People Already In Line - Post Your Reports

bigjimslade

Last night I went to my local WM for a return... when I was in line, there was a couple there saying they wanted to get "the tv" on Friday, and asked if they could pay for it now, and pick it up on Friday. the lady at CS, said no (of course). There were still there when I was walking away, and as I was walking through the store, I saw them in the electronic dept. trying to talk some guy into letting them buy it today and holding it for them until Friday.... Hey, I guess they are doing whatever they needed to... at one point I even heard them saying "well we are for sure getting it friday, So i don't know why we can't just pay for it now".... Good Luck to them.

Wow, Big Jim. It's pretty early, but I guess it gets earlier every year. Even though some may not find items in the ads this year that they wouldn't stand in line for, it just depends on what you are looking for. The earliest I have ever gone out is 6pm on Thanksgiving Day(after dinner because I don't want to miss that time with my family). But, I'm sure there are people who may not get together on the holidays and for them, if they want to stand outside for days, that's their decision to make. I think we will go out around midnight Thursday night this year, it varies from year to year. I wish them luck and hope they are not in my area wanting the same things I am wanting, lol. I would love to see an interview as well to know exactly what they are standing in line for, probably pretty amusing, lol.

I don't even know what people would be lining up for this early this year. I doesn't make sense to me at all. No one this year has anything good enough to camp out for that long. Why would you camp out at WM if most are 24 hour stores and you can just go on in?

This is just so sad- Thanksgiving is a day that should be spent with family and/or friends giving thanks for all the many blessings that we have been given living in the BEST country in the entire world. It is heartbreaking that this day has been turned into such a retail frenzy. I find it heartbreaking that people who are already in line would choose saving a few dollars over time spent with family and friends.:(

This is just so sad- Thanksgiving is a day that should be spent with family and/or friends giving thanks for all the many blessings that we have been given living in the BEST country in the entire world. It is heartbreaking that this day has been turned into such a retail frenzy. I find it heartbreaking that people who are already in line would choose saving a few dollars over time spent with family and friends.:(

i know it seems sad and i keep thinking why they would stand in line for so long.... but it goe me thinking.... what if the deal they are waiting for is the ONE thing they have been saving for all year long? what if its the only gift they can give their family this year, due to finances and other reasons. while getting in line now seems crazy, i can see a person doing it for a good reason.

i know it seems sad and i keep thinking why they would stand in line for so long.... but it goe me thinking.... what if the deal they are waiting for is the ONE thing they have been saving for all year long? what if its the only gift they can give their family this year, due to finances and other reasons. while getting in line now seems crazy, i can see a person doing it for a good reason.

You may have hit the nail on the head. Although alot of time the ones who line up early, person that will resale the items for a profit (in hopes to turn one anyway).

This is a personal opinion here- but I believe that the most meaningful gift you can ever give to your family is your time!:yup:

Assuming that the "TV" they're waiting four days for at WalMart is the doorbuster Samsung 50" Plasma for $798, I managed to purchase this very same TV online yesterday from BB (for a penny less than WM's BF price, even! ;-) ), thanks to the info from gottadeal.com! Ordered online - picked up in store - a very large box now sits in my living room as we figure out which wall we should mount it on. Soon my husband will be watching the Patriots as nature intended! Anyway, between the TV and the new HP laptop I got at BB last weekend (not a BF deal snagged early like the TV, but I would have been settling for the BF WM one offered Friday. For a little more, I got what a wanted for features.), my big ticket items have been taken care of, I can sleep off the turkey Thursday night, venture out on Friday about 4:15-ish, and shop BF for the small stuff at my leisure. Last couple of years, thanks to the pre-planning this site affords us, I've been back home and in bed before the sun has come up! God bless the early campers!

I know a few college students at my college who are lining up tonight. Campus will be dead Wednesday and most professors have made class optional. One of them said it was an excuse not to be at the RA meeting at the dorm (and to get out of cleaning), and not hang out at an empty campus.

I don't have any family so it is not a matter of spending time with family for me. Also don't celebrate US Thanksgiving and had my Thanksgiving back in Oct. Yet I would never camp out as my time is far more important to me than a few bucks off an item. I just show up around 4 am and for all 4 years have always got what I wanted.

All the doorbuster items every year is an item I own. I would never wait till BF to get an item. I wanted a nice HDTV years ago before hockey season started. Can afford the extra $300 bucks and was worth seeing my hockey in HD then instead of waiting a few months.

Funny part about the homeless as when the BevMo opened in town you got a free $25 gift card for the first 100 customers. Over half the line was homeless people lined up a week before the store opened!!! :eek:

For some people it isn't about the items, but the experience.

I was going to say the same thing. It's like sleeping outside for baseball tickets or whatever. Some people like the crowds, etc.

If I had stayed at my last job, I'd be off this whole week on a mandatory furlough. I'm not saying I'd be spending my time in front of WM or BB, but I might be more likely to if I wasn't doing anything else. We're so quick to judge them for wasting their time and not being with their families. If you're the type of person who is out of work for whatever reason, likes hanging out outside like that, doesn't have kids and maybe can score a good deal on something that you've been saving for, why not? With that kind of dedication, you deserve whatever doorbuster you can get your hands on.

As an aside, I've always said that I'd like to spend one Thanksgiving some place warm so I can camp out. I know people do it in all weathers, but my blood's just not thick enough! But I would like to at least have the experience once.

I agree!! Thanksgiving comes first, then go get in line. I'm not willing to skip Thanksgiving dinner (which we eat around 3 @ my grandmothers) for any item. I'm probably getting in line around 11pm Thanksgiving night.

I love getting deals for my family, but I love spending time with them even more. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I will go to the Thanksgiving sale a K-Mart but I'll be back home before anyone else is up. I can not imagine lining up already. I wish they had someone to spend the holiday with.

I just want to say, it's people like this that make getting in line earlier and earlier each year a requirement and not just a suggestion!!

Maybe I miss read the ads, but did BB or WM have a 199 laptop deal? Or 50in HDTV for $499?? If not, my plans will stay the same and get into line after Thanksgiving dinner!

Some people don't have a family to spend Thanksgiving with, or their families do not celebrate Thanksgiving... we can take the example of say college students who are far away from their families for Thanksgiving, and do not go home for this holiday because it's only for a few days, and the Christmas break is coming up very soon after.

But you can develop a rapport among your fellow line waiters... get some food... enjoy yourself with others that have the same ideas as you.

Or celebrate Thanksgiving the weekend before, and spend the day with friends/family in line. There isn't a law that dictates you must celebrate on Thanksgiving Day. My friends are having a Thanksgiving party the Saturday after.

(um except its a kegger and there will be no turkey involved... oh to have mostly single friends in their 20's...)

Of course, I'm a person that has camped out on a sidewalk for movies and know the guys that were in the Star Wars lines in Hollywood...

Or celebrate Thanksgiving the weekend before, and spend the day with friends/family in line. There isn't a law that dictates you must celebrate on Thanksgiving Day. My friends are having a Thanksgiving party the Saturday after.

Here here, My entire family has Thanksgiving day dinner Wed. Then we all head out together to BB to get in line.:yup: