Teacher Gifts

buckaboo21

2 of my children are not in school yet and then I have one in second and a special needs son in 8th. I buy for the 2nd grade teacher and my older son's Ed Tech but I don't buy for all of the other teachers. There are way too many teachers in middle school and high school to try and buy for them all. I usually buy for the spec. ed driver too. This year I got the Ed. Tech a picture frame, a candle, a singing card, a bag of candy, a book about kids with Asperger Syndrome, and a tote bag from bath and body works. The spec. ed driver will get antibacterial soap and hand cream and the second grade teacher is getting Shampoo and Conditioner from bath and body works and a huge tote bag from the Christmas Tree Shop along with some Burt's Bees lip balm.

all our local teachers hang out at Tim Hortons (it's like a Duncan Donuts), so we usually did gift certificates for there (I homeschool now). I also used to buy a book for the classroom...the teachers LOVED this

My mil was a teacher for years and she always told us to NOT buy "apple stuff" or coffee mugs....when she retired, she had over 100 teacher mugs that she didn't know what to do with (we donated them to a retirement community, but honestly I dunno if they used them either). She had a TON of apple themed note pads and stuff...she felt awful giving/throwing the stuff, but what was she supposed to do with it all? lol

she recommends gift certificates for coffee shops, stores that teachers buy stuff at (staples, books stores, walmart/target, etc)

Yes, teachers do NOT want apple stuff. They get waaay too much of this, and it is really useless outside of school. My mom is a teacher and has been teaching for over 20 years. In that amount of time, you can collect quite a bit of apple/teacher stuff. :tongue1:

I homeschool now, but in the past, I usually spent around $30 on my son's teachers. (depending on how many teachers he had that year) I usually would get them a gift card and a small bag with BBW lotions, chapstick, and other miscellaneous things. They are with our kid's so much and teach them so much that I think they are very deserving of whatever we can give them.

Having said that, I do think it is different with those who have kid's in middle school and high school. If your child switches classes and doesn't have any one teacher for a lot of the day, it's probably okay to either not give gifts or give something VERY small.

Oh my, I did not realize people spend that much money on teachers gifts. I would go broke and have no money for my kids Christmas. I hope my kids teachers don't think I am cheap. All the teachers aides (6) will get a little bag with a little hand sanitizer from bath and body works(1.50) each and a chapstick from avon(.69 each) and a picture of my child. The Teachers will get a basket of school supplies (bought when they are on sale at the beginning of the school year) along with some books and a few goodies for them. Does this sound cheap?

I think you gifts sound great! Something personal for the teachers and something for the class. Very nice!

Honestly, I would love to receive: copy paper, construction paper, glue, crayons, copies of projects or homework pages (things we used to run but cannot anymore due to budget cuts), pencils, erasers, etc. Gifts would be really lovely, but my priorities are different this year. I really NEED supplies and I am sure other teachers do too. Ask your teacher what she or he needs and do that. It will be meaningful and WILL be remembered.

School supplies are a good idea. As a teacher I would be thrilled to get dry erase markers, glue, scissors, etc. I teach Science so any cool kit would be nice too.

We would also love just a nice card or something. It doesn't have to be purchased. You have no idea how just a thank you can be the best present!!

Like with any job and or career it all depends on the area and the cost of living. My area has a high cost of living, the average single family home in my area is over $500,000, sales tax is 8%, and the schools get a lot of support. It all depends on the area.

I mentioned in another thread that at my Starbucks the coffee gifts even the Christmas Blend coffee are 20% off. They have a set that is A sampler size pack of coffee and chocolates for $7.95 with 20% off the gift will be $6.37 + tax. Its a cute gift and would be nice for a teacher who likes coffee and chocolate.

Ok, honest opinions please. My son is in Preschool and this is our first time buying teacher gifts. He has 2 wonderful teachers, both women, and school supplies were out of the question because our school is stocked. So I picked up a couple of Starbucks gift cards today for them...what do you think? Is it too impersonal??

Ok, honest opinions please. My son is in Preschool and this is our first time buying teacher gifts. He has 2 wonderful teachers, both women, and school supplies were out of the question because our school is stocked. So I picked up a couple of Starbucks gift cards today for them...what do you think? Is it too impersonal??

That's a nice gift--I'm sure they'll appreciate it!! ;)

I think Starbucks cards are great for the teachers! I think Dunkin Donuts cards would be good too, as their coffee is yummy.

My son's teacher is fantastic, she is very thorough, knowledgeable, sensitive to his needs, supportive, (he has special needs.)

Son and I selected a funny card, a BBW lotion and body mist and also a nice sterling/gemstone bracelet. She loves all of it. Infact my son said she had the bracelet on today!! (I have learned from years past to give the gifts a few days early because somehow either my child or the teacher would become sick --or there would be a snow day and we hate the gift to be late...) This woman gets a bigger gift than other teachers ever have, but she does more than anyone else ever has.