Sandisk Shaker Mp3 player $12.49 @ tru

dmmiller

Very sorry Marcster--anyone else. Nothing illegal intended, shall I change my original post? I was merely trying to be kind in suggesting something.

(I am the one that was asking you earlier today in a PM about MP3's and downloading movies and such--I do not know much about them at all yet, may be hard to believe, but it is true. I am still learning **:blush::blush:very embarrassed, crawling under rock.)**

No need... I was just pointing it out. Obviously it doesn't matter to the person who posted right after me (above you).

It's one thing to rip a CD to listen to on your MP3 player (or your kids). It's another to do it and give it to someone else, since you would be retaining the music as well...

No need... I was just pointing it out. Obviously it doesn't matter to the person who posted right after me (above you).

It's one thing to rip a CD to listen to on your MP3 player (or your kids). It's another to do it and give it to someone else, since you would be retaining the music as well...

I guess I don't understand. Just was going to use some songs we had purchased that are in our music library. We had a ton of itunes giftcards dd got for her birthday. Is this against the law? Would I need to buy a seperate itunes gc for the niece? I would still be using the same music, just wondering.

I guess I don't understand. Just was going to use some songs we had purchased that are in our music library. We had a ton of itunes giftcards dd got for her birthday. Is this against the law? Would I need to buy a seperate itunes gc for the niece? I would still be using the same music, just wondering.

The music purchased from iTunes can be shared on up to 4 devices in the same household (I'm not 100% certain of that because my Shuffle is the only iPod-device I've ever used).

The first time that your niece runs iTunes on her computer at her house and tries to sync her iPod to it, it is going to ask if she wants to erase the entire iPod because the digital license for that music does not exist on her computer (because it's on yours).

You'd be better off just giving her a iTunes gc of her own so she can download her own music.

While you physically could load it up with music copied from CDs in your personal collection and give it to your niece (which would not protected by Apple's AAC digital-rights management), it would not be legal in the eyes of the RIAA.

Like I said previously, in my eyes, it's one thing if your daughter buys Hannah Montanah's latest CD and then rips it so she can put it on her Zune. It's another if she rips it and passes the MP3s on to her cousin.

And, quite honestly, the RIAA has had a standpoint since 2006 that ripping CDs to load the music onto an MP3 player is a violation of copyright law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riaa#Efforts_against_copyright_infringement

The music purchased from iTunes can be shared on up to 4 devices in the same household (I'm not 100% certain of that because my Shuffle is the only iPod-device I've ever used).

The first time that your niece runs iTunes on her computer at her house and tries to sync her iPod to it, it is going to ask if she wants to erase the entire iPod because the digital license for that music does not exist on her computer (because it's on yours).

You'd be better off just giving her a iTunes gc of her own so she can download her own music.

While you physically could load it up with music copied from CDs in your personal collection and give it to your niece (which would not protected by Apple's AAC digital-rights management), it would not be legal in the eyes of the RIAA.

Like I said previously, in my eyes, it's one thing if your daughter buys Hannah Montanah's latest CD and then rips it so she can put it on her Zune. It's another if she rips it and passes the MP3s on to her cousin.

And, quite honestly, the RIAA has had a standpoint since 2006 that ripping CDs to load the music onto an MP3 player is a violation of copyright law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riaa#Efforts_against_copyright_infringement

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. As for DH's niece, she does not have a computer, so I was going to do it for her since they don't have a computer, and aren't likely to get one.