crowd that pushed its way in are to blame. No, that pregnant woman absolutely should not have been there. But honestly, I've done 2 or 3 BFs at Wal-Mart and I've never had a problem (aside from killing my hands trying to carry things). I'm only 30 miles from where this happened, and at my Wal-Mart, with its large, diverse, lower-than-average income population, things were fine. There was a fairly large police presence, and, while I didn't see the group at the beginning of the line, everyone else filed in in an orderly fashion, from all the way around the parking lot!

So yes, it's a combination of personal responsibility (which gets thrown out the door when mob mentality rears its ugly head), and stores being equipped to handle what they know will happen.

Also, please don't lump everyone who does Wal-Mart on BF in with one handful of crazy people. Just because we want the sales (&, if I do say so myself, the atmosphere), it doesn't mean we are, or act like, bad people. In fact this morning there were plenty of people saying 'excuse me' or 'thank you', people on line together bonded (as they generally do), and I witnessed a lot of nice gestures, at least enough to make up for all the bad stuff I saw.

this is horrible...my heart breaks for this mans family...working at walmart isn't supposed to be a dangerous job

this was a large man, I just can't picture the crowds walking over him...it's sad, infurating...I dunno...there are no words that accurately say how I feel about this

my first year going to BF we started out at walmart, before we got a 24 hour store and when the doors opened, I literally was crushed into the crowd and didn't walk in to the store...my feet were off the ground and I was carried in crushed between several people...crowd mentality is a scary thing

No amount of savings is worth it. Nope, that's why I like staying home in my pajamas to shop online!

You said it. I went out once on BF, a couple years ago, started at Walmart at 4am. I decided never to do that again. It gave me a view of humanity that I would have rather not seen. This incident is very, very sad, but it is not surprising to me after what I saw 2 years ago.

What ever happened to self responsiblility? What ever happened to the days when people who perpetrated the crimes were punished? I get soooo sick of everytime something tragic happens, everyone jumps on the "let's sue" band wagon. I'm sure you are all wonderful people, I've enjoyed reading and speaking with you all. But I am so dismayed a the state our society is in these days. Granted Walmart could be more organized, but why does that give these monsters the right to do what they did?

Let's avoid melodrama. Who said that walmart's actions give these monsters the right to do what they did? Exactly who is saying that? :rolleyes:

Just because society has a problem with personal responsibility doesn't mean that the concept of partial culpability doesn't exist. Walmart deliberately orchestrates and encourages "blitz" "dash-n-grab" stampedes on Black Fridays. That is no secret. Nobody is surprised. They are responsible for creating a hazardous situation.

I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the suing band wagon when Walmart did not make the human decision to act in such a barbaric way. I hope each of these monsters were caught on video and the TRUE perpetrators of this crime are punished for their own actions.

I'm so sorry for ranting, I'm off my soap box now...

Walmart may not have made the human decision to act in such a barbaric way, but they did create a situation to encourage barbaric acts. I highly doubt that you would be defending an establishment, such as a restaurant that offered to cut the cost of a patron's meal in half if they took a punch at the person sitting to their left. It is essentially no different.

So what else could Walmart (or any other store) do to thwart these occurrences? I'd say the best route around this, stop having doorbuster sales in store (B&M) and have them online only instead. I just think that is the only way they will ever get rid of injuries on BF.

You make it sound like every other retailer has this problem. They don't. There are many retail outlets that never (or virtually never) have something like this that seems to happen at many walmarts EVERY Black Friday. So either Walmart is deliberately doing something to cause this, or Walmart attracts barbaric people. Which one is it?

I guess I just don't understand how a sell by WalMart encourages people to act like that. I guess I was just raised a little different. for me just because a store is having a sell does not give me the right to run over people and I sure did not see Wal Mart employees encouraging people to trample each other. I seen a lot of aggrevated employees who could not believe the level people would stoop to to save a dollar.

That's a good point yet I think there's a difference btwn one or a few people acting out a certain way and the way a crowd behaves. Crowd behaviour is a well known fenomenon documented in all psychology books. Plus in all fairness I doubt all those people running over that poor employee really realized what they were doing and that he was dying and all that. Things like that usually happen in a matter of seconds and I'm sure if asked about right now they would be outraged and disgusted at their own behaviour.

I think it is Walmart's responsibility to take all of the necessary precautions to protect their employees and customers.

It is my opinion we are all to blame. Stores create this Black Friday competitive shopping spirit; beat out the other guy, get there first no matter the cost to you or anyone else and we'll give you a really good deal on some material goods. And the people actually buy into this nonsense. There are far better ways to conduct sales, create consumer interest and encourage customers to shop. Black Friday Sales, however, grab headlines, attract free advertising through the media and whip up that competitive mob mentality of "gotta get there and beat out the other people" for these super prices. It is greed at it's worst.

Yes, there could have been better crowd control. People could have behaved more humanely. But the real blame for this terrible tragedy lies with those who promote this mob mentality and each and every one who participates in it. How can you blame one more than the other? If we participate in this, no matter whether we are retailers or consumers nor where or what store, we contribute to the tragedies that occur and have blood on our hands.

Peace on earth and goodwill to men?????????????

***The store reopened around 1 p.m.

Now that seems WRONG to me. Just goes to show how much they value their workers and customers! Wonder if they had extra security that time.

I saw this on the news tonight & they showed a very heavy police presence outside, @ the doors & in the store. I can't believe the store was reopened.

***The store reopened around 1 p.m.

Now that seems WRONG to me. Just goes to show how much they value their workers and customers! Wonder if they had extra security that time.

Of course it's wrong, but Walmart has a long history of doing the wrong thing. God forbid if they didn't reopen and sell all the merchandise that they had on the shelves at 5am. You don't honestly think that the managers, corporate, board, etc... sat down and evaluated what happened in the morning! The only thing they give a crap about is making their billions!

I don't excuse the people that were involved in the mob one bit, but I put alot of the blame on Walmart. If you've ever been to a major sporting event, concert, etc... what do you see alot of? Police presents. They are there to act as a deterrent because any time you get large amounts of people together in a small area things can go terribly wrong in a hurry. If there were over 2000 people outside of this Walmart and there wasn't any police there to deter this kind of behavior, then Walmart definitely didn't value the safety of their workers or their shoppers. :no:

I heard this story earlier today and I think it is very sad. No matter how good the sales are or the money you might save that is no reason for people to act that way. It is an aweful thing that happened to those people. Just beccause we are all excited to get thing for a cheaper prices does nto mean we need to hurt eachother.

Today here I was standing in a small line at GameStop and this woman behnd me said that she went to JcPenny's this morning and she saw some people fighting over towels yelling at eachother and grabbing them from eachother.

I love these sales and look forward to them every year but I wouldn't get into a fight with someone over what they are getting even if I wanted to buy it. You always have another chance to get the item. Just not worth fighting over it.

Union Responds To Death of Long Island Wal-mart Worker

Demands Federal Safety Agency and Nassau County Prosecutor Investigate

QUEENS VILLAGE, NY (11/28/2008)-- United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, New York State's largest grocery workers Union, has called for an immediate investigation by Federal, State and Local authorities into the "avoidable" death of a Wal-mart worker at the Valley Stream, Long Island Wal-mart. Specifically, the Union has called on the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the New York State Department of Labor and the Nassau County Prosecutor to investigate Wal-mart's failure to provide a safe workplace.

"This incident was avoidable," said Bruce Both, President of United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500. "Where were the safety barriers? Where was security? How did store management not see dangerous numbers of customers barreling down on the store in such an unsafe manner?" asked President Both. "This is not just tragic; it rises to a level of blatant irresponsibility by Wal-mart. UFCW Local 1500 will demand a full investigation by all levels of Government to ensure both justice for the surviving family members and to ensure the safety of current employees and the general public. This can never be allowed to happen again and those responsible must be held accountable," Both concluded.

Director of Special Projects for Local 1500 Patrick Purcell called Wal-mart's comments in response to the incident both "cold and heartless." "If the safety of their customers and workers was a top priority, then this never would have happened," Purcell stated. "Wal-mart must step up to the plate and ensure that all those injured, as well as the family of the deceased, be financially compensated for their injuries and their losses. Their words are weak. The community demands action," Purcell concluded.

Purcell also suggested that people visit the website http://www.walmartcrimereport.com/ to review other incidents of Wal-mart not providing a safe work and shopping experience.

United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, based out of Queens Village, represents over 23,000 grocery workers in New York City, Long Island, Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties. Members of Local 1500 are employed by Pathmark, King Kullen, Stop and Shop, Gristedes, Fairway, D'agastinos, Key Food and Shop Rite.

I find this news of the persons death horrible. I also find it disturbing that everyone is making statement without having all the facts.

I have been to many black friday sales and seen the pushing and shoving in all stores. Circuit city was by far the worst I have ever seen.

The retailers are trying to put good sales on to get people good deals. That is why we all come to this site right? They are not trying to get people hurt or killed. Why would they?

This is just another case of todays society we always want to blame someone else. The fact is that Wal-Mart did not tell all those people to push and shove each other and to push doors in, that would be the animals outside that do not know how to act in public and don't care about anyone but themselves.

As to the Union statement. Don't get me started. My father was in a steelworkers union his whole life and well... long story. All they want is to unionize Wal-Mart because union membership is down because companys had to take thier businesses over seas because of union demands. What kind of position are the big 3 automakers in thanks to unioins?

All they see is all the Wal-Mart employees paying union dues.

If you do not think unions are big business nowadays you are kidding yourselves.

You dismissed the situation at walmart as if it was equally possible at any other store. It is absolutely NOT equally possible at any other store. Violence at walmart stores on Black Friday are part of the Black Friday "tradition". Do you think that it is coincidence that these situations happen more frequently at walmart than at other stores?

Every Best Buy that I've gone to on Black Friday is orderly but busy. That is because they have a voucher system for high-demand low-quantity items. They organize consumers into orderly lines. Walmart does none of those things. Walmart ENCOURAGES dash-n-grab. There are people who go to walmart specifically BECAUSE it is a dash-n-grab. Target has a modified dash-n-grab that is somewhere between an orderly voucher system and dash-n-grab free-for-all. I've NEVER experienced any mayhem at a Target or Best Buy on Black Friday. EVERY walmart that I've visited on Black Friday was chaotic.

Disagree if you wish. But Walmart does NOT do a sale just like all the other stores.

walmart is a breed of its own, yes the blame is on the customers, but walmart made the situation

and hasn't this type of thing happened at other walmarts previously?

This could NOT have happened at just any store. It DOES happen at walmart every year (to one extent or another). Walmart knows what happens each year... and they encourage it. While I believe that people need to be held accountable for their actions and their choices, walmart bears a portion of that responsibility for knowingly establishing an environment that is conducive to that type of behavior.

I know that Walmart is a "dash-n-grab" Black Friday event and that is why I avoid them. But there are many, even here at this forum, who actually enjoy the mad rush, the running through the store, the elbowing out the "competition" to grab that desired item.

AMEN

Walmart does encourage it unlike other stores and with the economy the way it is/ the commercial stating to get there early to grab limited doorbusters only enhanced the situation

I thinkt his could of happened at any store. I didn't see security at any of them that could of handled this kind of crowd. I am not blaming walmart on this one it was the customers. I think it is sad that a store would have to hire security to guarantee safety instead of discounting items.

yes it is sad that a store should hire security

but i believe many stores have previously on black Friday because THEY KNOW THEY WILL NEED IT

can not remember which one? sears? best buy?

Walmart strives to bring in the most people AND sell at the cheapest "rolled" back price BUT at what cost is it not their fault? They can afford it and they already know what type of situation they are encouraging

People should control themselves. This still could have happened with a police presence at WalMart. People need to act responsibly and be kind to each other! Black Friday is supposed to be about fun.

no i do not think it would have happened with a police officer at the door........ usually people will back up and listen to the officer

and walmart does not want people to control themselves, they do not have people form orderly lines and employees do refer to it as "dreaded Blitz Day"

they encourage the free for all- they make the situation

I didnt hear about this till last evening. Such horrible news. :(

With these kind of stores (that close for the night), they need to at least open them a few hours early.. just to get people in, in a calm fashion, and then not let anyone get they're hands on the blitz items till 5am like the supercenters.

This is indeed very tragic! I've never encountered a problem at our local WM stores. It's not about WM, folks....it's a sign of our greedy and self-centered society. Rudeness and selfishness is the name of the game today. Four people have been killed here in two auto wrecks in the past 2 days because of "cutting people off". We live in a sick society.

And it's only going to get worse.....

:no:

Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify who trampled to death a Wal-Mart worker after a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27955316/

No news about whether or not Wal-Mart is going to be charged as well, but at least the police are trying to figure out just who trampled this poor man to death.