Need ideas for parents gifts

ohitsunshine

My parents are in NY, I am in FL with my husband and kids and my 2 sisters are in VA. We are all getting together in FL in January to celebrate Christmas. The 3 of us kids have about $500-600 to spend altogether and would like to give them something to enjoy together. We also wanted to have family pics done, but that is separate. What ideas or gifts have you done?

If your parents are avid readers the Amazon Kindle is kinda a neat thing. That's what we are getting our mom for Christmas. Maybe a nice video camera so they can take video of all you guys together...I know for my parent's anniversary we are thinking of converting all the home videos from VHS to DVD for them and compacting them.

For our dad he loves various TV shows so we are buying him a bunch of TV seasons. Or how about a his/her digital frames, have pictures of the grandkids and you siblings uploaded onto the digital frames, his frame could have pictures with him and vise versa with her.

Up until last year my two brothers, my sister and I all chipped in for a gift for my parents. Last year my brothers did their own thing but my sister and I still went in together.

Over the years we've bought:

2 weekends at Bed & Breakfasts (different years, one in upstate NY, one in PA - my parents are in NJ)

New TV

Cash to put toward the new stove they were buying during kitchen remodel

Glider Rocker for Mom, Stereo that played everything from LP's to CD's for Dad

Digital Camera

AMEX gift card for dinner, pair of tickets to Broadway show (I don't even remember what they saw...that was the first year we all started chipping in together!)

Thank you for the suggestions so far! We are at a loss. This is the first year chipping in together as my sisters are finally about that age to do so. The funny thing is, they are so different. Mom loves gardening, shopping and reading. Dad loves fishing and flea markets. But when you put them together they bicker...so I am wondering if it would be bad to send them somewhere! Haha, parents...

If your parents are avid readers the Amazon Kindle is kinda a neat thing. That's what we are getting our mom for Christmas. Maybe a nice video camera so they can take video of all you guys together...I know for my parent's anniversary we are thinking of converting all the home videos from VHS to DVD for them and compacting them.

For our dad he loves various TV shows so we are buying him a bunch of TV seasons. Or how about a his/her digital frames, have pictures of the grandkids and you siblings uploaded onto the digital frames, his frame could have pictures with him and vise versa with her.

I have no idea what the Amazon Kindle is, I need to look that up...maybe for myself!

I know for my parents at least that they are tired of coming home from work and cooking dinner, or even going out grocery shopping which I know my Mom hates, so I am going to be buying them a nice large Omaha Steaks gift set for Christmas where they get something like a week (or more) worth of meals that all they have to do is make the steak and heat up the rest. No struggling for ideas of what to make for dinner and no grocery shopping.

Dont know if you parents would like something like that, but they also have a lot of really nice sets, like special occasion dinners and such that you could get for them, and then order a gift card for each of them that can be presented with the dinner to their favorite store/ salon or tickets to a special event, etc.

well is there something they are in need of, that wouldnt really splurge on normally?

A new LCD TV? Computer?

How many grandkids are there?

I just made a photo blanket for one of our coaches, and it runs about $100.

they are very nice, and you can get a collage done too. So you wont have to have all

the kids in one shot. :)

* if you do the blanket, they take about 2-3 weeks to get done, so this isnt something last minute.

I know for my parents at least that they are tired of coming home from work and cooking dinner, or even going out grocery shopping which I know my Mom hates, so I am going to be buying them a nice large Omaha Steaks gift set for Christmas where they get something like a week (or more) worth of meals that all they have to do is make the steak and heat up the rest. No struggling for ideas of what to make for dinner and no grocery shopping.

Dont know if you parents would like something like that, but they also have a lot of really nice sets, like special occasion dinners and such that you could get for them, and then order a gift card for each of them that can be presented with the dinner to their favorite store/ salon or tickets to a special event, etc.

Might be good- I will pass this along, thank you. And I wish someone would get this for me!

Thank you- I cannot believe I did not know what this was! That is pretty slick! I love to read and so does my mother, I may have to look at this some more. Thank you!

this year, my dh and i are giving my inlaws a down blanket and 1,000 thread count sheets. they just have the basic and would never buy themselves any of those.

That is really nice of you- I will take my set in a blue :D My mom is so picky about her dang sheets all of a sudden- she has gone to the extent of giving them away when they don't feel right after washing. Too funny! Did you find any good deals on the ones you are giving?

well is there something they are in need of, that wouldnt really splurge on normally?

A new LCD TV? Computer?

How many grandkids are there?

I just made a photo blanket for one of our coaches, and it runs about $100.

they are very nice, and you can get a collage done too. So you wont have to have all

the kids in one shot. :)

* if you do the blanket, they take about 2-3 weeks to get done, so this isnt something last minute.

I wish they needed something, but they are both so picky and minimal. They JUST got cable like last year! I have 3 of the grandkids and my sister has 1. Where did you have the blanket done?

I had mine done at treasureknit.com

But there area LOTS of places online to get it done. They are all about the same price, give or take a few bucks.

Treasureknit is very helpful.. I've been communicating with a lady via email and she's been most helpful with the whole thing. VERY good customer service. I should get

the product back by monday (cuz of a rush service), so I can let ya know how the quality is.

I had mine done at treasureknit.com

But there area LOTS of places online to get it done. They are all about the same price, give or take a few bucks.

Treasureknit is very helpful.. I've been communicating with a lady via email and she's been most helpful with the whole thing. VERY good customer service. I should get

the product back by monday (cuz of a rush service), so I can let ya know how the quality is.

That would be great, thank you

I always have a hard time shopping for my Mom. When my Dad was alive, I could have never bought something they could share. They were so differnt. I know how you feel. I know that both of them enjoyed a good meal. I like the steak idea. I think they would have liked something like that. Now that it's just my Mom, who is moving accross the street from me this week, I have no idea on what to get her again this year. Over the past fews years, she has stayed at my house on Christmas Eve, so I buy as much for her to open as I do everyone else. I buy a lot of small things and a few expensive. But the blanket I got her last year has never been touched. I bought it because I loved my own so much. We just have different tastes in everything. I have bought her jewerly that she has never worn. And anything she really needs, she buys it for herself. What do you all suggest?

I am still stuck on my grandparents....and what to get them. although I am LOVING the photo blanket idea. That is soooo neat. But there are 187 of us....and i am not sure how to get all of them together or even get the photos to fit on the blanket.

Jen: This is a great idea.....then you could also get them some nice practical things also. I got MIL pampered chef this year. Their stoneware was on clearance so i got large round stone, small bar stone, small spatula, and 4pc micro cooker set for 55.00 shipped.

good luck

I always have a hard time shopping for my Mom. When my Dad was alive, I could have never bought something they could share. They were so differnt. I know how you feel. I know that both of them enjoyed a good meal. I like the steak idea. I think they would have liked something like that. Now that it's just my Mom, who is moving accross the street from me this week, I have no idea on what to get her again this year. Over the past fews years, she has stayed at my house on Christmas Eve, so I buy as much for her to open as I do everyone else. I buy a lot of small things and a few expensive. But the blanket I got her last year has never been touched. I bought it because I loved my own so much. We just have different tastes in everything. I have bought her jewerly that she has never worn. And anything she really needs, she buys it for herself. What do you all suggest?

jarerice maybe we are long lost sisters, ;) because that sounds JUST LIKE my mom! Everything you said. I bought my mom a blanket last year too, she said it was TOO hot and gave it back. :(

I'm having a tough time on my parents and my inlaws this year! No one needs or wants anything!! They all gave me the same response "Just spending time with our kids for Christmas is all we want..." Well that's nice and all, but I want to buy some gifts! lol... I've been entertaining the idea of a gift basket, maybe something from Harry & David, for each set of parents. I don't know. I plan on just walking around some stores and waiting for something to jump out at me!

I am still stuck on my grandparents....and what to get them. although I am LOVING the photo blanket idea. That is soooo neat. But there are 187 of us....and i am not sure how to get all of them together or even get the photos to fit on the blanket.

187?!?!? OMG :eyepoppin:cheesy: You got some busy busy people in your family. :tongue1:

Seriously, I had the same reaction- 187? How many kids did they have and how many kids did each of your aunts/uncles and your parents have?

My grandparents had 11, then each of them had at least 2 most being 5, and by now we have all had 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and even one with 5. Plus some have married into children so all together in 4 generations there are 187 of us. i love it during Christmas because we have a family Christmas party every year and I get to see those that I don't typically through the year get to see or talk to

And this Sunday my grandparents are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary!! All the fam will be here for that also.

It's really not as bad as it sounds.....we are pretty spread out! LOL

My grandparents had 11, then each of them had at least 2 most being 5, and by now we have all had 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and even one with 5. Plus some have married into children so all together in 4 generations there are 187 of us. i love it during Christmas because we have a family Christmas party every year and I get to see those that I don't typically through the year get to see or talk to

And this Sunday my grandparents are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary!! All the fam will be here for that also.

It's really not as bad as it sounds.....we are pretty spread out! LOL

That is great! My dad was one of 13 and they all have kids who have kids. We rent out a hall to have the party- no gift exchanges! All parents bring a small gift and we have a Santa come and hand them out to all the little ones. For the adults, we do an auction and some other games. Its a good time. And to save on postage, there is a table set up with a bucket for each family and we distribute the cards there. There is one person in charge of all address changes, births, marriages, etc and we get a list every year that updates everyone!

That is great! My dad was one of 13 and they all have kids who have kids. We rent out a hall to have the party- no gift exchanges! All parents bring a small gift and we have a Santa come and hand them out to all the little ones. For the adults, we do an auction and some other games. Its a good time. And to save on postage, there is a table set up with a bucket for each family and we distribute the cards there. There is one person in charge of all address changes, births, marriages, etc and we get a list every year that updates everyone!

Sounds just like our party!!! although we don't have santa come anymore just bring gifts for the kids. And we all buy $10 in lottery tickets and then throw them in a basket and each draw 10$ in tickets. It's a lot of fun I love having a big family. Althoug, i don't want that many myself!! :)

I like a lot of these ideas.What about a digital picture frame with all the pics of everyone already loaded on it??

What about new parents?? My sister and BIL willl be new parents a few days after Christmas. They say they don't really want anything so what do I get them? We always exchange and I thought a new parent survival kit would be cool but what would you all suggest??

I like a lot of these ideas.What about a digital picture frame with all the pics of everyone already loaded on it??

What about new parents?? My sister and BIL willl be new parents a few days after Christmas. They say they don't really want anything so what do I get them? We always exchange and I thought a new parent survival kit would be cool but what would you all suggest??

How about one of those temperal lobe themometers(sp)

I like the Omaha Steak idea, are there any coupons out there? MIL wanted steak knives so this would bundle well. Then that would cover step FIL too.

For FIL we got him a sweatshirt (how original huh?) but he doesn't exchange with his kids, we just get him a present. My mom passed away this year but for other years I tried to find little things that went with her hobbies. She quilted so I'd get her a calendar with quilts (She requested this) different fabrics, little tools I'd find at JoAnns on clearance to see if they were helpful. This year I got dad a drill bit set from Sears (BF $9.99) a calendar of Mustangs (the cars as he is totally into Mustangs) and something else that I already have forgotten... Hmmm He used to like getting sweatshirts from his Alma Mater, but he has plenty of those already.