Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

OMG!!!:eek: That is so aweful!! I stopped doing BF at Walmart about four years ago. I love the way my Bestbuy does and did things. First they ticket all the big or door buster items, second they have police or security posted by the door, and third they only let a certain amount in at a time..and not everyone at once. Everything went off without a hitch and I was done shopping with my cart full at 5:38. I LOVE IT!! :D

So sad about that worker though. When I worked at Walmart a few years back, a woman was killed while trying to cross the parking lot on BF. The driver was in a rush to get a $99 doorbuster TV. :(

Maybe this will be another wake up call for them to change how they do BF. :mad:

How incredibly heartbreaking!! Poor guy was just there to do his job and put some food on the table I imagine... and gets killed in the madness.

I walked in my Walmart around 6 am...stayed maybe 10 minutes and left empty handed because there was nothing in that store I needed badly enough to mess with that and I'm an avid BF shopper :(

FWIW, that was the ONLY store I went into today and refused to shop in. The rest of the stores in town were quite organized and sane although incredibly busy

Terrible, terrible but I think before everyone passes judgement on WM & their security, maybe we should get the whole story. This terrible story gives the WM bashers the right to make the comments about WM. I would not count the NYDN as a reliable xource & they obviously have been wrong about the pregnant woman. I have shopped BF @ my Super WM since it opened 10 years ago & never witnessed a problem. My WM is organized & secure. Today was probably the biggest crowd I have witnessed. Before I moved here & shopped a Super WM I shopped the regular WM & never saw problems. & the shoppers should not be let off the hook for their actions. Even if police had been there, they may not have been able to stop that mad crowd.

This makes me soooo happy that I was able to get our "must-haves" online. I was dreading the thought of a pallet-fight at Walmart. I have been to Walmart early on BF, but never at opening time. Is it really that crazy everywhere?

I was kinda shocked to see the door greeter at my walmart today. She was an elderly lady sitting on the seat of her walker smiling, waving, and saying "hope you find some great deals." It is a 24-hour store so I guess there wouldn't be any line or rush at the door, but it seemed crazy to me that they left that seemingly weak lady to man the door. But what do I know?

On Yahoo and NBC.com they are saying the pregnant woman and her unborn baby are fine.

While Walmart might need a better BF policy, in the end it was the people waiting outside who were acting like animals. I've gone to concerts where people are pushing and acting crazy - and there's security and people have seats they paid for - yet they still act like animals pushing and stepping on people to try and get a better view. I know alot of people dislike Walmart but you can't blame them for people's behavior.

While there are bad parts in all cities, in general Long Island isn't really considered dangerous. How are the employees inside supposed to know that the crowd is crazy? I'm sure all the big stores had crowds waiting outside and yet they didn't think things would be bad enough that the police should be called. This could have just as easily happened at Best Buy or Target.

I know alot of people dislike Walmart but you can't blame them for people's behavior.

Walmart is responsible for what happens within their doors. When they see a huge crowd of people standing outside those doors, it's a pretty easy guess that as soon as those doors open, there's going to be a lot of pushing and shoving to get in. Past experience alone should have taught them that.

I am by no means absolving the people who blindly stepped over or around the fallen man, but when you're in the middle of a pushing and shoving crowd, there's not a whole lot one person can do to get out of the way. Stopping means injury.

Walmart is responsible for the safety of their employees and customers. Period.

Walmart is responsible for what happens within their doors. When they see a huge crowd of people standing outside those doors, it's a pretty easy guess that as soon as those doors open, there's going to be a lot of pushing and shoving to get in. Past experience alone should have taught them that.

I am by no means absolving the people who blindly stepped over or around the fallen man, but when you're in the middle of a pushing and shoving crowd, there's not a whole lot one person can do to get out of the way. Stopping means injury.

Walmart is responsible for the safety of their employees and customers. Period.

:gdyeahthat:

It can be done a whole lot better then the way it is currently being done. They call it BLITZ at Walmart for a reason. :gdgirlfight3ol:

While Walmart might need a better BF policy, in the end it was the people waiting outside who were acting like animals.

Exactly. And all just to save a few bucks. If a few dollars is going to make you or break you, maybe you shouldn't be out blowing money in the first place.

This is so sad :(. Ultimately it is the crowd who is responsible for this mans death, but since this seems to happen at Walmart every year, you would think they would have some kind of security measures in place. Couldn't they only let so many people in at a time, to avoid the whole mad rush?

according to a news video I watched on it that is exactly what they were attempting to do and the people who were told to wait got p/o ed about it and smashed down the door. There were over 2000 people in line and there was extra security I can't see how it's walmart's fault unless you'd like the store to be like a bank vault to prevent the doors from caving in when 200+ people start beating on them. This is the fault of the people that did it. People need to grow up and realize that NOTHING is more valuable than a human life and behave themselves.

Cationary on this video! It shows emergency personnel working on the victim, not the trampling of him. If you are faint of heart, don't watch it. ~ Patty

Is this the video from the trampling?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/28/national/main4637170.shtml

Yeah. It is on youtube already. Seems walmart should follow bestbuy. Have a cop outside and let people in like 20 at a time, but as someone said walmart employees get a kick out of taping everyone running in and pushing each other down. :mad:

So if the family can sue Wal-Mart for this does that mean that the family of the two shot at Toys r us today should sue also?

I mean if Wal-Mart is responsible for this death because they didn't have proper security measures then doesn't that mean that Toys r Us is responsible since they also didn't have proper security?

I see alot of Wal-Mart bashing on here yet, no one has bashed toysrus for what happened in their store today too.

The whole thing is just sad and as the daughter of a Wal-Mart employee I hope I never have to get that phone call.

I think WM can and should be sued. Not because they didn't have adequate security, but because they seem to encourage a "dash and grab" or "blitz" environment AND this has caused major problems in the past. What have they done to address this issue? This was preventable. We have a local store here that also did the dash and grab thing last year. Once they opened their doors, the employees were lined up on both sides of the "runway" cheering and clapping while people ran to the back of the store to get the limited quantity doorbusters. They also had someone on the store PA system encouraging people to hurry if they wanted to get the items. Based on a environment like that how can anyone say the store isn't encouraging people to act unsafely on their property? To me having a crowd run through a store is an unsafe act.

I think the Toys R Us situation from today is a different situation. From what I understand it was two "rivals" doing the shooting. When I hear that, I think of gang activity. Not much a store can do to prevent that, other than have metal detectors. A big difference is Toys R Us didn't encourage people to hurt each other to get the good stuff. WM (and some other stores) encourage people to act unsafely to get the good stuff.

I hope they sue walmart this is ridiculous:no:

If walmart is sued then they should review cameras and sue the people that actually killed the man.

This mentality of suing establishments for general human faults has got to stop. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions. I'm sure some of the people that realize they killed that man are right now reasoning to themselves that it is walmarts fault he is dead and not their own. Sad state of humanity.

I think WM can and should be sued. Not because they didn't have adequate security, but because they seem to encourage a "dash and grab" or "blitz" environment AND this has caused major problems in the past. What have they done to address this issue? This was preventable. We have a local store here that also did the dash and grab thing last year. Once they opened their doors, the employees were lined up on both sides of the "runway" cheering and clapping while people ran to the back of the store to get the limited quantity doorbusters. They also had someone on the store PA system encouraging people to hurry if they wanted to get the items. Based on a environment like that how can anyone say the store isn't encouraging people to act unsafely on their property? To me having a crowd run through a store is an unsafe act.

I think the Toys R Us situation from today is a different situation. From what I understand it was two "rivals" doing the shooting. When I hear that, I think of gang activity. Not much a store can do to prevent that, other than have metal detectors. A big difference is Toys R Us didn't encourage people to hurt each other to get the good stuff. WM (and some other stores) encourage people to act unsafely to get the good stuff.

I guess I just don't understand how a sell by WalMart encourages people to act like that. I guess I was just raised a little different. for me just because a store is having a sell does not give me the right to run over people and I sure did not see Wal Mart employees encouraging people to trample each other. I seen a lot of aggrevated employees who could not believe the level people would stoop to to save a dollar.

If walmart is sued then they should review cameras and sue the people that actually killed the man.

This mentality of suing establishments for general human faults has got to stop. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions. I'm sure some of the people that realize they killed that man are right now reasoning to themselves that it is walmarts fault he is dead and not their own. Sad state of humanity.

I agree but I bet the lawyers are already talking to the family of the employee...People don't take responsibility for their own actions anymore (okay some of us do, but we seem to have abandoned any concept of right and wrong). There is a sense of entitlement that I don't understand and have tried to keep my children from following in.

I guess I just don't understand how a sell by WalMart encourages people to act like that. I guess I was just raised a little different. for me just because a store is having a sell does not give me the right to run over people and I sure did not see Wal Mart employees encouraging people to trample each other. I seen a lot of aggrevated employees who could not believe the level people would stoop to to save a dollar.

Well, ultimately if you cannot see how walmart encourages that behavior then you won't be able to see it if someone explains it to you.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1157/shrug8fl.gif

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f59_1227894726

Well, ultimately if you cannot see how walmart encourages that behavior then you won't be able to see it if someone explains it to you.

True very true. I guess I just have not witnessed it. At my walmart employees were not encouraging that kind of actions. Sorry. None of the stores I visted encouraged that. They all had sells just like walMart. I also do not want to see it. Sorry you have had to. I also do not believe in taking the blame from the actual individuals who did this. Not WalMart but people.

What ever happened to self responsiblility? What ever happened to the days when people who perpetrated the crimes were punished? I get soooo sick of everytime something tragic happens, everyone jumps on the "let's sue" band wagon. I'm sure you are all wonderful people, I've enjoyed reading and speaking with you all. But I am so dismayed a the state our society is in these days. Granted Walmart could be more organized, but why does that give these monsters the right to do what they did? I don't think that a couple of officers inside the store could have stopped this tragedy; if anything, it could have been worse. If people are animalistic enough to rip down steel and glass doors and trample a human being to death, then armed policemen are destined to only worsen the situation-other than shooting into the unruly crowd, what could they have done? I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on the suing band wagon when Walmart did not make the human decision to act in such a barbaric way. I hope each of these monsters were caught on video and the TRUE perpetrators of this crime are punished for their own actions.

I'm so sorry for ranting, I'm off my soap box now...

I agree but I bet the lawyers are already talking to the family of the employee...People don't take responsibility for their own actions anymore (okay some of us do, but we seem to have abandoned any concept of right and wrong). There is a sense of entitlement that I don't understand and have tried to keep my children from following in.

I will be waiting to read the news that the family successfully sues walmart over this giving them full blame. Then some of the people who trampled the guy to death get together and sue Walmart for "making" them kill the guy and causing them mental anguish. I can see the headlines now. :eyepoppin

It's such a sad situation. Our walmart was more crowded than usual today. But this year they had lines and gave out tickets for the big seller items. Ours is also a 24 hour walmart and that would make a difference in the rush to get in the store. Nothing is worth fighting over.

Cationary on this video! It shows emergency personnel working on the victim, not the trampling of him. If you are faint of heart, don't watch it. ~ Patty

Is this the video from the trampling?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/28/national/main4637170.shtml

That video is disgusting-people laughing, some guy yelling "they need to shock 'em". A guy is lying there dead or dying and you're laughing? I'd be shocked. You can blame Walmart all you want but I find it disgusting that all those people continued to step on this guy until he died. All to save a couple bucks. That's disturbing.

I watched that video two times. I am not seeing ANY employee encouraging any fighting over anything.

I did see a bigger fella, w/his back turned to the camera, opening a box, he *could* be an employee. He didn't seem to be bothered by the 'fighting' over the game system, though it appeared more like pulling/pushing imo, the 'fight'.

What I did see in that video was a LARGE crowd in a small area, acting completely uncivilized. Hungry mongrels comes to mind. Many were adults and it appeared to be a couple teens and an older boy were mainly what I saw.

I do think that Walmart could do some adjusting to their BF sales and store set up. But I DO NOT blame Walmart (or any store) for the fights/pushing/shoving/deaths/etc.

They could have corded off lines, long lines, each one for each doorbuster. If you think you stand in line long now, just wait. But seeing what I have during BF shopping in the past, the lovely civilians/customers/guests will eventually manpower those lines, and move them, and possibly create more chaos and more trampling.

So what else could Walmart (or any other store) do to thwart these occurrences? I'd say the best route around this, stop having doorbuster sales in store (B&M) and have them online only instead. I just think that is the only way they will ever get rid of injuries on BF.

If I am responsible for someone who gets hurt on my property how can WalMart not be responsible for what happened today? Granted, those who became part of the stampede are also responsible but, as in any situation when something goes wrong, you have to ask, where did it first go wrong?

If I am responsible for someone who gets hurt on my property how can WalMart not be responsible for what happened today? Granted, those who became part of the stampede are also responsible but, as in any situation when something goes wrong, you have to ask, where did it first go wrong?

When people forgot what they learned in kindegarten. Like don't push or shove, don't run in the hallways and be polite.

When did a sale at a store suddenly equate to free reign to act like animals unless given a ticket?

This morning at Kohls, there was your usual line. When the doors opened, several people keeping warm in their cars ran and plowed their way into the store ahead of several people that were waiting for an hour or so. Alot of yelling, but nothing went further. Personally, I would have loved to have seen a few of them get smacked around.

Wow... I always joke and say that I'm staying away from WM on Black Friday because I don't want to get trampled. :( Sadly, it seems really common at Walmart. I remember a few years back some poor women got knocked over. Also, people throwing punches over an emachine computer?! Disgusting.

It's sad how disgusting some people can be. When is "the law" going to get to picking that security tape over with a fine-toothed comb. Whoever stepped on that man and kept going... those are the kind of people that make you lose hope in humanity. :( Bless that worker's heart...