Teacher Gifts

buckaboo21

i think $25 is a good price point for a teachers gift. my DD only has 1 teacher.... i dont buy for her librarian, music teachers, etc. i will pick up something smaller for the principal. VP, secretary and bus driver.

I am actually thinking ofd this for DD's K teacher. her name is mrs. Pearson and i love things personalized http://www.personalcreations.com/family_live_laugh_love_frame-product-8H163-1-300-3003.html

and for her bus driver, i am thinking something like this http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=6820&name=Insulated+Beverage+Carrier&parentCatId=1029&catId=780 but as one reviewer replied, i will make the name in all caps, so it stands out.

some teachers and coaches were receiving $100 coffee shop cards, open ended plane tickets and weekends in Aspen and Vail.

:eyepoppin That's just ridiculous! Are they trying to buy their kids grades or something? I don't buy for teachers, I have 2 kids in high school and one in middle school which makes for about 15 or so teachers. I can't afford that.

:eyepoppin That's just ridiculous! Are they trying to buy their kids grades or something? I don't buy for teachers, I have 2 kids in high school and one in middle school which makes for about 15 or so teachers. I can't afford that.

I'm sure some people were hoping it would help with grades. I also think that some parents just wanted to show their appreciation. There is a lot of money in this area.

District officials said that although gifts often come "from a generous and warm place," they want to eliminate potentially inappropriate giving for three main reasons: the chance for impropriety; the creation of inequities among schools and departments; and potential tax implications "given the high financial value of some of the gifts discovered."

Here is the article from my local paper.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/oct/11/gifts-to-teachers-must-be-25-or-less/

I found these cute homemade "Gifts from the Kitchen" ideas on Whole Foods web site.

Some recipes have pictures of the gifts along with the recipes and even gift tags with serving suggestions that you can print out.

Here are the gifts you can make

Candied Lemon Peels

Candied Orange Peels

Chile Oil

Cinnamon Pancake Mix

Citrus Salt

Cranberry and Goji Berry Chutney

Herbes de Provence Salt

Sweet Spice Rub

Lavender Sugar

Maple Sugar Walnuts

Mulled Cider Spice Sachets

Preserved Lemons

Rosemary Olive Oil

Sugared Cranberries

Tangerine Sugar

Tarragon Vinegar

Vanilla Bean Sugar

and the link

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/holidays/giving/fromthekitchen.php

for the first 10 years i taught in poorer urban schools, never received a xmas gift, and thought nothing of it. then we moved and i taught in the best school in a good district--and got a range of gifts. (no trips to vail!)

having been on both ends, xmas gifts for my class were great. but larger or personal gifts felt wrong.

just a thought, but if i receive a xmas gift, i'd prefer a homemade jar gift or a classroom gift.

better yet, an end of the year gift...after grades are done. but still something classroom/teacher related.

I have been a teacher for many years and I basically get nothing each year from the students. Sometimes I get alittle something from the Dollar Tree. However, some years I have recieived a gift made by the child at home, something simple like a car made from construction paper. The gifts made by the children are some of the most meaningful gifts. However, it is expected each Halloween, Christms, Valentines and Easter for the teacher to give the children a gift bag of candy, pencils, crayons, erasers and a book. Also, the teacehr is expected to give each child a gift for Christmas. The school system does not allocate funds for the teacher to buy these things. Everything a teacher gives to a class is from his/her own pocket. A teacher spends anywhere from $1000-$2000 each year out of his or her own pocket because they love the children. Teacher's so appreciate the little things that parents do for them. Volunteer in your child's classroom!! Let your willingness to come in and help be a gift to your child's teacher!! Volunteering is free!! Many of you work and are unable to come to your child's school. Volunteer to do things at home for your child's teacher such as staple papers and cut out bulletin board supplies etc. Give the gift of time!

However, it is expected each Halloween, Christms, Valentines and Easter for the teacher to give the children a gift bag of candy, pencils, crayons, erasers and a book. Also, the teacehr is expected to give each child a gift for Christmas.

I have never expected my children's teachers to give them gifts for any holiday, and the majority of them don't. There have been a couple of teachers through the years who have given the kids a little gift bag with some candy and maybe a pencil. Usually they organize a gift exchange between the kids. One year it was a puzzle exchange, another year it was ornaments, and another year the girls bought a girl gift and the boys bought a boy gift, I don't know how she passed them out. I know teachers spend a lot out of pocket for classroom stuff, I'm sorry you feel obligated to buy gifts for all your students.

I am looking for some ideas for my DS and DD teachers and assistants. Last year I gave everyone gift cards but this year money is very tight so I am looking for some creative ideas. Thank You:)

Cookies or some other christmas goodie. Many people are so busy they don't have time to bake.

A coupon offering to volunteer X amount of time copying, or prepping something for the teacher or maybe an offer to clean the cage of the class pet.

A sincerely handwritten letter from ds and dd thanking them and specifically mentioning some things they've loved this year.

Books for the class library. You can probably find some that are inexpensive and in like new condition at the thrift store.

I am making chocolate covered gold plastic spoons. For stirring into coffee or hot chocolate. I am adding flavorings such as mint, Kahlua, Amaretto. Then drizzling white chocolate on them.

Cookie or Brownie in a jar mixes....we did that last year.

A handwritten decorated card from the child.

I have been a teacher for many years and I basically get nothing each year from the students. Sometimes I get alittle something from the Dollar Tree. However, some years I have recieived a gift made by the child at home, something simple like a car made from construction paper. The gifts made by the children are some of the most meaningful gifts. However, it is expected each Halloween, Christms, Valentines and Easter for the teacher to give the children a gift bag of candy, pencils, crayons, erasers and a book. Also, the teacehr is expected to give each child a gift for Christmas. The school system does not allocate funds for the teacher to buy these things. Everything a teacher gives to a class is from his/her own pocket. A teacher spends anywhere from $1000-$2000 each year out of his or her own pocket because they love the children. Teacher's so appreciate the little things that parents do for them. Volunteer in your child's classroom!! Let your willingness to come in and help be a gift to your child's teacher!! Volunteering is free!! Many of you work and are unable to come to your child's school. Volunteer to do things at home for your child's teacher such as staple papers and cut out bulletin board supplies etc. Give the gift of time!

I never expected my sons teachers to provide gifts for the children. I often bought some of the stuff in those gift bags and so did other parents in the classrooms. Our teachers sent home wish lists for those types of items.

You missed the point of what I was saying. I do not feel obligated to buy the children anything. I buy for the children because I love them. Each school system has different policies concerning teacher gifts and/or student gifts. I was merely stating what is expected in my school system. I am sorry your children have recieved so little from their teacher's in the past!! This would not be accepted in the school system where I teach.

Teacher's love parents that volunteer. Volunteering your time is free and does not cost you anything. Give the gift of your time and have a blessed holiday.

For my son's preschool class last year, the teachers asked instead of gifts for them, to purchase something for the classroom. They had a paper tree that hung on the wall with pictures of things they wanted for the classroom as the ornaments and they you just pulled an ornament and stuck it in an envolope with the money and then they ordered it. YOu could also purchase your own item or give a donation for a sand table they were buying. It worked out very well.

You missed the point of what I was saying. I do not feel obligated to buy the children anything. I buy for the children because I love them. Each school system has different policies concerning teacher gifts and/or student gifts. I was merely stating what is expected in my school system. I am sorry your children have recieved so little from their teacher's in the past!! This would not be accepted in the school system where I teach.

Teacher's love parents that volunteer. Volunteering your time is free and does not cost you anything. Give the gift of your time and have a blessed holiday.

my children, recieved a wonderful eduction, This is far better then any Christmas present that a teacher could buy. Teachers are so under payed that it is foolish to expect them to but something for each student.

Our school system will not allow teachers to send home wish lists. You guys are so lucky that you can contribute to your childrens classrooms.

Your school system needs to rethink that policy. I don't mean to let teachers send home huge lists of "demands" (I have seen some of those too) but some of us can't volunteer time even though we would love to (I taught for a couple of years and was at work at the same time as my child's school hours...) but we love to help out in other ways, I've sent treats for the treasure box, a ton of cute pencils over the years, candy for treat bags. A lot of times I didn't wait for the teacher to express the need. I just found something cute and sent it with a note to use it at her/his discretion. I miss those days now, mine are in middle and high school and although I still send kleenex etc, I still eye the cute Christmas pencils each time I go in the store.

We get Entertainment Books for each teacher. My son has 2 teachers and my daughter in middle school has 7. To buy these books at a store they are $30...but I'm in the real estate industry and get a discount, so they are only $15 per book. I save some money & aggravation trying to figure out what to buy for 9 people I really don't know and they get a nice gift they can use through the year. The bus drivers get a box of candy....

Oh my, I did not realize people spend that much money on teachers gifts. I would go broke and have no money for my kids Christmas. I hope my kids teachers don't think I am cheap. All the teachers aides (6) will get a little bag with a little hand sanitizer from bath and body works(1.50) each and a chapstick from avon(.69 each) and a picture of my child. The Teachers will get a basket of school supplies (bought when they are on sale at the beginning of the school year) along with some books and a few goodies for them. Does this sound cheap?