Train Set for 3 year old?

Scruzin

My son got GeoTrax grand Central Station last year for Christmas at 2 1/2, now we also have the airport, two bridges, two towers, saw mill, rock quarry and nature tunnel (plus I think 4 sets of expansion track). He plays with it daily, its great quality and because of the little guys that come with it there is lot of imaginative play as well. It will take up a bit of room, but its a great train set!

The Step2 website has a Deluxe Canyon Road Train & Track table that is great for toddlers. According to their site it has a molded in track and non-removable bridges which keeps Mom and Dad from constantly having to reassemble the track which also reduces frustration for toddlers. It works with Brio, Thomas Train, Hot Wheels, and Matchbox sets. It won Best Holiday Toy 2005 by Nick Jr. magazine. I personally haven't seen these in local stores. But you could try Toys R Us. Or you could just visit the Step2 website. They regularly have sales online with free shipping. good luck.

Geotrax is the best. The kids are able to control the trains and vehicles with their own cordless remotes. It is also VERY sturdy. We own a HUGE bin of the stuff, and have never broken any pieces. And that is with him, and his two older siblings playing with it. My son started collecting it when he was about three. He is now seven.

The Step2 website has a Deluxe Canyon Road Train & Track table that is great for toddlers. According to their site it has a molded in track and non-removable bridges which keeps Mom and Dad from constantly having to reassemble the track which also reduces frustration for toddlers. It works with Brio, Thomas Train, Hot Wheels, and Matchbox sets. It won Best Holiday Toy 2005 by Nick Jr. magazine. I personally haven't seen these in local stores. But you could try Toys R Us. Or you could just visit the Step2 website. They regularly have sales online with free shipping. good luck.

We had this table. It's much better for cars than trains. Stickers peel up too. They prefer to use their Thomas Island of Sodor train table for trains.

Back when DD was 3, we had bought her a Geotrax set for Christmas because she loved trains but no one makes a girly train!!! She is 7 now, and we got rid of it before her little brother came along. She absolutely LOVED it! I wish we hadn't gotten rid of it, but now my DS3 has a Thomas set that he absolutely loves. If I had to recommend one over the other it would be the Geotrax because they can use the remotes to move them around the track, accompanied with train sounds.

my almost 9 year old ds got his first set of geotrax when he was 3 and now him and his 5yr old brother play with the tracks almost every day. My 5yr ds has the motorized thomas set and he plays with the geotrax more. I originally bought the geotrax because the child can control the trains with the controller or push them when they want to.

My DS LOVES his woodenThomas trains. It all started cuz BIL gave him a small Brio set. We also have some of teh off-brand tracks. He is BEGGING for Geo-Trax this year. If you are looking for Thomas, people on here told me last year that Michaels sells them. So I used teh 40 & 50% off coupons last year to build him a nice set. I'm hoping to pick up some Geo-Trax @ Kohls on BF this year.

Wow, I never eve considered GeoTrax, but you all have atleast opened my eyes to the possibility.

Should I consider a set on a train table, or just a set he can put on the floor?

We have never owned a table. My three kids usually just used the WHOLE basement floor and

built a huge track. They would use other toys and pillows to make it more challenging. They

have always had more fun building it than actually playing. They would take forever to build

something, play a few minutes, and then take it apart to make it "cooler"!!! I wouldn't limit

their imaginations by a table, but that is just my opinion.